Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 AM
Registered Member

Re: Massive shakeup going on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyImportant View Post
I don't know if this has been addressed, but I will address it now.
As a member of FUPC DQ, a bit of this information is erroneous.
We are not losing "quite a few members" to any other church. Some have left, but they had considered leaving prior to this issue. Just ask them and they will tell you. To date- we had three longtime members leave. That is a small number and the church has continued to grow in spite of it.
You may consider Bro McMullen radical. I guess if you are carnal minded (which I don't know since I don't personally know you), then he may seem that way. To those who wish to live separated lives, he is an excellent minister and highly regarded.

In final defense of one of the finest pastors and men of God that I have known, Bro Cardwell has never once tried to pull the church out of UPCI, nor has he publicly declared that he was leaving the org or wanting to take the church out of it. These are all rumors started by those who maybe wish to see him removed or have some other agenda.

Irregardless, we are having tremendous revival in spite of the enemy using church members to disrupt it.
I am acquainted with your pastor, and agree that he is top shelf.

Hats off to you for standing up for him here. Faithful, loyal saints are precious beyond words.

And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel."

--Amos 7:14-15
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
I am acquainted with your pastor, and agree that he is top shelf.

Hats off to you for standing up for him here. Faithful, loyal saints are precious beyond words.
I almost spit out my coffee reading this reference to expensive alcohol being used to describe a pastor! LOL!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I almost spit out my coffee reading this reference to expensive alcohol being used to describe a pastor! LOL!!!
I wasn't aware of the origin of that metaphor.

And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel."

--Amos 7:14-15
Old 02-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
I wasn't aware of the origin of that metaphor.
I don't know the origin of the expression but it refers to bars keeping the most expensive liquor up on the top shelf where it is safe from being stolen or broken by accident.

In some restaurants that serve liquor you will see cocktails on the menu at a certain price and then below that another higher price for the same cocktail with "top shelf" of whatever alcohol is used to make it.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Rev Dooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
After I thought about it, I too thought this was funny.
Bro Cardwell is one of the finest men that I have known as well as my former pastor Bro Kinsey. These two have been guiding lights in the lives of my wife and I.
Thank God for pastors who hold the truth.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 PM
david c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
Interesting turn of events!I don't think that some of these pastors took into account that many of their members have deep roots in the UPC.

Actually, I don't think some of these pastors took into account that many of their members had deep use of their own brains. I mean, come on.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Incredible India

Quote:
Originally Posted by david c. View Post
Actually, I don't think some of these pastors took into account that many of their members had deep use of their own brains. I mean, come on.
Could you explain this better?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david c. View Post
Welcome David C.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Dooley View Post
I don't know if this has been addressed, but I will address it now.
As a member of FUPC DQ, a bit of this information is erroneous.
We are not losing "quite a few members" to any other church. Some have left, but they had considered leaving prior to this issue. Just ask them and they will tell you. To date- we had three longtime members leave. That is a small number and the church has continued to grow in spite of it.
You may consider Bro McMullen radical. I guess if you are carnal minded (which I don't know since I don't personally know you), then he may seem that way. To those who wish to live separated lives, he is an excellent minister and highly regarded.

In final defense of one of the finest pastors and men of God that I have known, Bro Cardwell has never once tried to pull the church out of UPCI, nor has he publicly declared that he was leaving the org or wanting to take the church out of it. These are all rumors started by those who maybe wish to see him removed or have some other agenda.

Irregardless, we are having tremendous revival in spite of the enemy using church members to disrupt it.
Bro..That is not entirely true.....The ones of which you speak which are now at our church were members for over 80 years....two of them are my employees. They NEVER had thoughts about leaving.....Just one day...God told them to go....
But ask the Brother in question...he will tell you...God told him to.
Just to clarify.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
Shady Grove (DeRidder) was pastored for many years by Wilbern Ashworth, the longtime presbyter of Section 6.

I'm frankly surprised that Phillips had the stroke to pull the church out.

Shady Grove (Jena) was pastored in the past by Louis Green and Jim Vanover. Dan Davis pastored there before he went to Baton Rouge. C. D. Thornton came out of retirement and pastors there now.

The Jena church is in Section 7, where Leland Briggs is now presbyter after G. A. Mangun retired from the district board after being on it some 150 years or so.
Hey Tim
Jim Vanover was my pastor in Crowley years ago.