Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Re: Is Obama's Pastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
We need a President that represents the "people" and not the “privileged”.
Yes, like George W. Bush who removed millions of low income Americans from the income tax rolls!

Gave them all a 100% tax break!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Ferd, do you believe in taxing those working at or below poverty level?
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

The entire political establishment is corrupt. The Republicans will sell us out for profit. The Democrats are morally bankrupt. I'd almost agree if one argued that voting for either was a grave sin against God and nation.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 01-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

A wonderful study on taxation is in relation to "tax burden". Many people listen to the talk radio nutcases that focus on percentage paid. The real issue is "burden" in relation to cost of living. For example they would say that taxing a person making $30,000 a year and a person making $200,000 a year at an equal percentage such as 17% is "fair". It's a "flat tax" that taxes equally right? Wrong. You see what they are not considering is that these are more than just numbers. These are people contending with the average cost of living. When the cost of rent or mortgage, automobile, gasoline, food, health insurance, and other necessities are considered taxing a person making $30,000 a year at 17% could land them in poverty. They may find they cannot afford a place to live, clothing, a car, insurance, health insurance, etc. They may have to resort to charity and food banks to make ends meet. However the one making $200,000 a year may pay the same percentage, 17%, but they are not endanger of loosing their home, car, or necessities. The "tax burden" is greater felt on the one making $30,000 a year and they are economically in greater dire straights. BUT...a graduated tax system distributes "tax burden" in a more just manner in relation to average cost of living. Certain tax breaks are offered to each but the lesser percentage will be paid by the one making $30,000 a year and a greater percentage will be paid by the one making $200,000 a year. Each will feel the burden of taxation but neither will face economic hardship as a result of taxation...if they manage their money well. Of course the nutcases of talk radio will play on this burden by telling the one making $200,000 a year that it's not "fair", they pay a greater percentage. Like most human beings these individuals will feel cheated and dedicate time and extra resources to elect the politicians the talk radio man promises will help them bring home more dough. These individuals who have been duped into a mistaken notion of "fairness" will not realize they are shifting the tax burden to those less fortunate or who make less. They will always feel cheated and pillaged and a victime mentality is bread in them. It's a political scam.

The issue isn't the percentage of taxes paid...the issue is the hardship of "tax burden" shared.

This of course times into a subject previously mentioned. A person making close to poverty level cannot afford to shoulder a tax burden that would through them below poverty level. Therefore these are generally exempt from paying income taxes. They are classified as "working poor".

The point for us to learn is that what sounds "fair" isn't always "just". God bless.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherHall View Post
Ferd, do you believe in taxing those working at or below poverty level?
Now that is just a silly question.

I was taunting aquilla. not sharpsticking poor people.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherHall View Post
A wonderful study on taxation is in relation to "tax burden". Many people listen to the talk radio nutcases that focus on percentage paid. The real issue is "burden" in relation to cost of living. For example they would say that taxing a person making $30,000 a year and a person making $200,000 a year at an equal percentage such as 17% is "fair". It's a "flat tax" that taxes equally right? Wrong. You see what they are not considering is that these are more than just numbers. These are people contending with the average cost of living. When the cost of rent or mortgage, automobile, gasoline, food, health insurance, and other necessities are considered taxing a person making $30,000 a year at 17% could land them in poverty. They may find they cannot afford a place to live, clothing, a car, insurance, health insurance, etc. They may have to resort to charity and food banks to make ends meet. However the one making $200,000 a year may pay the same percentage, 17%, but they are not endanger of loosing their home, car, or necessities. The "tax burden" is greater felt on the one making $30,000 a year and they are economically in greater dire straights. BUT...a graduated tax system distributes "tax burden" in a more just manner in relation to average cost of living. Certain tax breaks are offered to each but the lesser percentage will be paid by the one making $30,000 a year and a greater percentage will be paid by the one making $200,000 a year. Each will feel the burden of taxation but neither will face economic hardship as a result of taxation...if they manage their money well. Of course the nutcases of talk radio will play on this burden by telling the one making $200,000 a year that it's not "fair", they pay a greater percentage. Like most human beings these individuals will feel cheated and dedicate time and extra resources to elect the politicians the talk radio man promises will help them bring home more dough. These individuals who have been duped into a mistaken notion of "fairness" will not realize they are shifting the tax burden to those less fortunate or who make less. They will always feel cheated and pillaged and a victime mentality is bread in them. It's a political scam.

The issue isn't the percentage of taxes paid...the issue is the hardship of "tax burden" shared.

This of course times into a subject previously mentioned. A person making close to poverty level cannot afford to shoulder a tax burden that would through them below poverty level. Therefore these are generally exempt from paying income taxes. They are classified as "working poor".

The point for us to learn is that what sounds "fair" isn't always "just". God bless.

once again you successfully shoved a bunch of words together.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Now that is just a silly question.

I was taunting aquilla. not sharpsticking poor people.
Well...I figured you were taunting Aquil by sharpsticking poor people. hehe
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
once again you successfully shoved a bunch of words together.
Relax. Just take your time and sound the words out. If you remember your phonetics they'll make sense. LOL