Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-06-2023, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Did pharaoh take Sarai to wife?

Genesis 12:18-20
18......And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What is this that thou hast done unto me? why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife?
19......Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.
20......And Pharaoh commanded his men concerning him: and they sent him away, and his wife, and all that he had.

NIV
19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!

ASV
19 why saidst thou, She is my sister, so that I took her to be my wife? now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.

CSB
19 Why did you say, ‘She’s my sister,’ so that I took her as my wife? Now, here is your wife. Take her and go!

HCSB
19 Why did you say, ‘She’s my sister,’ so that I took her as my wife? Now, here is your wife. Take her and go!

I have always heard and taught that Abraham and Sarai was sent away before any physical relationship took place based from the KJV. Although, it is curious that Abraham received manifold gifts and plagues took place. It makes me wonder if pharaoh did indeed take Sarai to wife unknowingly? Has anyone had any research on this?
Old 01-07-2023, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Re: Did pharaoh take Sarai to wife?

In Genesis 20 it happened again, and God stopped it all before the king touched her. I suspect that is the same with what happened with Pharaoh and Sarah.

Genesis 20:2-4.. And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah. ..(3).. But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife. ..(4).. But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 01-07-2023, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
in genesis 20 it happened again, and god stopped it all before the king touched her. I suspect that is the same with what happened with pharaoh and sarah.

Genesis 20:2-4.. And abraham said of sarah his wife, she is my sister: And abimelech king of gerar sent, and took sarah. ..(3).. But god came to abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife. ..(4).. But abimelech had not come near her: And he said, lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
👍👍👍
Old 01-10-2023, 03:24 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Abraham need to stop playin before he gets a nation unalived cause of his lyin mouth and pretty wife.

😅
Old 01-11-2023, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Abraham need to stop playin before he gets a nation unalived cause of his lyin mouth and pretty wife.

😅
Definitely a low point in the life of Abraham. Although the times in which he lived were much darker. I can't say that anyone else would have done it differently.