Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Praxeas,

What do you think about this passage from Isaiah 3?

16 Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: 17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover F21 their secret parts. 18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, 19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, 20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, 21 The rings, and nose jewels, 22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, 23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. 24 And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty. 25 Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war. 26 And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground.
It doesn't say one thing about jewelry being bad or sinful. It does address their hearts though. It was their pride. Their Attitudes. Look at the verses I posted from Ezekiel

Eze 16:8 "When I passed by you again and saw you, behold, you were at the age for love, and I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness; I made my vow to you and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Lord GOD, and you became mine.
Eze 16:9 Then I bathed you with water and washed off your blood from you and anointed you with oil.
Eze 16:10 I clothed you also with embroidered cloth and shod you with fine leather. I wrapped you in fine linen and covered you with silk.
Eze 16:11 And I adorned you with ornaments and put bracelets on your wrists and a chain on your neck.
Eze 16:12 And I put a ring on your nose and earrings in your ears and a beautiful crown on your head.
Eze 16:13 Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen and silk and embroidered cloth. You ate fine flour and honey and oil. You grew exceedingly beautiful and advanced to royalty.
Eze 16:14 And your renown went forth among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through the splendor that I had bestowed on you, declares the Lord GOD.
Eze 16:15 "But you trusted in your beauty and played the whore because of your renown and lavished your whorings on any passerby; your beauty became his.
Eze 16:16 You took some of your garments and made for yourself colorful shrines, and on them played the whore. The like has never been, nor ever shall be.
Eze 16:17 You also took your beautiful jewels of my gold and of my silver, which I had given you, and made for yourself images of men, and with them played the whore.

Notice the last three verses...it was their heart that mattered

In fact why did God TAKE the jewels away? Because the jewels were evil? Nope. Because THEY were evil. It was punishment. It was a way of humbling them
Old 05-20-2007, 03:44 PM
CupCake

I think Adam and Eve had it right, go naked .
Old 05-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCake View Post
I think Adam and Eve had it right, go naked .
Old 05-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
The law required masters to take an awl and pierce their servants ear ... then an earing was also fastened.
That is true, if the servant wanted to stay with the Master...and we get a crown of life...Gee God doesn't sound like he hates jewelry.

I can understand he hates the pride we exhibit in jewelry and of those that have wealth and of those that trust in riches. I am against wearing a lot of jewelry or spending what in my view would be a lot of money on it. Because I think there are far better things for His kingdom to be spending my money on, if I had money that is :-)

I would not also buy a really expensive car, but I would get what was practical, reliable and got good gas mileage. I also would do that for the principle Paul put forth of not offending my brother and in this case it would be my poor brother. I think we should, if we had the money, better spend it on missions and our poor brothers in other nations just like they did in the bible by giving money to the Jerusalem church
Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Among other things, the Isaiah 3 passage mentions:
scarves
veils
purses
mirrors
robes
outer garments
well-set hair
a sweet smell

These were not given as a list of forbidden items. The prophet was condemning an attitude of pride. He did not condemn the wearing of clothing and ornaments. It's pretty much the same thing Peter wrote of in the third chapter of his first epistle. He was not speaking against arranging hair, wearing gold, or putting on clothing/apparel. He was emphasizing that a Christian's real adorning is the attitude, not the outward stuff.

Some of the most haughty, arrogant, prideful folks I've seen had a scowl on their face and were dressed in "long" dresses which were far from modestly priced. By the way, some of the most "beautiful" ladies I've seen were dressed in ways that would please the strictest folks among us. It's a matter of attitude and the spirit that radiates from the person.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Sister Alvear

Even the angles have robes in heaven..
Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
It doesn't say one thing about jewelry being bad or sinful. It does address their hearts though. It was their pride. Their Attitudes. Look at the verses I posted from Ezekiel

Eze 16:8 "When I passed by you again and saw you, behold, you were at the age for love, and I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness; I made my vow to you and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Lord GOD, and you became mine.
Eze 16:9 Then I bathed you with water and washed off your blood from you and anointed you with oil.
Eze 16:10 I clothed you also with embroidered cloth and shod you with fine leather. I wrapped you in fine linen and covered you with silk.
Eze 16:11 And I adorned you with ornaments and put bracelets on your wrists and a chain on your neck.
Eze 16:12 And I put a ring on your nose and earrings in your ears and a beautiful crown on your head.
Eze 16:13 Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen and silk and embroidered cloth. You ate fine flour and honey and oil. You grew exceedingly beautiful and advanced to royalty.
Eze 16:14 And your renown went forth among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through the splendor that I had bestowed on you, declares the Lord GOD.
Eze 16:15 "But you trusted in your beauty and played the whore because of your renown and lavished your whorings on any passerby; your beauty became his.
Eze 16:16 You took some of your garments and made for yourself colorful shrines, and on them played the whore. The like has never been, nor ever shall be.
Eze 16:17 You also took your beautiful jewels of my gold and of my silver, which I had given you, and made for yourself images of men, and with them played the whore.

Notice the last three verses...it was their heart that mattered

In fact why did God TAKE the jewels away? Because the jewels were evil? Nope. Because THEY were evil. It was punishment. It was a way of humbling them
Again in this post notice what they wore:
bracelets
chains on their necks
nose rings
earrings
crown on their heads
BUT NO FINGERRINGS!

The majority of so-called moderates here would be against wearing all that they wore BUT for that they didn't wear that is telling.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Again in this post notice what they wore:
bracelets
chains on their necks
nose rings
earrings
crown on their heads
BUT NO FINGERRINGS!

The majority of so-called moderates here would be against wearing all that they wore BUT for that they didn't wear that is telling.
They don't mention finger rings....so? It's telling of what? That it's ok to wear all forms of jewelry but finger rings?

BTW....if Jesus was against rings, why would he use a parable depicting God, the church and a backslider returning and the Father putting a ring on his hand? Seems by using this parable rings were accepted.

BTW the only thing that is telling is that the bible does not take the hardlined stance against Jewelry that you do
Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
They don't mention finger rings....so? It's telling of what? That it's ok to wear all forms of jewelry but finger rings?

BTW....if Jesus was against rings, why would he use a parable depicting God, the church and a backslider returning and the Father putting a ring on his hand? Seems by using this parable rings were accepted.

BTW the only thing that is telling is that the bible does not take the hardlined stance against Jewelry that you do
NO what I am saying you are using this to defend finger rings and they are not mentioned but the jewelry that is mentioned I doubt very seriously if you think a saint should wear it today?? Do you??? NOSE RINGS??????????????
Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Abraham's servant brings jewelry, on Abe's behalf, to the future bride of his son:

New American Bible:

Genesis 24

The man watched her the whole time, silently waiting to learn whether or not the LORD had made his errand successful. 22 When the camels had finished drinking, the man took out a gold ring weighing half a shekel, which he fastened on her nose, and two gold bracelets weighing ten shekels, which he put on her wrists. 23 Then he asked her: "Whose daughter are you? Tell me, please. And is there room in your father's house for us to spend the night?" 24 She answered: "I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, whom she bore to Nahor. 25 There is plenty of straw and fodder at our place," she added, "and room to spend the night." 26 The man then bowed down in worship to the LORD, 27 saying: "Blessed be the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not let his constant kindness toward my master fail. As for myself also, the LORD has led me straight to the house of my master's brother."

Interestingly the KJV translates the Hebrew word nexem simply as ring ... when indeed it is a nose ring?:

nexem (neh'-zem) a) a nose ring [woman's ornament]; b) an earring [ornament of men or women] (5141)

What sayest thou? Rebekah got a nose ring from father Abraham?

Yeah it was probably to pull her around with the rest of her SERVILE life.
Women were property back then and if I remember right were purchased
by a dowry.I am sure she was conditioned for this life by the camel affair..lol..
I wonder if the women on this forum would love a nose ring and to be sold to a relative and then get to water camels everyday a bucket at a time...nadda for me.Keep your nose ring to yourself.