Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-29-2022, 02:33 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: The fellowship of the believers

Thank you Esaias

In the passage I linked, Ignatius associates immortality with the Lord's Supper, which would imply remission of sin in breaking bread and blessing the cup?

But John says, in essence, that if we sin after obeying Acts 2:38, we confess and repent to be forgiven.

So, what is the spiritual significance of the Lord's Table?

Last edited by Amanah; 12-29-2022 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:24 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Anyone who would like to comment on The Lord's Table, 1 Corinthians 11, I liked to hear what you have to say.

I've always thought of breaking the bread and blessing the cup as a time of remembrance of our Lord's sacrifice, a time to discern the body of believers in appreciation, and wondered what the warning about some becoming sick, or even having fallen asleep actually means.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:52 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Thank you Esaias

In the passage I linked, Ignatius associates immortality with the Lord's Supper, which would imply remission of sin in breaking bread and blessing the cup?

But John says, in essence, that if we sin after obeying Acts 2:38, we confess and repent to be forgiven.

So, what is the spiritual significance of the Lord's Table?
The Catholics believe their version of the Lord's Supper is a "Mass", that is, a SACRIFICE. The bread is called the "host" which means "sacrificial victim". They believe the words of the "Institution" (This is my body, etc) change the bread into the actual flesh of Jesus. The Orthodox say it is the words of the Epiklesis (prayer for the Holy Spirit to turn the bread into Christ's flesh) effect the change. Anyways, the Mass then is an actual sacrifice of Jesus. From this they believe that partaking of the bread is a requirement to maintain remission of sins and eternal life.

The real significance of the Lord's Table is that we as a community partake of the new covenant Passover memorial meal, demonstrating our association with Christ and one another which is a spiritual communion or fellowship with Christ and His assembly.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-29-2022, 10:11 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Anyone who would like to comment on The Lord's Table, 1 Corinthians 11, I liked to hear what you have to say.

I've always thought of breaking the bread and blessing the cup as a time of remembrance of our Lord's sacrifice, a time to discern the body of believers in appreciation, and wondered what the warning about some becoming sick, or even having fallen asleep actually means.
1 Corinthians 11:18-34 KJV
For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. [19] For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. [20] When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. [21] For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. [22] What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not. [23] For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. [25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. [26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. [27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. [28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. [29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. [30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. [31] For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. [32] But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world. [33] Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. [34] And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

1. The Lord's Supper was a full meal supplied by the participants as they were able in commemoration of the Lord's death, looking forward to His coming. As such it is both a fellowship meal as well as an evangelistic sermon (a proclaiming of the Gospel).

2. Some were eating and drinking their full before others were able to arrive. This would be the more well to do eating the food before the poorer (laborers, slaves, etc) could get to the meeting. So the late comers had nothing to eat and so missed out.

3. The inconsiderate in 2 above were not discerning the Lord's Body (the church with their poorer brethren) and were partaking "unworthily". This paralleled Judas eating the Supper with Christ but still betraying Him. So the inconsiderate were acting like Judas which was manifesting in how they approached the Supper.

4. The lack of love this abuse engendered threatens the soul because he that loveth not his brother is lost (see 1 John).

5. This spiritually weakens the church and health and healing are diminished as a result. So some are weak, sickly, and some have even died.

6. Paul rebukes them for this and says to "check yourself" to make sure you aren't acting like a Judas. He says the things happening (plus his rebuke) are corrective measures taken by God to get the congregation back on the right track so the church doesn't wind up condemned with the rest of the world.

7. So they were to wait until the church was fully assembled to eat, so that all could participate. If somebody was so hungry they couldn't wait then they needed to eat at home before they came to the meeting instead of stuffing themselves at the Supper to the detriment of others.

8. The Supper included a single loaf of bread divided up among the members, and a single cup of wine shared by all taken toward the end of the meal. One loaf, one cup. The multiple crackers and thimbles of wine/juice thing is NOT the Lord's Supper, nor any kind of supper!

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Last edited by Esaias; 12-29-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 10:28 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Thank you Esaias. I think you nailed it.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:26 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Is anyone else having issues posting today? Started getting a 403-Forbidden error...when quoting a post and trying to use an emoticon...

Old 12-29-2022, 04:30 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Is anyone else having issues posting today? Started getting a 403-Forbidden error...when quoting a post and trying to use an emoticon...
Yes, I just got that error
Old 12-29-2022, 04:31 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Yes, I just got that error
Then added some text and it posted
Old 12-29-2022, 04:58 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Hmmm...

Old 02-15-2024, 12:44 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
The manner in which most churches "do communion" is a stripped down Protestantized version of the catholic Mass (wafer and thimble, morose inspection, attempt to be all somber and super-serious, etc). The timing (once a year, usually at New Year's Eve) developed among Reformed churches (especially in Scotland) as a counter to the Daily Mass (it was considered too important to be doing often lest it become too familiar and common and lose its impressiveness).

The New Year's thing originated in the 7th or 8th Day of Christmastide, during which the Catholic Church held a Vigil (late night Mass). The Lutherans and Anglicans kept it. The Moravians turned it into a Communion service combined with late night prayer service. Thus was born the Watchnight Service. Wesley got it from the Moravians and so the Methodists did it. From there it spread to the later Holiness Movement (which came from Methodism) and was even picked up by Baptists and Adventists. From the Holiness and Baptist movements it continued among 20th century Pentecostals.

So basically it is a Catholic ritual observance given a Protestant/evangelical flavour.

He meant they must get their spiritual sustenance (life) from Him, which would be made available through faith in His suffering and death and resurrection. The Lord's Supper (not "the communion") is a fellowship meal and memorial of His sacrifice that unites us as His Body and is essentially the New Covenant replacement of the old Passover meal which reminds us of our fellowship (communion) with Him and each other as the people and household of God. The original church ate the Lord's Supper often (usually at every regular meeting).

If the Lord's Supper is the new Covenant replacement of the Passover meal, why celebrate the Passover?