Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Looking for info about Mark Hanby or Verbal Bean?

Mark Hanby - I've heard a lot of good and some of his downfall (and about his Dad S.R.). I've heard he was as gifted as any preacher of his time but fell due to alcoholism and other issues. Anyone have an stories? What happened?

Verbal Bean - A man of God, what else can be said. I've read the book about Laurel, MS. Can any of you share stories? I really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Re: Looking for info about Mark Hanby or Verbal Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyFire View Post
Mark Hanby - I've heard a lot of good and some of his downfall (and about his Dad S.R.). I've heard he was as gifted as any preacher of his time but fell due to alcoholism and other issues. Anyone have an stories? What happened?

Verbal Bean - A man of God, what else can be said. I've read the book about Laurel, MS. Can any of you share stories? I really appreciate it. Thanks!
Elder Bean had many 100 soul revivals also God used him to clean churches out of worldliness and formalism. Churches where the pulpit had been muzzled by church boards were delivered where the pastors could fulfil their Biblical offices and authority. Not only did God show Elder Bean conditions such as sicknesses and problems he revealed sins in churches and individuals. He was truly a Prophet.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Mark Hanby was an amazing man of God for a time.
Many of my relatives knew him well.

Verbal Bean was a man who walked in the Spirit.
He was mightily used of God.
Some of his sermons are still available here at this site:

http://www.apostolicclassics.com/1.html
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

I have heard Mark Hanby preach. I have also heard his Dad preach. Both were men of God with an anointing but Mark surpassed his father in preaching skills. Mark was a bright and shining star in the UPC for a while but some thing happened (I really don't know what) and he wound up having a divorce (maybe 2 divorces) and just kinda disappeared from the scene. As far as I know he is still alive somewhere and ministering.

I never heard Verbal Bean in person. Back in 1956/57 when I was in Bible School in St. Paul, MN one of the kids from Louisiana talked some about him and his ministry --how he was a man of prayer and a very effective preacher. As far as I know he has three books available: Prayer; The Works of the Holy Ghost; and The Battlefield. I have read all three (actually read the one on Prayer twice) and would recommend them. I may not agree with everything he preached and with some of his "altar work" methods, but I consider him a man of God.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM
All Because Jesus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I have heard Mark Hanby preach. I have also heard his Dad preach. Both were men of God with an anointing but Mark surpassed his father in preaching skills. Mark was a bright and shining star in the UPC for a while but some thing happened (I really don't know what) and he wound up having a divorce (maybe 2 divorces) and just kinda disappeared from the scene. As far as I know he is still alive somewhere and ministering.

I never heard Verbal Bean in person. Back in 1956/57 when I was in Bible School in St. Paul, MN one of the kids from Louisiana talked some about him and his ministry --how he was a man of prayer and a very effective preacher. As far as I know he has three books available: Prayer; The Works of the Holy Ghost; and The Battlefield. I have read all three (actually read the one on Prayer twice) and would recommend them. I may not agree with everything he preached and with some of his "altar work" methods, but I consider him a man of God.

Altar Work methods? now you know you can't lay something out there like that without elaborating....
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Robbins View Post
Altar Work methods? now you know you can't lay something out there like that without elaborating....
OK, I've heard this second hand so consider it second hand. I have heard that Verbal Bean would have the "seeker" repeat a "word" that was something like "willadoo" or something like that, telling them it was French for something and that it would be easier for them to yield and go into "tongues" if they repeated that word often and fast enough.

If Eld. Epley sees this post he may be able to corroborate or correct me on this.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

When I came into pentecost in 1981 Mark Hanby had already left the UPC but still had sort of a celebrity status as a very charasmatic speaker. People still went to lengths to get copies of his messages. Used to have several of his tapes. Someone told me once that he was elevated to a status that was surely to doom him eventually.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

He had an excellent TV presentation called WIDE WORLD OF TRUTH that was on CBN around 1980. What I heard of him in the later times did not impress me. Sounded much like a supposed "deeper life" Charismatic type.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:15 PM
crakjak

Verbal Bean when I was fairly young, held a thirteen week revival at a church in Irving, TX. That church went down hill and the pastor was accused of burning the building down. The people regrouped and the church became the church pastored by Jack Dehart and now by his son in law Dan Dean.
Mark Hanby rose in the UPC to celebrity status, very charismatic preacher, I very caught up in his ministry in the 70's. Pastored in FT. Worth TX, the church was previously pastored by Bro. McDonald, it later was named Truth Church. Later I lost interest in his ministry, just did seem to have the same "anointing" as earlier. Of course most know of his crash and the church's decline.

I believe God leads folks in their pursuit of Himself, and leaders fulfill a role in one's growth at a particular time, and then one must move on to continue to grow. Rare is the spiritual leader that continues to grow and leads the same folks for a lifetime.

I was very moved by both of these men for a time, I was not around VB long enough to know how his leadership would have been longer term. Their are many of those folks from that revival that are still walking with the Lord most have moved on in their spiritual understanding. I believe that to be a good thing for the most part. Same is true of those that were under MH's ministry in FTW.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

I know that I have read that Bro. Bean severely disliked the type of foolishness that you heard about him (I have seen men who have great results accused of fakery by those who were jealous). I seem to remember in his teaching on prayer (might have been in one of the other two) that he came down hard on those who practiced such things. I also would be interested in hearing Bro. Epley speak concerning the charge as I had never heard, nor would believe, such a thing concerning him.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.