Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

"Holiness" From the WPF Articles of Faith...

http://www.worldwidepf.com/page.php?ID=29

"All artifice is viewed as obstruction to her authentic beauty and is to be avoided (I Timothy 2:9,10). Jewelry, (I Timothy 2:9), make-up, (II Kings 9:3) dyes, and any other artificiality, as well as immodest apparel, are viewed as attempts to artificially induce beauty (Isaiah 3:16-24 RSV, I Peter 3:1-5) and replace the lost glow of God’s glory as seen in the face of the believer as well as in the heavens. All this is Scripturally associated with Jezebel, who is both an Old Testament (I Kings 18:4, 19:1-2, II Kings 9:7,30), as well as New Testament, example of seduction and artificiality (Revelation 2:20,22). Thus, “cosmetics,” derived from “cosmos” (arrangement, as in the universe) are attempts to “make-up” the sparkle and glow, which is normative in the presence of the living God as well as within the believer (Philippians 2:15).

It's a good thing the Bible didn't say anything about Gaudy and Expensive Hats...I've seen some of the General Councils family Hat collection....

Hair..
Mankind requires both feminine and masculine gender to complete the role as revealer of God’s image, that is, being made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27). Thus, Scripture is firmly consistent in its insistence on maintaining feminine/masculine distinctions. This is done in numerous ways, ranging from repeated explanations of the order of nature (I Corinthians 15:38-41; I Corinthians 11:3), including sexual relations being normative between male and female (Genesis 2:24, 4:1,2; Proverbs 18:22), to injunctions concerning dress, and distinctions between things which are associated with men versus things which are associated with women I Corinthians 6:9, Deuteronomy 22:5, I Corinthians 11:4,5, 14,15). Pants, for example, scripturally and historically are equivalent to “girding up the loins like a man” (Job 38:3), something women did not do (Deuteronomy 22:5). Included in these distinctions were occupations and activities which were masculine as opposed to those considered feminine (I Timothy 5:14; Titus 2:4,5 and Titus 2:6-8). Hair is also an outward distinctive which Scripture utilizes to display this principle. Cut hair for masculine (I Corinthians 11:4, 13), uncut hair for feminine (I Corinthians 11:5,6,14), are also examples utilized to emphasize this principle (I Corinthians 11:7-9). Even in the liberty, freedom, and gender equivalency of New Testament birth of the Spirit and ministry, (Galatians 3:28; Ephesians 2:15,16) Paul firmly delineates equality in ministry as a separate thing from destruction of feminine and masculine distinctions (Acts 2:17,18). He insists that women and men, though both can be equally anointed, (Acts 21:9; I Corinthians 12:10) nevertheless are to maintain their order and gender distinction outwardly by man’s cut hair and the woman’s uncut hair (I Corinthians 11:13-15). These guidelines clearly cannot be dismissed as local cultural biases of days gone by. Nor can they be classified as parochial issues germane only to a certain day or time. They are, instead, connected to the permanent ground and order of Creation and should not be abrogated due to whim and fancy of a worldly society.

Interesting...
Old 01-29-2008, 09:47 AM
pentecostisalive

Re: "Holiness" From the WPF Articles of Faith...

Good Stuff....
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Well, no feathers or tiring of heads in that org............
Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 AM
CaliG

Hey Everyone,
I am posting for the first time so totally do not know what I am doing. I do have a serious question about an excerpt from the AOF of the WWPF. I believe that it states that all ministers will "avoid, to the best of my ability, every appearance of evil, shall follow after holy living and shun worldliness in all its carnal and ungodly, forms and places; entertainment or otherwise". Then they are inviting all their Ministers and Wives to their retreat in Branson and they are promoting Silver Dollar City and Shepherd of the Hills. I am really not trying to be ridiculous here, but I am truly wondering who decides what is worldly and carnal and what is not? Can someone help me out with this? When you go to Silver Dollar City can you go to the Big Screen shows, saloon shows, etc? And what is the difference between Shepherd of the Hills and a Broadway show (except of course the level of excellence in acting?) I will wait to hear from all you experienced Bible scholars out there. Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 05:08 AM
philjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliG View Post
Hey Everyone,
I am posting for the first time so totally do not know what I am doing. I do have a serious question about an excerpt from the AOF of the WWPF. I believe that it states that all ministers will "avoid, to the best of my ability, every appearance of evil, shall follow after holy living and shun worldliness in all its carnal and ungodly, forms and places; entertainment or otherwise". Then they are inviting all their Ministers and Wives to their retreat in Branson and they are promoting Silver Dollar City and Shepherd of the Hills. I am really not trying to be ridiculous here, but I am truly wondering who decides what is worldly and carnal and what is not? Can someone help me out with this? When you go to Silver Dollar City can you go to the Big Screen shows, saloon shows, etc? And what is the difference between Shepherd of the Hills and a Broadway show (except of course the level of excellence in acting?) I will wait to hear from all you experienced Bible scholars out there. Thanks
Not being a Bible Scholar, I am not attempting to answer your questions. I just wanted to point out that many of the conservatives here, especially those from MISSISSIPPI will probably shy away from interacting with you due to your chosen sign in name.

One question, other than in your name, in what other ways are you similar to AliG of Borat fame?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliG View Post
Hey Everyone,

Good Question.....But Branson is a Sacred Land of Delights to the Extra Conservatives.....so you probably won't get an answer...
Old 01-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

If you don't know the difference between Silver Dollar City and things which are unwholesome and ungodly, I doubt if an explanation on an internet forum could enlighten you.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
If you don't know the difference between Silver Dollar City and things which are unwholesome and ungodly, I doubt if an explanation on an internet forum could enlighten you.
Do you consider Disneyland wholesome and fun???
Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Do you consider Disneyland wholesome and fun???
I have never been, and have really no opinion, nor basis from which to form an opinion.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
I have never been, and have really no opinion, nor basis from which to form an opinion.
Would you go if afforded the oppurtunity?