Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

Chester, You were right. The Apostolic Emergents -

ARE HERE ....

http://revertolution.org/rvt/2010/11...olic-emergent/

Quote:
You may be experiencing cognitive dissonance after reading the title. The anxiety is rooted in the belief that I am simultaneously holding contradictory or otherwise incompatible beliefs by placing Apostolic and Emergent together. But, if it helps, I did it with good reason.

In some small way, I would like for you to experience what I experience each time I read an article like Hipster Faith by Brett McCracken in Christianity Today, or a book like Why We’re Not Emergent by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck. Each time I am presented with two options: to be Emergent or not to be Emergent, yet the tension lies in the reality that I am culturally Emergent and theologically Apostolic. As a result, I have come to the conclusion that I can be both Apostolic and Emergent. I hope you will give me a moment to explain.

After reading works attempting to define Emergents, here’s what I tend to find: in some ways I am much the same as Emergents and in other ways, I am much different. Take the list below for instance. After reading the article by McCraken I made a list of the similarities and differences that I shared with Hipsters (a.k.a. – Emergents) and shared it with some friends:

Quote:
Truth be known, I am Apostolic. I believe that covenant initiation is the beautiful surrender of seeking forgiveness, turning away from sin, having the name of Jesus Christ called over me in water baptism, receiving the Spirit of Christ in my life with the initial sign of speaking in a language that I have never learned, and giving myself wholly to a life of holiness consecrated to my God and Savior Jesus Christ.

At the same time, it is because of the cultural similarities that I share with Emergents that my heart if filled with hope. Maybe—just maybe—Jesus has allowed me to be born in this postmodern era, so that I could authentically relate to a lost and hurting generation that needs to hear the gospel story.

So, how do we resolve the tension of being Apostolic and Emergent? Honestly, I’m not entirely sure yet.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Saved by Grace

Re: Chester, You were right. The Apostolic Emergen

It doesn't matter what you believe, it matters what you say. To label oneself "Emergent" is buzz word suicide for an "apostolic".

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Poor guy ... he thinks being cool is emergent.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
It doesn't matter what you believe, it matters what you say. To label oneself "Emergent" is buzz word suicide for an "apostolic".
Do you think he has a death wish ... I think he thinks it's just a cool hip label.

Methodological ... while keeping THE DOCTRINE.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAII View Post
Do you think he has a death wish ... I think he thinks it's just a cool hip label.

Methodological ... while keeping THE DOCTRINE.
I don't know, I'm not that interested in all that mess anymore, I threw in the UPC 3 step towel. My point is that buzzwords are attached to people and the perception of their person associated with said buzzword is more important that what that person actually believes. So I don't know why someone would attach the "emergent" buzzword to themselves.

I think he may be trying to be "cool" and wanting to be "cutting edge", but in the org that will backfire on him. Whereas, if he had not publically identified himself as "emergent" he could easily go one for years believing the exact same things, without social reprocussions.

Some have attempted to turn the church into a good ole boys club, what's new?

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Cool is what you are. Not what you try to be. Site is down; I hope this is over.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

If God would call you to preach to the heathens? would you not consider his call to save them? and possibly do just that! Why then do we refuse the same reasoning in the out reach to others, who may need our help also? now, think of it like this, do we chose to only tell a few, and leave others alone? what if it was someone in your family? should they be left out? If you can help save a soul, do it with all your strength. God with you!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

ah this post is two years old and the author has been banned,even though i liked him i didnt always agree with him.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

"Emergent"?

What ever happened to just being a Christian?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf