Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
"why callest me good"

Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Question Luke 18:19

Luke 18:19 "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God."

The Christadelphian I encountered, quoted "why call me good?" that only God is good and therefore, Jesus was denying he is God.

How does one respond to this?

Thanks
BD
Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Re: Luke 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
Luke 18:19 "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God."

The Christadelphian I encountered, quoted "why call me good?" that only God is good and therefore, Jesus was denying he is God.

Thanks
BD
Are you the Christadelphian you "encountered"...
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

No I am not.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

This is how I respond.

It depends upon what kind of Spirit he/she comes at you with. One can feel if someone truly wants an answer because they are confused, or if they are trying to trap you with nonsense for argument sake. Why quibble with Luke 18:19 when there are so many other scriptures that confirm that Christ was God manifested in the flesh? I would give him/her those scripture. Here's just few for appetizers.

I and my Father are one.

(John 10:30)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
(John 1:1-3, 10,14)

Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

(John 5:18)

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

(John 14:9)

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

(John 14:10)

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

(I Timothy 3:16)

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
(Phillippians 2:6-8)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Austin

Quote:

Thanks
BD
Jesus always had a very wise way about him when ever people approached him. He knew their intents and their thoughts.
In that verse he is really going a lot deeper into what this person said then what meets the eye of the readers. He is asking this person a question concerning his faith toward the Messiah and challenging this person's demeanor toward religious people.
The most important thing Jesus saw in this man was the ruler's personal relationship with the true God of Israel.A relationship which he did not have even though he was very religious and seen as a godly man by others. This was later proven when put to the test to sell all his wordly things and take the money and give it away to those in need.
Jesus said to the Pharisees," If you knew God you would know me, but you do not know God, but you are of your father the devil and his will you do, A great light has come into darkness but men love the darkness more than the light and will not come to the light that they might be saved.

I guess if i were Jesus or an angel I would say, " Seek the truth other than what religion has taught you and you shall find it".
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

You are right, Christadelphians tend to be 'chip on shoulder".

I am wondering myself, Did Jesus in anyway limit his knowledge while on earth?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:

I would not rule that out.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Genesis 11:10

Quote:

He said He didn't know when He was coming back.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Jesus was speaking from his perspective as a man, just as the oneness espouses that Christ was 100% humanity and 100% deity. At times He spoke as God and at other times as man.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Jesus was speaking from his perspective as a man, just as the oneness espouses that Christ was 100% humanity and 100% deity. At times He spoke as God and at other times as man.
How does Acts 1 and Rev 1:1 come into play? Please explain your understanding.

Thanks
BD