Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:05 PM

Is Apostolic CUSSIN' sinful?

Some examples of Apostolic cussin':

Quote:
This is a pure load of organic material.
Quote:
If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with.......well let's change that naughty word to buffoonery....
Then OF COURSE there's the EL TORO AWARD ....

My favorite was ... PP"s ...

Quote:
I really don't give a flyin' fajita how much jewelry Rhoni or anyone else wears
__________________________________________________ _______________________

We use euphemisms every day and they are a creative part of language ....

A euphemism is an expression intended by the speaker to be less offensive, disturbing, or troubling to the listener than the word or phrase it replaces, or in the case of doublespeak to make it less troublesome for the speaker.

Some are absolutely harmless ... for example the euphemisms we use for DEATH.

Wiki:

The English language contains numerous euphemisms related to dying, death, burial, and the people and places which deal with death. The practice of using euphemisms for death is likely to have originated with the "magical belief that to speak the word "death" was to invite death; where to "draw Death's attention" is the ultimate bad fortune—a common theory holds that death is a taboo subject in most English-speaking cultures for precisely this reason. It may be said that one is not dying, but fading quickly because the end is near. People who have died are referred to as having passed away or passed or departed.

Deceased
is a euphemism for "dead," and sometimes the deceased is said to have gone to a better place, but this is used primarily among the religious with a concept of Heaven.

Others include common euphemisms include...
  • pre-owned vehicles for used cars
  • A student being held back a grade level for having failed the grade level
  • correctional facility for prison
  • the big C for cancer (in addition, some people whisper the word when they say it in public, and doctors have euphemisms to use in front of patients, e.g. "c.a.")
  • bathroom tissue, t.p., or bath tissue for toilet paper (Usually used by toilet paper manufacturers)
  • custodian or caretaker for janitor (also originally a euphemism — in Latin, it means doorman.)
  • sanitation worker (or, sarcastically, sanitation engineer) for "garbage man" (Also known as dustman in the UK)
However, is it OK for us to replace cuss words???
Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Some examples of Apostolic cussin':

Then OF COURSE there's the EL TORO AWARD ....

My favorite was ... PP"s ...

__________________________________________________ _______________________

We use euphemisms every day and they are a creative part of language ....

A euphemism is an expression intended by the speaker to be less offensive, disturbing, or troubling to the listener than the word or phrase it replaces, or in the case of doublespeak to make it less troublesome for the speaker.

Some are absolutely harmless ... for example the euphemisms we use for DEATH.

Wiki:

The English language contains numerous euphemisms related to dying, death, burial, and the people and places which deal with death. The practice of using euphemisms for death is likely to have originated with the "magical belief that to speak the word "death" was to invite death; where to "draw Death's attention" is the ultimate bad fortune—a common theory holds that death is a taboo subject in most English-speaking cultures for precisely this reason. It may be said that one is not dying, but fading quickly because the end is near. People who have died are referred to as having passed away or passed or departed.

Deceased
is a euphemism for "dead," and sometimes the deceased is said to have gone to a better place, but this is used primarily among the religious with a concept of Heaven.

Others include common euphemisms include...
  • pre-owned vehicles for used cars
  • A student being held back a grade level for having failed the grade level
  • correctional facility for prison
  • the big C for cancer (in addition, some people whisper the word when they say it in public, and doctors have euphemisms to use in front of patients, e.g. "c.a.")
  • bathroom tissue, t.p., or bath tissue for toilet paper (Usually used by toilet paper manufacturers)
  • custodian or caretaker for janitor (also originally a euphemism — in Latin, it means doorman.)
  • sanitation worker (or, sarcastically, sanitation engineer) for "garbage man" (Also known as dustman in the UK)
However, is it OK for us to replace cuss words???
Nope...but this is just my humble opinion.

I am not the forum police or anywhere else for that matter. I have a hard enough time making sure my lips speak that which genders peace and not grief, both for my benefit and the hearer.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Ronzo

uhoh................ lol
Old 06-01-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Nope...
Would the venue change your mind ... let's say a CREATIVE EUPHEMISM ... is told from the pulpit????
Old 06-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Any statement made with the connotation of declaring something to be a negative thing, is the spirit of cursing, not just cussing. To speak a word to something as though to make it bad by virture of the very speech towards it is "cursing" it. Man, God laid that conviction on me a while ago.

A curse is technically the speaking forth of something to suffer. And it is the same spirit when we speak to something and label it a negative name, when it actually is not so. Similarly, when people say GOD BLESS YOU, it is a bl3essing put towards someone that through our proclamation of it we are changing that person's normal experience to be a blessed one from God

Just a thought, anyway.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Any statement made with the connotation of declaring something to be a negative thing, is the spirit of cursing, not just cussing. To speak a word to something as though to make it bad by virture of the very speech towards it is "cursing" it. Man, God laid that conviction on me a while ago.

A curse is technically the speaking forth of something to suffer. And it is the same spirit when we speak to something and label it a negative name, when it actually is not so. Similarly, when people say GOD BLESS YOU, it is a bl3essing put towards someone that through our proclamation of it we are changing that person's normal experience to be a blessed one from God

Just a thought, anyway.
Thanks Elder Blume ... something to chew on.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:

Just a thought, anyway.
Lots of people on here do no believe this, but I do. Read the thread on calling names from the pulpit; evidently they do no believe in the power of blessing and cursing.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Superheros are evil...

Quote:
Any statement made with the connotation of declaring something to be a negative thing, is the spirit of cursing, not just cussing. To speak a word to something as though to make it bad by virture of the very speech towards it is "cursing" it. ....
If this be true, I've seen a fair amount of cursing of the UPC & charismatic movements on this site.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "GL" View Post
If this be true, I've seen a fair amount of cursing of the UPC & charismatic movements on this site.
You are correct.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 PM
God's Son

If a legalistic nazi calls a fellow member of charismatic are they cursing?

Quote:

Just a thought, anyway.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV