Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Bro.Bob

Holy Ghost Revivals

How does everyone feel about having "Holy Ghost" services? In the last few years they are getting more and more popular.

I personally almost puked the first time I heard a big name preacher tell the crowd...."repeat after me"........."you have now repented?.............."now at the count of three everyone will recieve the holy ghost and speak with other tongues"...........1...2....3........"praise the lord" .... 234 people just got saved..

This is at UPC services, I am not against people getting the Acts 2:38 experience, but I disagree with the direction of the UPC when it comes to stuff like this. I believe that to have a LIFE LONG experience with God, it takes more depth than this type of service can provide. Is it ALL about NUMBERS???

what say ye????????
Old 09-02-2007, 07:45 AM
philjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro.Bob View Post
How does everyone feel about having "Holy Ghost" services? In the last few years they are getting more and more popular.

I personally almost puked the first time I heard a big name preacher tell the crowd...."repeat after me"........."you have now repented?.............."now at the count of three everyone will recieve the holy ghost and speak with other tongues"...........1...2....3........"praise the lord" .... 234 people just got saved..

This is at UPC services, I am not against people getting the Acts 2:38 experience, but I disagree with the direction of the UPC when it comes to stuff like this. I believe that to have a LIFE LONG experience with God, it takes more depth than this type of service can provide. Is it ALL about NUMBERS???

what say ye????????
While I am not willing to judge the behaviors of others, I will confess that this type of service has never set well with me. I rue the lack of genuine heartfelt Godly Sorrow leading to repentance.

I guess you being in OK and me being from OK might contribute to our particular perspective on this matter.

That said, I am of the opinion that I would rather have 10 that stick than 200 that don't. My experience has been that those who are faithful in seeking God unto a full revelation and a receipt of the beautiful gift of the Holy Ghost out of genuine heartfelt hunger stick whereas those who respond to a hyper emotional cheerleading session, do the repeat after me thing, and then are told the "STEPS" for receiving the Holy Ghost do not.

Now everyone, Fire away!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

I have been to services where praying people were led to repeat a bunch of 'lalalalalalala's' and then proclaimed from the pulpit that they'd received the Holy Ghost.

I was right in front of a preacher to was shouting into a girl's ear, "Lalalalalalala...that's it.......lalalalalalalala.....that's it, come on..."

He then ran to the pulpit to announce that she'd received the Holy Ghost.

I doubt it.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 AM

A taboo subject. The bible says that world shall know we are His disciples when we love one another. The fruit of the Spirit should be the measuring stick not how many had an experience.

Speaking in tongues is a sign to the unbeliever ... yet we have believers go in a frenzy thinking someone is finally saved because they spoke in tongues. Our prayer language is for edification, empowerment and intercession between us and God.

Phil, someone commented that there was a time we celebrated when a sinner came to the altar and demonstrated heartfelt genuine repentance ... today ... we've mechanized salvation.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 AM
BANNED MYSELF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
A taboo subject. The bible says that world shall know we are His disciples when we love one another. The fruit of the Spirit should be the measuring stick not how many had an experience.

Speaking in tongues is a sign to the unbeliever ... yet we have believers go in a frenzy thinking someone is finally saved because they spoke in tongues. Our prayer language is for edification and intercession between us and God.

Phil, someone commented that there was a time we celebrated when a sinner came to the altar and demonstrated heartfelt genuine repentance ... today ... we've mechanized salvation.

Sadly, this is true. I saw this thing go on in a UPC church not far from me. Then they are counted on the registry as number received Holy Ghost and this is published in the UPC magazine. Question is are their names written in the Lamb's Book of Life? UPC roll or His roll? Let's hope both. A friend told me that the UPCI was imploding because of greed and deceit. I don't know. All organizations have problems. I am not UPC, but I see much about UPC that I want to stay away from. Good bye. Headed to church. Pray for the UPCI and all oneness churches.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:

what say ye????????
We had one of these services where I'm from...it was amazing...so much went into it to prepare. We were working toward it for months, much prayer and fasting and we had people come in to teach those who wanted to how to work in the altars. While I'm not all too happy with UPC right now, I can't stand this kind of criticism. The Holy Ghost Crusade we were a part of was powerful...God was there! It's not as if you have these types of services once a month.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Philippians 4

Quote:

what say ye????????
I would like to, and rather see more of these type Revivals
1 Cor 14
1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.[b] 3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[c] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues,[d] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
1 Cor 12
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
I would like to, and rather see more of these type Revivals
1 Cor 14
1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.[b] 3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[c] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues,[d] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
1 Cor 12
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
Now that's Chareesmatic ... sister Darse.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Philippians 4

Quote:

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 09-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Or maybe its a happening church!

myspace.com/darciemarti