Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Re: Gay couple awarded damages

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
Even if he refused other unmarried couples, it still seems like discrimination to me. I mean, what if he was one of the types of Christians that doesn't believe in interracial marriages and refused to rent rooms to intterracial married couples because according to his beliefs their marriage isn't valid? That would certainly never fly, and rightly so. That looks like the same thing to me as refusing to rent to a gay couple who has a civil partnership contract.
I understand where you are coming from but what about the hotel owner's rights. Do they have any rights? It is their motel so don't they have the right to refuse a room to someone.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King's Child View Post
I understand where you are coming from but what about the hotel owner's rights. Do they have any rights? It is their motel so don't they have the right to refuse a room to someone.
It depends on what the laws are where they are, so I don't know. I'm not sure if they have the right to refuse service to anyone or not if that refusal is classified as discrimination...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
Even if he refused other unmarried couples, it still seems like discrimination to me. I mean, what if he was one of the types of Christians that doesn't believe in interracial marriages and refused to rent rooms to intterracial married couples because according to his beliefs their marriage isn't valid? That would certainly never fly, and rightly so. That looks like the same thing to me as refusing to rent to a gay couple who has a civil partnership contract.
I respectfully disagree. I think some of you have bought into the argument that the "gay rights" struggle is equivalent to the civil rights struggle.
It is not.
This occured in England. It is also the law in England that a 16 year old can have a relationship with anyone they please. So, you have 16 year old girls living with 50 year old guys, legally.
That is where we are headed.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think some of you have bought into the argument that the "gay rights" struggle is equivalent to the civil rights struggle.
It is not.
This occured in England. It is also the law in England that a 16 year old can have a relationship with anyone they please. So, you have 16 year old girls living with 50 year old guys, legally.
That is where we are headed.
I don't personally think that the gay rights struggle is the same as the civil rights struggle, but I do think that the comparison I made in this particular instance is valid. I realized when I posted that it was in England, that's why I said to King's Child that I don't know if the laws there allow for the right to refuse service to anyone.

I think there are some states in America where 16 is the legal age of consent, so there could very well be 16yo's living with 50yo dudes here too, legally...
Old 01-29-2011, 04:32 PM
La vie est un voyage

[QUOTE=whoami;1015887]I don't personally think that the gay rights struggle is the same as the civil rights struggle, but I do think that the comparison I made in this particular instance is valid. I realized when I posted that it was in England, that's why I said to King's Child that I don't know if the laws there allow for the right to refuse service to anyone.

I think there are some states in America where 16 is the legal age of consent, so there could very well be 16yo's living with 50yo dudes here too, legally...[/QUOTE]

Legal age of consent in Hawaii and Idaho is 14.