Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Why do I have to speak in tongues?

1. In Acts 2 those who rec'd the HG spoke in many different languages and each of the crowd heard ALL the disciples speaking in their own native tongue. This is not consistent with the "HEAVENLY LANGUAGE" position.

2. Why are there not similar manifestations accompanied with infilling as the Day of Pentecost?

3. After Acts 2 we don't find evidence that anyone spoke in other languages, they only spoke WITH tongues.

4. Could it be that this seems to indicate that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and the Baptism of the Holy Ghost are 2 separate things? One sealing a convert's eternal salvation, and the other empowering the recipient with supernatural abilities.

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Gary Blacksher

The best answer IMHO is one does not have to speak in tongues.

But, when one receives the Holy Ghost they will speak in tongues. This was and is the Biblical confirmation that one has received the Holy Ghost.

Acts 10:44-46

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
KJV

Acts 19:6

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
KJV
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Blacksher View Post
The best answer IMHO is one does not have to speak in tongues.

But, when one receives the Holy Ghost they will speak in tongues. This was and is the Biblical confirmation that one has received the Holy Ghost.

Acts 10:44-46

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
KJV

Acts 19:6

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
KJV
there is no doubt that they spoke in tongues. But no where in scripture will you find support for the heavenly language.

In what tongue were they speaking?

Bob Barker
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless View Post
there is no doubt that they spoke in tongues. But no where in scripture will you find support for the heavenly language.

In what tongue were they speaking?
There is no question that speaking in unknown tongues accompanied many NT believers conversion to Christ. The Jews had the context of hearing the 120 at Pentecost speak in tongues, so they easily could associate speaking in tongues with the baptism of the Spirit. And rightly so, however scripture does not in any place explicitly say that tongues MUST accompany the infilling.

In my experience in the UPC, there was never a focus on the fact that there were many foreigners in Jerusalem or that the purpose of tongues could quite logically have been for the propagation of the Gospel to the uttermost regions of the world represented in Jerusalem that day.

Many times in scripture God has used a thing, such as the brazen serpent in the wilderness for a very good reason, afterward men make an idol of that thing for all time. I do believe tongues are a valid spiritual function, however maybe the purpose has been abused.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
There is no question that speaking in unknown tongues accompanied many NT believers conversion to Christ. The Jews had the context of hearing the 120 at Pentecost speak in tongues, so they easily could associate speaking in tongues with the baptism of the Spirit. And rightly so, however scripture does not in any place explicitly say that tongues MUST accompany the infilling.

In my experience in the UPC, there was never a focus on the fact that there were many foreigners in Jerusalem or that the purpose of tongues could quite logically have been for the propagation of the Gospel to the uttermost regions of the world represented in Jerusalem that day.

Many times in scripture God has used a thing, such as the brazen serpent in the wilderness for a very good reason, afterward men make an idol of that thing for all time. I do believe tongues are a valid spiritual function, however maybe the purpose has been abused.
At what reference are you finding "Unknown" tongue?

Bob Barker
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Alot of people use this verse Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Or pretty much the whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 14.

The truth is there are many different types of tongues. Even when we speak in tongues we speak to God that does not mean that no one else can understand it. I have an ex girl friend that went to a mission trip in the Philippines and a girl there got the HG and spoke in english. These things happen. God only knows.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
Alot of people use this verse Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Or pretty much the whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 14.

The truth is there are many different types of tongues. Even when we speak in tongues we speak to God that does not mean that no one else can understand it. I have an ex girl friend that went to a mission trip in the Philippines and a girl there got the HG and spoke in english. These things happen. God only knows.
Bro J,

Another tongue still does not fully support a "heavenly language".

Not saying I don't believe you on the girlfriend thing, in fact as a youngster I had a pastor say someone was speaking in French. But I will say that that is few and far between as far as reports go. Maybe even as scarce as it was in the Bible.

Bob Barker
Old 05-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Bro J,

Another tongue still does not fully support a "heavenly language".

Not saying I don't believe you on the girlfriend thing, in fact as a youngster I had a pastor say someone was speaking in French. But I will say that that is few and far between as far as reports go. Maybe even as scarce as it was in the Bible.
I know what you are saying. I tell you what if God can speak through an interpretation of a message in tongues I would not put it past Him to allow tongues in other languages too. My ex girlfriend said all the girl there did was tell of God's praises and His glory. I would probably say that the reason it is said to be a "heavenly language" is because it comes from God out of heaven and when you speak in tongues you speak unto the Father. So that would be my estimation on why it is said that way.

Remember, there came a sound "from Heaven." That sound ushered in the HG.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:12 PM
crakjak

Quote:
They were unknown to the speakers, wouldn't you agree?
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 05-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

But still in all those who received The Baptism Of The Holy Ghost spoke in tongues as the spirit gave them the utterance .ACTS 2:4 All who were Spirit Filled did.
I don't anywhere else in the NT. where anyone could hear someone speak in their own native tongue , as a result of being Holy Ghost baptized. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see an ACTS 2:6 as a repeat in the Bible.