Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Banned

Re: Reason for Church Services

post 21 was a gem, E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I don't think it really matters much these days tho. We are infected as a movement with a sales-marketing-find the latest gimmick-outdo the competition mindset. Probably because we don't have enough Holy Ghost in our meetings to begin with so we gotta "make up the difference"...
it is hard to deny that the Spirit is moving from the church, and one must personally consider if they are being called to follow it. The history of belief in One God is a history of Diaspora; congregations of believers blasted apart--basically forced out to put their new-found beliefs into action.

Imagine heading out into the sunset without a purse or spare shirt. This is not some mythical story, meant to convey a moral principle. This is the Spirit in action. As unimaginable as it might seem for most people reading this--and sorry, because this is going to mess a few people up--the very best thing you could do for your soul would be to follow them.

The "fact" that it is completely ridiculous, given your current lifestyle and commitments, is...simply not reality; it is what is keeping you from reality. Commit to shedding commitments and going within a month, or a year. It doesn't matter who you are. The Spirit will guide you. You will not die, although you are going to wish you were dead a lot--just ask Jonah et al. Just slog on with as much grace as you can muster, and find the joy of the Lord along the way. It is enough.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
No comment? If these were house churches...how did unbelievers know about these meetings and walk in?
I doubt these are unbelievers who just walk in off the street with no connection whatsoever. Most likely someone who had been invited to come by a member, or family member. Although, if a meeting was getting down with the Holy Ghost I can see the neighbors or even passers-by stopping in and asking "What meaneth this?"

Besides, in THAT day, the church was busy "out there" causing an uproar and turning the whole world upside down. So word gets around fast just like with Jesus and people show up demanding to know what's going on.

But with all that, the Bible never describes a church meeting as geared toward winning the lost or focusingon "seekers". Evangelism was outreach oriented, usually public. Once converted, or at the very least clearly identified as "convert material" ie highly interested and open to the gospel, they might come and see what it's all about.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Perhaps they were invited.
If that is true then church meetings are not just for believers

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

If I invite the neighbors over for dinner does that mean family dinners are not just for family?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ.: Baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus in 1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I doubt these are unbelievers who just walk in off the street with no connection whatsoever. Most likely someone who had been invited to come by a member, or family member. Although, if a meeting was getting down with the Holy Ghost I can see the neighbors or even passers-by stopping in and asking "What meaneth this?"
Besides, in THAT day, the church was busy "out there" causing an uproar and turning the whole world upside down. So word gets around fast just like with Jesus and people show up demanding to know what's going on.
But with all that, the Bible never describes a church meeting as geared toward winning the lost or focusingon "seekers". Evangelism was outreach oriented, usually public. Once converted, or at the very least clearly identified as "convert material" ie highly interested and open to the gospel, they might come and see what it's all about.
My experience has been that if I have been a "true" witness, people will ask me where I fellowship (go to church). I never invite people to "church": I invite them to know the Lord Jesus.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A. Perez View Post
Mike, Word,
Some people (for lack of a better word lay-saint) are not mature enough in the Lord to know that there are differences in beliefs even among Good men and women. And they will take a little thing that someone else believes or says and divide, abstain, or not fellowship, instead of excepting our minor differences for the sake of unity. For instance I take my shoes off in my in-laws house because of their cultural tradition, in my house I wear shoes, but I better not bring muddy boots in and leave tracks all over the tiles. The reasoning is I respect my in-laws convictions, and I expect them to do the same at my house. However neither of us will allow the extreme of muddy boots in the house. The same is for the traditions of the various elders we all clan around. A newer saint might benefit by the influence of an elder like Haywood or Bean but they might not understand the whys and why not's of their own local assembly they belong, and not be able to Draw the lines in Perfect(Pleasant) Places. I've even seen this in some seasoned saints as well. Not that I'm mature but God has dealt with me on these things. The example above can be used in the place of Pre- or Post Trib rapture like my great, great uncle M. Baughman taught, and many Good men loved to have him in their pulpits. But they both would never except Preterism. These are the things why, not because it might not be good its because of the lack of stability and understanding in us.
Thus ethics is a protection we use to prevent confusion and provide safety.

Hope that was acceptable,
J.A. Perez
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A. Perez View Post
P.S.
This is the reason this forum is so dangerous. Though many in here are honest and are just trying to help. Our varried opinions can cause confusion in an assembly. By a person who hears a teaching differently may cause that unstable or unlearned person to attend a service and start to look at their pastor wrong or start question structure in the arrangement in government, or the particular stand that man is making about " a bean Patch." To us it may be a poiness bean patch but for you it may have big problems with people in your church that you don't know about. That your pastor has had to deal with you about or about others. Landmarks aren't always boarders for us as limits they are so set to mark the line the coyotes can't cross.
With questions about ethics preachers on this furum know there limits. But that's how the devil works to see discord amongst brethren. Because we don't know who each other really are, just a picture with a word or name.
And let me tell you I can tell if my kids been hanging around the wrong kids, it shows up sometimes in their additude or speech. "Evil communication corrupts good manners."
Again, your expression of this thought about ethics belies the fact that you truly believe the pastor can set up laws and boundaries per his own ideas, and that those in his church are expected to comply.

But if you would stop and consider the fact that leadership in the church is to lead by example as servants unto the Lord, and couple this with the teaching of Jesus (Mark 10:42-45) that the disciples were not to be as Lord's over the people, then you realize this is a false teaching, and understanding.

You don't have to micromanage God's people to have them be saved. You teach them principles from the Word of God, and teach them to be led of the Spirit in application. If the spirit cannot teach people how to live a godly, holy life, how do you expect a man's laws to be able to do something the spirit cannot?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephnxman View Post
My experience has been that if I have been a "true" witness, people will ask me where I fellowship (go to church). I never invite people to "church": I invite them to know the Lord Jesus.
And it is in this kind of personal way that you can lead people to the Lord, putting their focus on him, and encouraging them in the way of the gospel, and when they have been persuaded that they want to follow Jesus, it would be then you could introduce them to the body of believers.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Banned

amen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Again, your expression of this thought about ethics belies the fact that you truly believe the pastor can set up laws and boundaries per his own ideas, and that those in his church are expected to comply.

But if you would stop and consider the fact that leadership in the church is to lead by example as servants unto the Lord, and couple this with the teaching of Jesus (Mark 10:42-45) that the disciples were not to be as Lord's over the people, then you realize this is a false teaching, and understanding.

You don't have to micromanage God's people to have them be saved. You teach them principles from the Word of God, and teach them to be led of the Spirit in application. If the spirit cannot teach people how to live a godly, holy life, how do you expect a man's laws to be able to do something the spirit cannot?
and amen!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Question: What, and for whom is our gathering together for church services?
I believe it is...
Ephesians 4:11-12
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I believe it is...
Ephesians 4:11-12
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Wouldn't the "for the work of the ministry" include reaching out to nonbelievers?