Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters > Branhamism
Facebook

Notices

Branhamism Discussion of distinctive doctrines of William M. Branham.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Stranger in a Strange Land

List the Cultic doctrinal errors of Branhamism

Ok,
Can someone source me this information? I'm curious.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: List the Cultic doctrinal errors of Branhamism

Why not just say "list the errors of Branhamism?" Why include the pejorative "cultic"?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Stranger in a Strange Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Why not just say "list the errors of Branhamism?" Why include the pejorative "cultic"?
Prax,

It is only a semantic difference to me. IMO, One can be wrong (in error) but not cultic. I'm not going to split hairs with you over our different definitions.
It's really a simple question. What makes Branhamism cultic?

I've used internet sources, some youtube, wikipedia, etc, but I want to hear from the forum.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

1. Their doctrine also states that Jesus is the Son of God just as Adam was a Son of God (a perfect human being), and that God's Spirit, entered Jesus at His baptism and then left Jesus in Gethsemane, prior to the crucifixion, so that He could suffer and die as a mortal. It was because God the Father was in Christ that He could speak as though He was God, because God was literally dwelling within Him and using Him to speak. This is similar to Modalism. This doctrine is also tied to the serpent seed doctrine to show that Jesus was the perfect sacrifice because He was a perfect human and had no link to the serpent. Message followers believe that the revelation (i.e. understanding) of the Godhead was formally abandoned with the Nicene Creed.

2. The Message followers believe that the original sin resulted from Eve having sexual intercourse with an upright 'Serpent' which was not a snake but the human-like animal between apes and man. They believe the serpent's current form is a result of God's curse in Genesis 3:14. From this relationship, it is said, Cain was conceived and born. Abel, fathered by Adam, was born at the same time

3. A major doctrine that unites all Message Believers is the central role of William Branham who is believed to be a Word prophet and the messenger ("angel") of the Laodicean church age.

I think there is whole section here dedicated to Branhamism.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Go Dodgers!

That does not seem like Modalism. That is closer to Adoptionism and makes christ a second human person that was used sort of like a puppet by God so that every time Christ claimed to be God they can say it was not really Christ speaking but the God that was in Christ

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
1. Their doctrine also states that Jesus is the Son of God just as Adam was a Son of God (a perfect human being), and that God's Spirit, entered Jesus at His baptism and then left Jesus in Gethsemane, prior to the crucifixion, so that He could suffer and die as a mortal. It was because God the Father was in Christ that He could speak as though He was God, because God was literally dwelling within Him and using Him to speak. This is similar to Modalism. This doctrine is also tied to the serpent seed doctrine to show that Jesus was the perfect sacrifice because He was a perfect human and had no link to the serpent. Message followers believe that the revelation (i.e. understanding) of the Godhead was formally abandoned with the Nicene Creed
These quotes are from Branham's messages...

SHOW_US_THE_FATHER SALEM_OR 07-22-62 44
Why, He was more than a man. If He was just a man, we’re all lost. He was God, nothing less of God. He was God manifest in the flesh: Jehovah, the Father, dwelling in His Son, reconciling the world to Himself. That’s the reason we was commissioned by Saint Matthew there, “baptize them in the Name of the Father, Son, Holy Ghost.” Watch. Not three Gods, three manifestations of the same God. God the Father was a Pillar of Fire. It was made flesh and dwelled among us: God the Son. God above us, God with us, now, the same God, the Holy Ghost in us. Three office: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. It’s the same God, not three Gods; the one God made Hisself three offices, three manifestations. Amen.

QUESTIONS_AND_ANSWERS JEFF_IN 05-15-54 97
Thomas said, “Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.” He said, “I’ve been so long with you and you don’t know Me?” He said, “Why sayest thou, ‘Show us the Father’?” Why, He said, “When you see Me you see the Father. I and My Father are One. My Father dwelleth in Me.” A lady, here not long ago, I was talking that, jumped up, said, “Oh, Brother Branham,” said, “I–I know what you mean. They are one; sure they’re one.” Said, “You and your wife are one too. That’s the kind of one they are.” I said, “I beg your pardon,” I said, “they’re not.” I said, “Do you see me?” Said, “Sure.” I said, “You see my wife?” Said, “No.” And I said, “There. Then they’re a different kind of one than what me and my wife are.” See? I said, “That’s right.” Jesus said, “You can’t see Me without seeing the Father.” Certainly not. It’s the second part of the three-foot rule, the same rule. It’s God. Jesus Christ was either God or the greatest deceiver the world ever had.

WHO_IS_THIS_MELCHISEDEC JEFF_IN 02-21-65
And now the Greek word “En morphe” mean that he changed His mask. And that’s what God did. It’s the same God all the time. God in the form of the Father, the–the Spirit, the Pillar of Fire, the same God was made flesh and dwelt among us: “En morphe,” brought out so He could be seen. And now, that same God is the Holy Ghost. Father, Son, Holy–not three Gods, three offices, three acts of the one God. The Bible said there’s one God, not three. But that’s how that they couldn’t… You can’t get this straightened out and have three gods. You’d never sell a Jew that; I tell you that, one who knows better; he knows there’s only one God.

http://presenttruthmn.com/william-branham-doctrine-god/
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)

Last edited by TGBTG; 03-01-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I Am That I Am.

Quote:
2. The Message followers believe that the original sin resulted from Eve having sexual intercourse with an upright 'Serpent' which was not a snake but the human-like animal between apes and man.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
...The Message followers believe that the original sin resulted from Eve having sexual intercourse with an upright 'Serpent' which was not a snake but the human-like animal between apes and man...
Hmm, pretty good description of most people, imo...me included.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Here is Ern Baxter, a Canadian Reformed (i.e. Calvinistic) Pentecostal who worked alongside William Branham. What Baxter says about Branham is significant because of the fact that most would say that Baxter had sound doctrine. He also influenced New Frontiers which is a Reformed Charismatic family of churches. The songs "In Christ Alone" and "How Deep the Father's Love For Us" came out of New Frontiers.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned

I guess the serpent seed thing is mostly what sends people over the edge with this guy? Because I have yet to read anything that's supposed to be condemnation of him that seems very damning?

I'm not completely convinced about the serpent seed thing yet, but it sure explains a lot, and I'm not getting the argument against it, which I suspect is nonexistent.
No--I mean really, despite asking, I cannot get the argument posted.