Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
hammondb3klingon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjones View Post
I don't have time to get into it now. I have to go to church and practice being a #1 Pharisee.

If you are still interested in my answer, remind me and I will provide you with my view of the OT law and ritual/social/religious instruction!
I would love to hear your take on this. you can pm me as well if the post will be too long. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondb3klingon1 View Post
How do you explain the fact that you eat these things when the bible tells us not to? <-Not an accusation just a question->?
Is all the meat and food produces you eat Kosher? Meaning it was inspected by a Jewish Rabbi to ensure proper blood draining and other ordinances under the law?

Just how many blood cells in you red meat are allowed?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Ronzo

In Acts 15, James, and God, made it clear that what the 'gentiles' were required to live by what the Jews consider the Noahide laws.

Abstain from:
things contaminated by ('consecrated to') idols
from fornication
from what is strangled
from blood

The Jews, as a religion, considered those that did those things (those that obeyed those commands, that is), but did not get circumcised, as "God Fearers"... that's what Cornelius was.

The Jews required this of any proselytite they won from among the gentiles (who did not get circumcised to identify themselves with the nation of Israel), so it makes total sense that this is what they expected of the new gentile converts to this extension of Judaism, which was faith in the Messiah... As a matter of fact, the circumcision argument was what brought this whole debate on to begin with in Acts 15.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 PM
hammondb3klingon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Is all the meat and food produces you eat Kosher? Meaning it was inspected by a Jewish Rabbi to ensure proper blood draining and other ordinances under the law?

Just how many blood cells in you red meat are allowed?

Yes, Yes, I am not sure cooked to the max I am just interested in this type of thing and how people explain what they believe.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo View Post
In Acts 15, James, and God, made it clear that what the 'gentiles' were required to live by what the Jews consider the Noahide laws.

Abstain from:
things contaminated by ('consecrated to') idols
from fornication
from what is strangled
from blood

The Jews, as a religion, considered those that did those things (those that obeyed those commands, that is), but did not get circumcised, as "God Fearers"... that's what Cornelius was.

The Jews required this of any proselytite they won from among the gentiles (who did not get circumcised to identify themselves with the nation of Israel), so it makes total sense that this is what they expected of the new gentile converts to this extension of Judaism, which was faith in the Messiah... As a matter of fact, the circumcision argument was what brought this whole debate on to begin with in Acts 15.
Aren't things strangled and abstaining from blood parts of the dietary law?

So he was stating here that he did require the gentiles to hold to at least part of the dietary law? Right?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondb3klingon1 View Post
Yes, Yes, I am not sure cooked to the max I am just interested in this type of thing and how people explain what they believe.
Even if you cooked it to the max it might still not be properly drained and have blood products in it...ever eat sausage that is all beef? Beef Summer sausage?

It's explained that the dietary laws were for the Jews. Read Acts 15. The only rules that were put on the gentiles were to avoid the temples and food offered to idols, because it would offend the Jewish believers or those they were trying to reach. then read Paul's point on foods offered to idols. He basically said you can do it, but don't do it because it would offend a weaker brother.

We are not under the law and we are not Jewish
Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Ronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post

So he was stating here that he did require the gentiles to hold to at least part of the dietary law? Right?
Those specific requirements were required, yes... but the specific type of animal, was not part of that requirement.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post

Yes, but read why..."because Moses is read in every city"...the issue was Jews and Gentiles...The Jews were trying to constrain the Gentiles to keep the law and be circumcized. Their edict was that the Gentiles did not have to keep what even the Jews had a hard time keeping....but let them keep these,....because Moses or the Law was believed on in each of those cities the Gentile believers lived in. Then read what paul said in Corinthians about foods and idols
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

I have never understood why some consider an accusation toward the asker of the question as sufficient to have answered the question.

A basic "well you're not perfect either" statement just doesn't seem to answer anything.

That has just always been beyond my capacity to understand.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo View Post
Those specific requirements were required, yes... but the specific type of animal, was not part of that requirement.
So we should keep those laws then?