Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Banned

Have We Forgotten the Point of Christianity?

The past year has seen Christian theologians, authors, pastors, celebrities, institutions, organizations, and communities publicly declare many things — all under the banner of “Christianity” — about what is politically right and wrong, who is good and bad, and how we should vote, act, and think as it relates to our political leaders. The imminent election has only increased this constant noise and banter, but it forces believers to prioritize the role Jesus plays in their lives.

Because the reality is that the good news of the gospel cannot be heard and accepted unless we emulate Jesus. The Bible shows us that Jesus is the best example of who to follow, so why aren’t Christians doing so?

https://sojo.net/articles/have-we-fo...t-christianity
Old 10-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Re: Have We Forgotten the Point of Christianity?

Sometimes the church is to involved in the affairs of the world.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:07 PM
On the road less traveled

Don't kid yourself. There are people doing their best to live for Christ. They are just not glorified on social media or in populous numbers. And for the record... the minority has always been the majority for the Lord, and more often how He works.

Just because things look bad, does not mean that there are not people who are doing their best as disciples of Jesus.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Amen, there will always be a remnant.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Banned

nice.
funny how we perceive things, so differently from how they really are. people are all in a froth right now, 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling,' but we live in a miracle, right now! and we are blessed to be the nation that is lifting the whole world up! i hesitate to say 'out of poverty,' as that is the wrong paradigm, to me, but there is a component of 'spiritual poverty' that they are also being lifted out of--even as it appears that we are spiritually going down the tubes or something. it is easy to forget that we are on a pendulum, sometimes.

as a 40 year old...hedonist, basically, i was struck by the general lack of hedonism of most 20 year olds, at the time.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 PM
On the road less traveled

PO just shared an article on two people who stood up for their faith, and lost their jobs over it... you should read it... the post on CSpan, The Alliance Defending Freedom.

There are people living out their faith. They may be living next door to you, and you don't even know it.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
They may be living next door to you, and you don't even know it.
ah, i gave that kind of existence up a while back, K. no one can be living next door to me and i don't know it lol--but i get you.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Banned

i don't ascribe to this, but some interesting arguments. Actually from what little i know, some chunks of Scripture, the last 5 of the Decalogue, etc, are as much as 18-20,000 years old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The Sumerians influenced the Egyptians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Hebrews and later the Greeks. The Greeks influenced the Romans. Everyone filches off everyone. The Hebrews inherited many of their beliefs from Mesopotamia and Egypt and these have been passed down to Christianity. The Sabbath comes from the Sumerians as does the Flood and the Fall of Man. The Genesis creation myth is basically the same as the Sumerian one.

Sumerian mythology tells the story of Bel (son of god) who was the Sumerian 'saviour' figure of Babylon and would become 'Baal' to the Hebrews. Bel, the Sumerian 'son of God' was the Lord Christ and Redeemer to the Babylonians. They believed that he had died and risen again to ensure their salvation (where have I heard that before' :think. The Babylonians performed a 'Passion' play too. Bel was the second of a trinity - Ea, the Father; Bel the Son and Anu, The Holy Spirit. It was customary to sacrifice a lamb because they believed that "...the lamb is the substitute for humanity...". The Bible says... the lamb of God taketh away the sins of the world.

The 'Lamb' in the Bible is supposed to be Jesus but it's just myth recycling. The basic story of Bel was adopted by the Jews and eventually found their way into the OT and then on to the NT.

Then we have the Sumerian story of Sargon, the King of the Semites, who was hidden by his mother in a basket made of Bulrushes on the banks of a river, only in this story the river was the Euphrates rather than the Nile.

I wonder how many Christians realise that when they end their prayers with 'AMEN', they are actually worshipping the Egyptian Sun god ...Amen-Ra!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Exactly! Exactly! This is not to slam Christianity, though there's a LOT wrong about it. It's about pointing out that if we were living in the years 4000 BC and had computers Mike and Vizio and all the others would be saying, "It is only through belief in Bel as our Lord and Savior that we attain salvation. As Bel said in the holy scriptures, 'He who has seen me has seen my father, Ea. And I will send the spirit, Anu and he will direct you in all things.' And I am not going to waste anymore of my time arguing this with you. We are done here."

Each epoch has its own religion(s). Right now it's Christianity, Islam and a few others so we would expect radical vocal believers like the ones in here to be sounding the gospel and skeptics detracting but back then it was Mithraism, Sumerianism and a few others and the exact same things were going on: people were preaching Mithra and skeptics were calling them delusional. As I said, the story doesn't change: a son of god came down to earth to suffer and die and then ascend back to heaven in glory. The latest incarnation was Jesus but before Jesus, for 2000 years people in the far east worshiped Vishnu, Krishna and Shiva. They were the Holy Trinity pre-Christianity and nearly everybody in the known world worshiped them. The story doesn't change, only the cast of characters and gods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
As people begin to see this truth, one can begin to understand how Abba is the Father of everything and everyone. Part of that holistic and universal story is our Identity as being an expression of Him - that we are not separate. That is the coming kingdom of heaven within. It is the new birth. It is restoration to the Father. It is spiritual.

On a technical note about blood sacrifice and the repeating story and cast of characters - it is interesting to see how God brought that finally to an end, after thousands of years of it - I wasn't aware that other 'significant incarnations' had suffered and died for the truth how Jesus did, but there have been plenty martyred after the HS came, and God is no respector of persons, so the principle of being persecuted for the truth still stands.

And, I still find it awkward, living in a newer dispensation, when Christian friends and family talk about doctrine and orthodoxy that is 2000+ years old.

Last edited by shazeep; 11-01-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Banned

Old 11-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
3 baptisms:
Water
Spirit (air)
Fire
<<<