Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

Samuel A Webster was a PAW minister who travelled and kept a journal of sorts. Hazelwood has a copy.

Is there an electronic copy someone is willing to share ??

It will save me a trip to St. Louis.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Elmer Hammond was born in San Francisco in 1884. In 1906 he was a member of the Salvation Army. In 1911, he pastored a Pentecostal Mission in Stockton, Cal. This pastorate in Stockton was his connection to Harry Morse. Morse had founded that mission. He

In 1912, Elmer Hammond was in Honolulu and was the first person there to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Later that year, Hammond was a missionary in Hong Kong. He was licensed with the PAW.

Over the next 4 years, more Pentecostal missionaries joined him in China and they focussed on language skills, finding interpreters, and adapting to the heat.

"The Lord is willing to place me where the gospel has not yet been reached."

In 1916, Elmer Hammond was killed by criminals.

Hattie Hammond and her 3 children returned to Oakland and were guests at the Big Downtown Mission. In 1919, Hattie and Charles Wesley Storey were married by Harry Morse. They promptly returned to China and resumed their missionary work. By 1927, they returned to Los Angeles where they lived the rest of their lives.

Hattie Hammond was one of the workers at the Urshan Los Angeles revival.
Hammonds death in 1916 coincides with the conflict there in regards to their relationship with Japan. This was a leadup to WW1 and then WW2.

This was a dangerous time in the east for Christians and appears to have been mortal for the Mr Hammond. Interesting work, keep it up.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
She went outside early on. She was Charismatic before it had a name. Thomas Watts did the same.
Not to derail the thread but didn't she have contact with the christian/ charismatic movement out of hollywood at that time?

This was the movement that included such as Roy Rogers and his wife, tying to think of a few others.

But I believe that either that movement started there and moved up the west coast to canada and then east or it may have been moving the other direction.

But you are right. We would classify it as charismatic / latter rain.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Roy Rogers was charismatic? I know he was a mason...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

I have no bias for or against McPherson. Writing about her is part of understanding 1920's Pentecostalism in California. Especially as it interacts with early Oneness leaders. The Urshan/McPherson connection is new to me and very interesting. In the process, I found the picture of Crawford and Urshan together in Lake Michigan at a baptismal service.

McPherson was no theologian. But she knew how to connect socially with the broader culture. She certainly used fame to promote her ministry. Charlie Chaplin said McPherson was a star whether she like it or not. She also paid a high price for fame, as all do.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Roy Rogers was charismatic? I know he was a mason...
He may have been a mason also but at one time he was involved in the early christian surge in Hollywood.

From Wikipedia (for what its worth)

Rogers and Evans were well known as advocates for adoption and as founders and operators of children's charities. They adopted several children. Both were outspoken Christians after their marriage.[14] Beginning in 1949 they were part of the Hollywood Christian Group, founded by their friend Louis Evans, Jr., the organizing pastor of Bel Air Church.[15] The group met in Henrietta Mears's home and later in the home of Evans and Colleen Townsend, after their marriage. Billy Graham and Jane Russell were also part of this group. In 1956 the Hollywood Christian Group became Bel Air Church. In Apple Valley, California, where they made their home, streets, highways and civic buildings have been named after them in recognition of their efforts on behalf of homeless and handicapped children. Rogers was also an active Freemason and a Shriner and was noted for his support of their charities.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have no bias for or against McPherson. Writing about her is part of understanding 1920's Pentecostalism in California. Especially as it interacts with early Oneness leaders. The Urshan/McPherson connection is new to me and very interesting. In the process, I found the picture of Crawford and Urshan together in Lake Michigan at a baptismal service.

McPherson was no theologian. But she knew how to connect socially with the broader culture. She certainly used fame to promote her ministry. Charlie Chaplin said McPherson was a star whether she like it or not. She also paid a high price for fame, as all do.
It is interesting to see how the different streams of Christianity overlapped.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Lillian M. Walker was a child evangelist from the east coast who travelled across the US (14 states) preaching in Pentecostal churches.

In 1925, she was in Salem, Oregon. Then she was in Oakland preaching for Harry Morse. Afterwards she had a revival in Phoenix, preaching for Rev. Faulkner.

I cannot find her before or afterwards.

She is not to be confused with the actress who has the same name.

For a while, she was on the ministry staff of Mattie Crawford.

Does any of this ring a bell ?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Lillian seems to be evaisive. But I did learn quite a bit about the pastor in Salem, Oregon.

His name was Ralph Dustin Bullock. He was in the PAW in 1919. He pastored in Salem from 1923-1928. He then pastored in Yakima, Washington. He ended up in a concentration camp in China. He returned to the US in 1942.

He was in the Harry Morse social circle. I'll post more later.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Lillian seems to be evaisive. But I did learn quite a bit about the pastor in Salem, Oregon.

His name was Ralph Dustin Bullock. He was in the PAW in 1919. He pastored in Salem from 1923-1928. He then pastored in Yakima, Washington. He ended up in a concentration camp in China. He returned to the US in 1942.

He was in the Harry Morse social circle. I'll post more later.
Now his name rings a bell.