Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

The Library

This is a place you can post articles to read and books you would recommend.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I need a Triple Espresso, NOW!

okay, I am not sure if the contents have to be "christian" or not but: I really enjoy reading Clive Cussler. His books ( audio for me) are incredible.. and for the most part, they have no cursing. "The Treasure of Khan" was great!!! They are filled with lots of adventure and history! He is a great writer...
Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 AM
delete account

Mitch Albom, for one more day is a very good book , as well as his other book; Tuesdays with Morrie. They are easy reads but so applicable to many situations in life.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 02-12-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
Mitch Albom, for one more day is a very good book , as well as his other book; Tuesdays with Morrie. They are easy reads but so applicable to many situations in life.

Blessings, Rhoni
I've been wanting to read this book and I was wondering what others thought about it!

I never met a chocolate I didn't like!

*sigh* I did nothing yesterday.... I wasn't finished so I did nothing again today!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyChocolate View Post
okay, I am not sure if the contents have to be "christian" or not but: I really enjoy reading Clive Cussler. His books ( audio for me) are incredible.. and for the most part, they have no cursing. "The Treasure of Khan" was great!!! They are filled with lots of adventure and history! He is a great writer...
What kind of writer is Clive Cussler?
I've noticed his books in the store, but have never read one.
I like to read some easy fiction every once in awhile like
Louis L'Amour, Elmer Kelton, Clarence Mulford, Zane Grey, Max Brand,
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agathia Christi, Sir Walter Scott, etc.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAPE View Post
Clive Cussler is a real-life treasure hunter who writes fiction with Dirk Pitt as the main character of each of his books.... in each of his stories, Dirk (who is also a treasure hunter) goes after some precious historical object and is an Indiana Jones type person.....

Clive Cussler was apart of the team that found and salvaged the Civil War submarine vessel quite a few years ago.... hes a successful author who has like a million books out.... he usually writes one every year or so....

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes
Old 02-14-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvaro View Post
Clive Cussler is a real-life treasure hunter who writes fiction with Dirk Pitt as the main character of each of his books.... in each of his stories, Dirk (who is also a treasure hunter) goes after some precious historical object and is an Indiana Jones type person.....

Clive Cussler was apart of the team that found and salvaged the Civil War submarine vessel quite a few years ago.... hes a successful author who has like a million books out.... he usually writes one every year or so....
thanks for answering this. I have found his books to be most interesting... with the mix of truth and fiction, they are great! I prefer the more romatic books (christian based of course). But we don't go on a trip without a new clive cussler.
Dirk Pitt is usually his main character but he also has stories with Juan Cabrillo.... I enjoy both...The politics of today play alot with his stories and I find it fascinating how he ties the past in with things going on today! And btw, he is usually very clean, not much cursing or risque scenes.

I never met a chocolate I didn't like!

*sigh* I did nothing yesterday.... I wasn't finished so I did nothing again today!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I LOVE Zane Grey! I like Agathia Christi and Sir ACD also. I have read a few of Louis L'Amour. I also like Phyllis Whitney. I have read everything she has written for adults. (some a couple of times) Usually no swearing and very clean. Victoria Holt is also good.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

What I like to read....
  • I read a Clive Cussler book with high recommendations from a poster friend a few years back but to be honest I wasn't terribly captivated and have never bothered with another.

• I loved James Michener's books - most of them anyhow. The first one I read was "Caravan" and I was hooked after that.

• I love true adventure stories. Ever read any of the stories about re-enacting voyages taken by ship hundreds of years ago? Awesome!!

• Stories of pioneers who went into difficult places; for example Alaska and suffered terrible hardship trying to cope with the hardships life there handed out to people not used to that environment.

• Stories of how the West was one. Stories about the Gold Rush or how the Pacific Canadian railway was built or about the Europeans and Asians who have come to Canada and made a life here. Real life stories.

• I like historical fiction.

• I like stories set in other cultures and foreign countries ..... especially if they're based on fact.

• I don't like cheesy romance thank you very much.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Speaking of True Adventure stories I'm reading a book right now called ........

"Wild Men, Wild Alaska" by Rocky McElveen.

I'm enjoying it SO much. This guy was one of Alaska's foremost hunting and fishing guides. He was the son of an Alaskan missionary and a seminary graduate.

"For twenty years he has been a professional guide in that state. His knowledge of the primitive frontier along with his warm, hospitable manner adds an unprecedented dimension to his credentials as a master fishing and registered hunting guide.

He is esteemed as a friend by many who have been under his guide: Pres. George Bush, Sr.; General Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager; Major League Baseball player Dave Dravecky; Bob Seiple, president of World Vision; Pastor Chuck Swindoll, and Oakland A's pitcher Mike Moore to name only a few."

I recommend the book. I think you'd enjoy it as much as I am if you have a liking for this kind of writing and real life adventure stories like I do.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)