Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Death Bed Repentance Will Get You Nowhere, Period!

I thank God for repentance - Luke 13:3 - No, but I say to you, all of you also shall likewise be destroyed unless you repent.”

I thank God for baptism in Jesus name - Mark 16:16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned

I thank God for the Holy Ghost - Romans 8:9 - ... if any man has not the Spirit of Christ, such a one does not belong to Him

Unless you've repented, you're damned. Unless you've been baptized in Jesus name, you're condemned. Unless you've receive the Holy Ghost indwellment, you don't even belong to God.

And no, the thief's repentance on the cross isn't any significant example of receiving salvation without baptism and Holy Ghost indwellment. The gospel for New Testament believers require that we believe in the death, burial, and resurrection (Roman 10:9).

The thief was under the Old Dispensation and couldn't have received salvation via the New Testament gospel because Jesus had not yet died and resurrected. Therefore, the thief couldn't have believed in Jesus' resurrection, something that New Testament believers are required to believe for salvation. The thief didn't receive salvation under the New Dispensation, period!

Would it be appropriate to utilize the thief as an example that people can receive salvation without believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? No, and likewise it's inappropriate to utilize the thief to prove that people today can receive salvation without baptism and Holy Ghost indwellment!

Death bed repentance will get you nowhere, period!

Last edited by Jacob's Ladder; 04-26-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Re: Death Bed Repentance Will Get You Nowhere, Per

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
I thank God for baptism in Jesus name - Mark 16:16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned
First off, this scripture doesn't say anything about he who has believed only, and is not yet baptized.

Now, you fit this into your theology.

John 3:15
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

...and these are just a few of Jesus' own words!
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
I thank God for repentance - Luke 13:3 - No, but I say to you, all of you also shall likewise be destroyed unless you repent.”

I thank God for the Holy Ghost - Romans 8:9 - ... if any man has not the Spirit of Christ, such a one does not belong to Him

Unless you've repented, you're damned. Unless you've been baptized in Jesus name, you're condemned. Unless you've receive the Holy Ghost indwellment, you don't even belong to God.

And no, the thief's repentance on the cross isn't any significant example of receiving salvation without baptism and Holy Ghost indwellment. The gospel for New Testament believers require that we believe in the death, burial, and resurrection (Roman 10:9).

The thief was under the Old Dispensation and couldn't have received salvation via the New Testament gospel because Jesus had not yet died and resurrected. Therefore, the thief couldn't have believed in Jesus' resurrection, something that New Testament believers are required to believe for salvation. The thief didn't receive salvation under the New Dispensation, period!

Would it be appropriate to utilize the thief as an example that people can receive salvation without believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? No, and likewise it's inappropriate to utilize the thief to prove that people today can receive salvation without baptism and Holy Ghost indwellment!

The thief didn't follow OT procedure, either. Was he really saved? Will you see him in heaven? God is apparently a real stickler on details.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Quite scriptural and logical.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Quite scriptural and logical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGBTG View Post

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

And what part of this is not scriptural?
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Wampus cat wrangler

Quote:
And what part of this is not scriptural?
What about this though?

(Don't take this as me arguing or debating you I truly want to know. You see I go to victory apostolic here in lex, ky and the views jacobs ladder and michael have are the same views as those of my church and when I brought up the same as you a few months back they gave me this scripture.)

James 2:19 - 20
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
The thief didn't follow OT procedure, either. Was he really saved? Will you see him in heaven?
Actually, he did. The whole point of the OT procedure was to put your FAITH in the dying lamb, which the priest sacrificed. These sacrificial lambs pointed to the real lamb who was to come: Christ Jesus.

So the thief put his faith in the real Lamb. Could not get any better than that.

Remember Abraham believed God and his FAITH was counted as RIGHTEOUSNESS (Rom 4:5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
God is apparently a real stickler on details.
Nah, He ain't. He has said it over and over again, Faith in Jesus is what saves.
True baptism is a demonstration of that faith.

Think about it, in early christianity, why did people get baptized immediately?
It was to show their new found FAITH in Jesus Christ. The disciples of John in Acts 19 got RE-baptized to show their faith in Jesus Christ.

Well, in a perfect world, if there were pools of water every where, we too would be baptizing new converts as soon as they profess faith in Christ.

Here's the thing though, people get saved in places where there is no water around. However, God who sees their heart knows that have put their faith in Christ.

Acts 15
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
What about this though?

(Don't take this as me arguing or debating you I truly want to know. You see I go to victory apostolic here in lex, ky and the views jacobs ladder and michael have are the same views as those of my church and when I brought up the same as you a few months back they gave me this scripture.)

James 2:19 - 20
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
How does this relate to the topic at hand?

"Faith without works is dead" - 21st century translation: Practise what you preach!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
First off, this scripture doesn't say anything about he who has believed only, and is not yet baptized.

Now, you fit this into your theology.

Believing requires obedience/action. How does one believe without obedience and action ?

I believe in Holy Ghost indwellment with evidence of speaking in tongues. I won't receive the Holy Ghost by just sitting and watching television. I must seek it, and seeking requires obedience and action. Believing alone won't get me Holy Ghost filled, I must seek it, and the action of seeking acknowledges that I believe. Thus, your scriptures prove my point. You must believe. Believing requires obedience and action.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Believing requires obedience/action. How does one believe without obedience and action ?

I believe in Holy Ghost indwellment with evidence of speaking in tongues. I won't receive the Holy Ghost by just sitting and watching television. I must seek it, and seeking requires obedience and action. Believing alone won't get me Holy Ghost filled, I must seek it, and the action of seeking acknowledges that I believe. Thus, your scriptures prove my point. You must believe. Believing requires obedience and action.
My scripture proves your point??

Believing requires obedience and action? If I told you to believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, what obedience and action do you need to carry out?

Also, you keep saying I must seek it. Seek the Holy Ghost?
In my experience, God gave me the Holy Ghost (I also spoke with tongues), but I was just worshipping...not sure about "seeking it"

Quote:
Believing alone won't get me Holy Ghost filled,
Acts 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

God gave Cornelius the Holy Ghost because Cornelius believed on Jesus Christ.

Quote:
I won't receive the Holy Ghost by just sitting and watching television
??