Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Inter-Denominational Fellowship

I'm sure this isn't anything anyone here hasn't heard umpteen times before, but I just felt it would be an interesting thread to indulge because this thought has been batting around in my mind a little here recently.

In a small community close to mine, there is an annual community tent revival held that brings together two Southern Baptist pastors, a Methodist pastor, and a Church of God pastor as well as their congregations and the visitors they invite.

From what I gather, these four pastors (from three different denominations) get together before this yearly gathering to discuss the messages they felt led to preach. This is mainly done to disregard any differences in belief that these four men might held, and because this is a community effort, they only agree to minister on what all four meet together on.

I've heard stories that these community revivals have had good services, and that many sinners have repented of their sins in these meetings. Of course, sinners repenting is always good, isn't it?

Could a revival such as this be harmful?

In many cases, self-identifying Apostolic Christians (especially the stricter breed) cannot bring themselves to fellowship, and often over the slightest of differences.

Why is that?

On the other hand, those Pentecostals with lower expectations often have larger gatherings, and often with people from, as I see it, all over the board when it comes to holiness standards.

In a recent gathering among these less strict Pentecostals, there was an young girl (maybe ten or eleven years old) that repented at the altar. It was not long that five different women (pastors and pastor's wives) gathered around this child to help her cry out to the Lord. What I found interesting is that all of these ladies clearly had varying ideas on to what holiness was. They were each modest, but to different degrees. My heart reached out to this little girl, and also felt love because these women came together despite their obvious differences.

Among the stricter circles of Apostolics, I have yet to see this happen. I have found myself in services with people from several different stricter churches, and they quite often do not even acknowledge one another, but they have occasionally. However, I have never seen them come together in praying for a sinner repenting, although they will do so individually.

What are your thoughts on inter-denominational fellowship?
Have you any personal experience with inter-denominational fellowship?

Keep in mind that I am using the word "denomination" very loosely. Instead of referring to organizations (i.e. UPC, Baptist, etc.), I'm referring to individuality among churches that came be found within varying beliefs.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Inter-Denominational Fellowship

Was people baptized in Jesus name, filled with the Holy Ghost speaking in tongues? Were the Trinitarians told there is no such thing as a Trinity?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
I'm sure this isn't anything anyone here hasn't heard umpteen times before, but I just felt it would be an interesting thread to indulge because this thought has been batting around in my mind a little here recently.

In a small community close to mine, there is an annual community tent revival held that brings together two Southern Baptist pastors, a Methodist pastor, and a Church of God pastor as well as their congregations and the visitors they invite.

From what I gather, these four pastors (from three different denominations) get together before this yearly gathering to discuss the messages they felt led to preach. This is mainly done to disregard any differences in belief that these four men might held, and because this is a community effort, they only agree to minister on what all four meet together on.

I've heard stories that these community revivals have had good services, and that many sinners have repented of their sins in these meetings. Of course, sinners repenting is always good, isn't it?

Could a revival such as this be harmful?

In many cases, self-identifying Apostolic Christians (especially the stricter breed) cannot bring themselves to fellowship, and often over the slightest of differences.

Why is that?

On the other hand, those Pentecostals with lower expectations often have larger gatherings, and often with people from, as I see it, all over the board when it comes to holiness standards.

In a recent gathering among these less strict Pentecostals, there was an young girl (maybe ten or eleven years old) that repented at the altar. It was not long that five different women (pastors and pastor's wives) gathered around this child to help her cry out to the Lord. What I found interesting is that all of these ladies clearly had varying ideas on to what holiness was. They were each modest, but to different degrees. My heart reached out to this little girl, and also felt love because these women came together despite their obvious differences.

Among the stricter circles of Apostolics, I have yet to see this happen. I have found myself in services with people from several different stricter churches, and they quite often do not even acknowledge one another, but they have occasionally. However, I have never seen them come together in praying for a sinner repenting, although they will do so individually.

What are your thoughts on inter-denominational fellowship?
Have you any personal experience with inter-denominational fellowship?

Keep in mind that I am using the word "denomination" very loosely. Instead of referring to organizations (i.e. UPC, Baptist, etc.), I'm referring to individuality among churches that came be found within varying beliefs.
if you have to water down then message to fellowship, then it is wrong.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
if you have to water down then message to fellowship, then it is wrong.
Hindus, Muslims, and Buddhists coming together for a bless me club.

No, it is just American Chuchanity making themselves feel good about themselves.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Hindus, Muslims, and Buddhists coming together for a bless me club.

No, it is just American Chuchanity making themselves feel good about themselves.
what fellowship hath light with darkness?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
what fellowship hath light with darkness?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

I've gotten my answer.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Hard pass on the community tent revival.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Hard pass on the community tent revival.
Isn't this how the UPCI came to be? PCI and PAJC?
Old 06-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Isn't this how the UPCI came to be? PCI and PAJC?
What do you mean?