Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Administrator

FYI Notes From a "One Stepper's" Baptism Sermon

Over the years a lot of discussion on AFF regarding the 3 step vs 1 step views of salvation. I would say that while my church is what those on here would call a one step church we consider that one step a very long one! We believe that being a christian and salvation is a lifelong journey that continues far beyond any initial acceptance of Christ as our savior. That brings us to the question of is baptism essential to which my pastor answers that this is the wrong question because anybody following Christ should want to be baptized. Below are the notes passed out for our Baptism weekend services as well as being posted on Youverse Live and the church webwsite www.experiencecc.com The webcast of the 11 am Baptism service that is wrapping up live should be archived in a day or two if anybody wants to hear the actual sermon. Just click on the "Watch" tab on the home page.

I don't have the time or energy to get into a big debate on the subject so probably will not respond much to this thread but offer it up for discussion among yourselves!

Baptism
This is our symbolic and public display that we have chosen Christ
We take on the “new man” and are “brought to life”
Similar to a marriage ceremony where we take on our “husbands” name (the wedding ring)
The baptism is not the salvation, but a physical representation of it
Baptism identifies us as Christians
This is the most evident part of our adoption into the family of God
It should also mark a turning point
One’s heart should start to change into alignment with God when we accept Christ, but an even greater change should come when we publically commit to follow Jesus through baptism

11 �You were also circumcised in Him with a circumcision not done with hands, by putting off the body of flesh, in the circumcision of the Messiah. 12 �Having been buried with Him in baptism, you were also raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
Colossians 2:11-12 (HCSB)

The Example
Jesus came to shake things up
Jesus came to change the process in which our salvation came
Part of this was through baptism, something that had never been done before for salvation
Instead of killing animals to “roll sin away” temporarily, belief, baptism, and repentance can permanently cleanse
Jesus had nothing to repent for
Jesus didn’t get baptized because He had to, but He wanted to give an example of what the Father wants from us
We see here that Jesus never asks us to do something He hasn’t already done first

15 Jesus answered him, “Allow it for now, because this is the way for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him ⌊to be baptized⌋. 16 After Jesus was baptized, He went up immediately from the water. The heavens suddenly opened for Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on Him. 17 �And there came a voice from heaven: This is My�beloved�Son. I take delight in�Him! Matthew 3:15-17 (HCSB)

An Activation
A relationship with God is a process
As we move through the process of being set apart for God, choices we make activate promises God has for us
When we genuinely repent and choose to be baptized as a public profession of faith, the Holy Spirit will empower us to live in a way that pleases God

38 �“Repent,” Peter said to them, “and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children, and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” 40 And with many other words he testified and strongly urged them, saying, “Be saved from this corrupt generation!” 41 �So those who accepted his message were baptized, and that day about 3,000 people were added to them. Acts 2:38-41 (HCSB)

Learning to use weapons
After repentance and baptism, one should read 1Corinthians 12-14 and start to pray that God uses these gifts in and through us
These gifts are in place to help us advance God’s Kingdom and to grow our relationship with Him

Jesus Instructs Us
Sometimes it’s about obedience
We are naturally rebellious because humanity is in a fallen state
We need to stop debating God, and just start following His lead
Though I cannot explain everything about baptism, I know it is imperative to follow God’s instruction

19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20 (HCSB)

15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commands John 14:15 (HCSB)

It Identifies Us with His Resurrection
The symbolism of a fresh start
Baptism symbolizes us dying to ourselves and being buried, but more importantly it identifies us with rising again!
We will have struggles, but from this moment we are labeled as new creations, no longer slaves to our former selves!

3 Or are you unaware that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in a new way of life. 5 For if we have been joined with Him in the likeness of His death, we will certainly also be in the likeness of His resurrection. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that sin’s dominion over the body may be abolished, so that we may no longer be enslaved to sin, 7 since a person who has died is freed from sin’s claims. Romans 6:5-7 (HCSB)

Why Jesus’ Name?
Baptism isn’t a magical formula
The words spoken over someone getting baptized are not as important as the genuineness of the person’s heart making the public profession
But, we also want to make sure that we pray the only name that saves over new believers, because this is the identity they’re adopting
The model of the 1st Century Church
Peter ordered Jews to baptize in Jesus’ name and Paul taught the Greeks this
The disciples used the name that encompassed the 3 titles of God
This name holds all power (Rom. 10:13)
One doesn’t have to use elaborate words. “In the name of Jesus Christ” is a sufficient way of praying over a baptism
Above all other things, we find our identity in Jesus
Salvation only comes when we identify ourselves as followers of Jesus above all things, even gender, occupation, nationality, or skin color. That’s why speaking Jesus name over people is so important

26 �for you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 �For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ like a garment. 28 �There is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:26-28 (HCSB)

Why Complete Submersion?
Baptisma or Baptizo
The Greek for the word baptism simply means to submerge under water
Complete submersion identifies us with Christ’s burial
If we are identified with a burial ceremony, one would not just sprinkle dirt on a coffin, but would cover it completely

Do I have to? (Acts 8:26-40)
Notice the excitement and urgency of the Ethiopian man. His wanting to get baptized was not out of fear, obligation, or acceptance of others, but out of sheer joy to get to do what pleases God!

Asking better questions
The questions with our relationship to God should never be centered around “What do I HAVE to do?” After we start to understand His sacrifice for us, we should respond with questions centered around “What more CAN I do for Christ?”
So, if you believe, what is stopping your public profession?
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-31-2015, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Re: FYI Notes From a "One Stepper's" Baptism Sermo

Praise report that between our Friday night Praise & Worship event and our 4 regular weekend services Saturday and Sunday we baptized a total of 68 people in Jesus name!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

In the Name of Jesus Christ.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Praise report that between our Friday night Praise & Worship event and our 4 regular weekend services Saturday and Sunday we baptized a total of 68 people in Jesus name!

Wow...AWESOME...praise God!