Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
3-step, doctrine, heritage

Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
delete account

Question Do YOU really believe what you were taught?

Through the years I have asked questions and sought out answers through those more knowlegeable than I, through education, and through my own personal studies. Doctrinally, I believe what I was taught in every area of Biblically sound doctrine.

The only thing that I have changed my mind on is the manmade application of "outward dress".

Things have been added to my belief system through the understanding of grace, mercy, and sanctificaiton but it all fits perfectly together in my mind.

What do you, or don't you believe from what you were taught growing up in the church? I am curious as to how many feel alike or differently from myself.

Thank-you for responding.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Do YOU really believe what you were taught?

Well I dropped the horse and buggy mode of transportation for starters...

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 02-25-2008, 06:13 PM
delete account

Smile Re: Do YOU really believe what you were taught?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Well I dropped the horse and buggy mode of transportation for starters...
You ANA-Baptist you I meant those raised in the Apostolic Doctrine. Don't mess with me today- I've had a rough day!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
Through the years I have asked questions and sought out answers through those more knowlegeable than I, through education, and through my own personal studies. Doctrinally, I believe what I was taught in every area of Biblically sound doctrine.

The only thing that I have changed my mind on is the manmade application of "outward dress".

Things have been added to my belief system through the understanding of grace, mercy, and sanctificaiton but it all fits perfectly together in my mind.

What do you, or don't you believe from what you were taught growing up in the church? I am curious as to how many feel alike or differently from myself.

Blessings, Rhoni
That "Manmade" application of "Outward Dress" I completely agree with!

You ain't gonna see me "Naked!" I wear "Manmade" clothes!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
That "Manmade" application of "Outward Dress" I completely agree with!

You ain't gonna see me "Naked!" I wear "Manmade" clothes!
Thank goodness...the nightmares you have spared me
Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post

Blessings, Rhoni
Wow, tall order. My "spiritual journey" has taken many turns down through the years. My faith hasn't changed, but, is some ways, it has evolved.

At one time I believed the Serpent Seed doctrine. But, one day, I read John 3:16. And I allowed myself to think outside the box. And, I eventually climbed out of that box and never looked back.

I use to be against woman ministers, (that came from the same teaching). But, once again, I did what I wasn't suppose to do. I questioned. And God answered.

I use to be very strict, (no TV, no anything). But, I realized that "Its not what goes in that defiles, its what comes out". (Paraphrase) Now, as long as I keep my heart right, I don't have to spend so much time covering my eyes and ears. . I was strictly a standards man, but then I realized I was spending too much time washing the outside of my platter, while ignoring the dead bones within. I decided to get rid of the bones, and you know what, when I did, the outside took care of itself.

Doctrinally, I have evolved a little. I focus more on Jesus now, instead of focusing on doctrines about Him. I've come to a better understanding of the Gospel of the Kingdom that I had before. And I use to love to fuss and argue. But, some time out of fellowship with the Body of Christ cured me of that. Now, I try to promote unity within the Body because, if there has ever been a Message of the Hour, the Unity of the Spirit is that message.

Oh yeah, and I spend much less time trying to earn my salvation, and more time rejoicing in the grace that keeps me saved!

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Holy Unto The Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
Wow, tall order. My "spiritual journey" has taken many turns down through the years. My faith hasn't changed, but, is some ways, it has evolved.

At one time I believed the Serpent Seed doctrine. But, one day, I read John 3:16. And I allowed myself to think outside the box. And, I eventually climbed out of that box and never looked back.

I use to be against woman ministers, (that came from the same teaching). But, once again, I did what I wasn't suppose to do. I questioned. And God answered.

I use to be very strict, (no TV, no anything). But, I realized that "Its not what goes in that defiles, its what comes out". (Paraphrase) Now, as long as I keep my heart right, I don't have to spend so much time covering my eyes and ears. . I was strictly a standards man, but then I realized I was spending too much time washing the outside of my platter, while ignoring the dead bones within. I decided to get rid of the bones, and you know what, when I did, the outside took care of itself.

Doctrinally, I have evolved a little. I focus more on Jesus now, instead of focusing on doctrines about Him. I've come to a better understanding of the Gospel of the Kingdom that I had before. And I use to love to fuss and argue. But, some time out of fellowship with the Body of Christ cured me of that. Now, I try to promote unity within the Body because, if there has ever been a Message of the Hour, the Unity of the Spirit is that message.

Oh yeah, and I spend much less time trying to earn my salvation, and more time rejoicing in the grace that keeps me saved!
Great post and thoughts!

Our walk is a journey, and none of us have made it until we have made it!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
delete account

Smile Re: Do YOU really believe what you were taught?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post

Quote:
We pastored several Branhamites and boy were they miserable people. By pastored, i meant...they came to our church to participate in deaf ministry and Bible Quizing, but they condemned their own children to hell because any mistake they made...they were serpent seed.
Anyway, this is a great post and I agree, especially with this statement:Oh yeah, and I spend much less time trying to earn my salvation, and more time rejoicing in the grace that keeps me saved

I still fight the urge to earn my place because I feel so unworthy, but then...I am reminded of His grace!

Yours is a great, honest, and sincere post.

Thank-you, Rhoni
Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Over the past 20 years, I have come to understand how important "Grace" is. It is not an "evil" word as so many have attached negative connotations to it, but it is ultimately what saves us.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

I believe everything I was taught by my elders.