Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Re: Need Some Cajun Recipes from Some of You Ragin

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
This recipe looks awesome! I can't wait to try it!

I want to try it as well.

FERD, what kind of sausage do you use? I know Cajuns are very picky about their sausage...
Old 09-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I want to try it as well.

FERD, what kind of sausage do you use? I know Cajuns are very picky about their sausage...
I generally use homeade deer sausage. in a pinch I just hold my nose and buy what I can find here in Dallas.

Use what you like. If I was in Louisiana, that would not be hard to find.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Bumping for Margie.
Ferd I have never seen a gumbo recipe with bay leaves. What does it do for the gumbo?
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 AM
Registered Member

Rice is really the best thing to serve gumbo with?..cant believe no one jumped on that.
Seriously Ive never heard of sides with gumbo?....Google cajun carls outdoors for some really good recipes. He used to have a really good one for white etoufee on there.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddMann24 View Post
Rice is really the best thing to serve gumbo with?..cant believe no one jumped on that.
Seriously Ive never heard of sides with gumbo?....Google cajun carls outdoors for some really good recipes. He used to have a really good one for white etoufee on there.
Rice is the only thing I have ever served with gumbo. I like it without rice as well.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 AM

boy, im a bit late to this thread.

Esther, I have never heard of not using Bay leaves.

I have no idea what it does or doesn't do. just know its pretty much done....

As for sides, Cajuns like potato salad IN their gumbo bowl!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 AM

Gumbo Recipe

To start with this is a very basic gumbo recipe. It is for Chicken and sausage. Make it a couple of times then make the changes you like. I have done a couple things different than most. I use Poblano Peppers instead of Bell Peppers. I prefer the flavor. Do what you want but really to me the Poblano is just better. I also prefer to start with a rotisserie chicken instead of a raw bird. It is far quicker, and if anything the taste of the stock is richer. I have provided both processes here so do what you like. Lastly you will notice that I do not use Okra in my gumbo. That is the great debate among gumbo makers/eaters. Some love it, some hate it. I am indifferent leaning toward dislike. But from what I can tell, there are two schools. There is the Cajun school and the Creole school. Creole will have the Okra in it and may even add some tomato. Cajun typically forgoes both. I am decidedly of the opinion that Cajun Gumbo is just better.

Hope you enjoy!

Stock
Making the stock is really the key to getting a good gumbo. You can follow one of two processes. I will provide both here.
My preference is for the shorter version that involves using a Rotisserie chicken
NOTE: you will notice that I don’t add any salt to make the stock. That’s important. Wait until later for seasoning.
NOTE2: You can make the stock the day or week before.
NOTE3: if you are going to cook your own roux do it at least a day ahead. I mean this don’t try to make the roux while you are making the gumbo. This is a recipe for disaster. Make it early store in the fridge
NOTE4: Skim… Throughout the entire process, remove the access fat that comes to the surface. The chicken has fat, the sausage has fat and the roux has fat all that will float to the top as you cook. Just keep skimming until it’s gone. This is the thing that really separates great gumbo from not so great.

Traditional Stock

1 Whole chicken cut up in pieces
1 Onion
2 carrots cut in chunks
2 celery stalks cut in chunks
4 cloves garlic. Smashed but not chopped
3 stems of fresh thyme if you can get it.
3 to 4 bay leaves
(I have been known to add a tomato to the stock but this is just if I have one on hand that can go in the pot

Add the chicken and veg to a pot and cover with cold water. Turn on medium heat and bring to a slow boil. Reduce to simmer and simmer for an hour and 15 minutes.

When cooked, remove the chicken, strain the stock toss the veggies.

Debone the chicken and discard the bones.

Reserve the chicken for the gumbo.

Rotisserie Chicken version

1 Rotisserie Chicken (My preference is from Costco, they are less expensive and bigger… but any will work. If you are feeding a large group, and can’t get one from Costco get two)
1 onion
2 carrots chunked
2 celery stalks chunked
4 cloves garlic
3 stems of fresh thyme if you can get it.
3 to 4 bay leaves
(Again as above upon occasion I may toss in a tomato for the stock.)

Debone the chicken, reserve the meat. Toss in the skin, bones and fat (yes the fat) into a pot with the veg. Add water and cook about 30 minutes.

Strain and toss everything but the stock.

GUMBO

Stock
1 to 2 LBS Smoked Sausage (here in Dallas when I can’t find good Andouille I use Ekridge sausage) cut into bite size pieces
1 Large Onion diced
2 Poblano Peppers (roast the skin off and dice)
4 Stalks Celery diced
4 cloves garlic diced
Roux (see below for instructions)
Reserved Chicken
Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
Salt (maybe)
Chicken Bouillon (maybe)

Put the stock in a large stock pot and bring to a simmer. Start at this point to skim the fat off the top of the stock. If you are using stock you made the day before, you can removed most of the fat while it is cold.
If your stock is thin, add some chicken bouillon. This may or may not be necessary but Chicken Bouillon has salt so be careful. You don’t want to over-do this. It can add depth however so do so if you need it.

Brown the Smoked Sausage in a large skillet. Remove the sausage and set aside Keep the fat in the skillet.
Sauté the veggies in the same skillet used to cook the sausage. Set aside.

Bring the Stock to rolling boil and begin adding the Roux.
First, remove the standing oil from the roux. Just pour off and toss.
How much is a matter of taste and touch. I can’t tell you exactly how much. Just add it until it looks right. The taste at this point won’t be good. Don’t worry.
After the roux has been well incorporated, (I use a whisk to make sure it is dissolved), skim any fat.

Next add the sausage, and veggies to the pot. Skim

Now it’s time to season.
Start with the Tony’s bring up the salt and spice to a comfortable level.
For me, when the salt is right the spice will be right but if you aren’t a fan of spiciness, then taste along the way until the spice is where you want it, then bring up the saltiness with salt.
(If you don’t like Tony’s then you need to use some amount of red and black peppers, thyme, salt, garlic powder, onion powder.)

Add the chicken

Skim
Skim
Skim
Skim

Cook at a med heat for 15 minutes until the flavors marry. Adjust as needed.

Serve with Long Grain White Rice. On a personal note, it will heart my very soul if you use par-boiled rice. I know some folk like it but I simply cannot understand that. Rice should be treated with more respect than that! LOL!

Roux

There are 3 options for the roux.
Honestly the first one is the short cut and good enough that I use it about half the time. For first time Gumbo cookers, I would start with this and then as you go, go advanced.
BUY IT! Seriously, I buy Cary’s Roux from Kroger. It is good. It works and tastes very good.

If you really want to make it yourself you have two options.
1. Cook on the stove
2. Cook in the oven

The stove option is faster but more labor intensive and the quickest way to ruin your roux. You better be prepared to stand right on top of the pot for 30 to 40 minutes stirring constantly without so much as turning around.
The oven is more forgiving. You put it in the oven at about 400 and let it go. Check every 15 minutes and stir. This is going to take somewhere between one and two hours.

In both cases you start with

2 cups flour
2 cups oil. (Canola, vegetable, peanut all work well.) DO NOT USE BUTTER OR OLIVE OIL.
If you feel really really Cajun and have access to it, you can use chicken fat but that is just seriously asking for a heart attack… it is the most authentic method)
Plus a bit more oil.

Keep the oil handy in case you need to add more during the cooking process. Just keep it slightly more wet than peanut butter.

You are looking for a color that is just lighter than milk chocolate. Once it gets there get it off the burner/out of the oven. It will continue to brown for a bit.

If you already get dark, stir while off the heat to cool faster. If you are worried, toss in a chopped onion off the burner to cool it. Don’t worry more onion in the gumbo is a good thing.

Seriously if this is your first round, don’t make your own roux. Buy it.

NOTE on storing Roux. Keep it in a quart jar in the fridge. Make sure there is a layer of oil on the top that covers by about a half inch. It will keep almost forever.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:45 AM

Please note you do need this green box/bottle... whatever it is

http://www.tonychachere.com/
Old 09-01-2015, 09:47 AM

Of all the various store bought Roux's out there. this is the one I find to be the best flavor

Please note, I have never tried any of their other products other than the original Roux.

https://karysroux.com/