Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

If Jesus is the Root. Love will be the fruit!

What would you consider the DO's of Holiness?
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Start with the sermon on the mount. There are things in it to do and to be. The foundation of holiness to me is a close walk with the Lord. Time with him in prayer and the word.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

I think I'd consider producing the Fruit of the Spirit a part of Holiness.

Opposite of being Holy:

Quote:
Gal 5:19 - 21 (KJV)
19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Leading a Holy Life:

Quote:
Gal 5:22 - 25 (KJV)
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 03-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Amen to Joel and Bro. Price.
Hi Michael,nice i ran into you.How are you and the wife,family ? This next scripture is not just to you.It is just some of what I preach.It is to all. More of what holiness is.

Our thoughts,1 Cor.13:4: Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,5: Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

2 Cor.10:3: For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:4: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds5: Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Philp.4:8: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.9: Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Phip.2:5: Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Eph.4:21: If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:22: That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;23: And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24: And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness
Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelel View Post
Hi Michael,nice i ran into you.How are you and the wife,family ? This next scripture is not just to you.It is just some of what I preach.It is to all. More of what holiness is.

Our thoughts,1 Cor.13:4: Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,5: Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

2 Cor.10:3: For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:4: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds5: Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Philp.4:8: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.9: Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Phip.2:5: Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Eph.4:21: If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:22: That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;23: And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24: And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness
Hi Joel,

We are doing ok. Wife still in need of healing, thanks. Hope you and family are well.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 PM
Banned

Re: Holiness: What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
Let's take a deep look into holiiness.

What do we know from the Word about Holiness?

We know God is Holy.
We know that without holiness no man shall see the Lord.

Those two statements being true then we ought to look at this subject with all seriousness.

Holiness is more then just a set of rules to live by, it's a producing of the Fruit of the Spirit in our lives. Can we produce the fruit if we are not Holy or does producing the fruit give evidence of His Holiness in our lives?

Jesus once came upon a fig tree looking for a fig to eat, he know it was a fig tree by looking at it, yet he cursed it when he didn't find any fruit.

Wouldn't it be horrible to look the part but produce no fruit and be cursed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfWord View Post
Holiness is very simple. Something is considered "holy" when it has been consecrated or set apart for a specific purpose. That is the essence of holiness. The two aspects of holiness are separated "from" and separated "to."

It really doesn't get any more simple than that.

Show us the ancient paths...
Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBukaroo View Post
Show us the ancient paths...

You mean the one where they wore beards?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:13 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
You mean the one where they wore beards?
And men wore robes? lol...

I see that the original poster's comments about holiness being heart-related were completely ignored by the poster who just reignited this thread...
Old 06-25-2018, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

In more recent years, many churches (Apostolic or not) have reexamined their long-held assumptions on holiness.

Many Christians today look at traditional holiness as legalism and list of what one can and cannot do, but that's not what it is.

Holiness is not legalism. It never has been, and it never will be. It isn't a list a pastor hangs in the church's foyer to notify its members, regulars, and visitors what that church tolerates and classifies as holiness. That's ridiculous. Personally, if I ever saw anything like that in any of the churches I were to visit, I wouldn't go in any further, I would simply leave the same way I came in.

Most (and I stress most) of the churches I've been to that preach and live stricter traditional holiness generally do not preach holiness. They preach standards. And standards are not holiness, and they never will be. Are there different levels of strictness as to which individual Christians hold themselves? Of course. But not everything, in this Christian's view, is a necessity.

Holiness — as defined so many times — has to do with an inward cleansing of one's heart. That's definitely how it begins. As the process continues, this inward change will certainly have an effect on the individual's actions, thoughts, words, intentions, and appearance. Of course, there are varying degrees to each of these, and you will find a Christian everywhere that will break disregard any idea you thought you had about any holiness Christian.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.