Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 PM
All Because Jesus...

COG To Prohibit Ministers Social Media Pen Names

Thought some of the ministers from this forum might find this interesting.... I am former Church of God (COG). They hold their General Assembly every 2 years, where they elect leadership, make appointments, and the Ministers vote in rules, guidelines, etc. So this year is General Assembly year, and the agenda of proposals is out....

For years, leadership at headquarters has hated when ministers post in Online Forums by pen names, and question authority, tell things that are going on, etc.

So to hit that in the face, there is a proposal now as an agenda item to prohibit all ministers from posting on social media with pen names.

The exact wording, on page 25 of the agenda, is an amendment to the "General Instructions for Ministers" which list five new rules, including this one: "Church of God ministers. . . shall at all times agree to write and post only under their own name." Further, there is this warning: "Failure to follow these guidelines . . . shall result in the offending minister being subject to discipline for unbecoming ministerial conduct."

Can you believe this? And can you imagine how impossible it would be to police this????
Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Don't ask.

Re: COG To Prohibit Ministers Social Media Pen Nam

lol
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Personally, I like it when people use their real names as well. I do not believe it is something that should, or even can, be legislated though. My last name is no secret but still use my middle name lest Google tag every single post I make here.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM
All Because Jesus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Personally, I like it when people use their real names as well. I do not believe it is something that should, or even can, be legislated though. My last name is no secret but still use my middle name lest Google tag every single post I make here.
It will probably never pass, but considering how many forums the COG preachers have, and how many of them there are... it will turn into a canibalistic witch hunt of guys bringing each other up on charges to enforce such a thing... Absolute lunacy.

And screen names are important at times when little Rev. Tom Smith down at Dirt Road COG questions how some money is being spent at headquarters, only has 15 members, and fears retribution from headquarters if he were to post under his real name. Pen names are needed for checks and balances in a denom with such a strong central government as the COG.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Robbins View Post
It will probably never pass, but considering how many forums the COG preachers have, and how many of them there are... it will turn into a canibalistic witch hunt of guys bringing each other up on charges to enforce such a thing... Absolute lunacy.

And screen names are important at times when little Rev. Tom Smith down at Dirt Road COG questions how some money is being spent at headquarters, only has 15 members, and fears retribution from headquarters if he were to post under his real name. Pen names are needed for checks and balances in a denom with such a strong central government as the COG.
I am going to agree with everything you just said. It is the same reason that voting ballots are, and need to keep being, secret.

When I read the first post my mind immediately went to the idea of someone anonymously taking pot shots and how it would should a bit more courage if they were to use their real names. But really this is different sides of the same coin.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 PM
My Family!

There have been ministers here that have used made-up screen names so that they could "speak their minds" and the witch hunt didn't waver.

A couple of incidents got pretty nasty, in fact.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
There have been ministers here that have used made-up screen names so that they could "speak their minds" and the witch hunt didn't waver.

A couple of incidents got pretty nasty, in fact.
In fact wasn't Reckart involved in a lawsuit or the threat of one against either this board of CAF at one point in years past?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
In fact wasn't Reckart involved in a lawsuit or the threat of one against either this board of CAF at one point in years past?
He was involved in several lawsuits, but it was only a threat concerning our boards.

The issues we had were UPCI ministers.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne

I don't know about that.

I do remember that Alice got his lawyers after Jim Yohe of the original FaithChildForum.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I think it is a good move.

If Pastors can't speak among themselves openly and with respect without having to hide their identities then there is something wrong.