Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Re: Anybody got milk goats?

Mine didn't have a goaty taste. However, I always milk in a stainless steel pan, with cheesecloth over it so nothing gets in the milk. I then stored it in glass jars & got it in the fridge fast. The key to anything dairy is pristene clean everytime.
I would only breed your goats to another ND or a pygmy buck.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRK View Post
Mine didn't have a goaty taste. However, I always milk in a stainless steel pan, with cheesecloth over it so nothing gets in the milk. I then stored it in glass jars & got it in the fridge fast. The key to anything dairy is pristene clean everytime.
I would only breed your goats to another ND or a pygmy buck.
Thank you JRK,
Yes, I still have my stainless steel milk pail and a SS strainer. It is a small pail and when I had goats before, I sometimes put the pail in another pan with ice cubes, so as to chill the milk as quick as it was milked, in the summertime.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Raw milk is great. But Some people will not dare drink RAW milk.

Remember raw milk is only safe
after 30 illegal aliens handle it first, then put it in china plastic jugs. Then store it as long as allowed by law. Then we Feel much safer.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Banned

we have goats--nubians, alpines, and crosses. all of the problems with goaty-tasting milk--that i am aware of--occur due to poor handling, letting the milk warm up. Never heard of 'cleaning' goat's milk before.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Our goats (we just sold them due to my health issues) were full sized Alpines. They have a sweet milk flavor, the most like cow's milk you can find. It does not have the goaty taste. We fed them organically, a recipe that will share if you are interested. Also gave them organic alfalfa/weed hay. I adored my goats and miss them so much, but it gives me joy to talk about them. Ask any questions you'd like.

We drank our milk raw, which had tremedous health benefits. Now we are back to store bought organic cow milk. Ick. I miss our goat milk!!

My husband makes stainless steel, heavy duty cheese presses. I can try to attach a picture if anyone is interested. They are $158 with free shipping.

We made milk, kefir, yogurt, and soap with our goat milk. It was so much fun!!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny60 View Post
Our goats (we just sold them due to my health issues) were full sized Alpines. They have a sweet milk flavor, the most like cow's milk you can find. It does not have the goaty taste. We fed them organically, a recipe that will share if you are interested. Also gave them organic alfalfa/weed hay. I adored my goats and miss them so much, but it gives me joy to talk about them. Ask any questions you'd like.

We drank our milk raw, which had tremedous health benefits. Now we are back to store bought organic cow milk. Ick. I miss our goat milk!!

My husband makes stainless steel, heavy duty cheese presses. I can try to attach a picture if anyone is interested. They are $158 with free shipping.

it does sound more fun then sitting in a cube farm doing financial reports . . .
Old 08-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny60 View Post

Have you ever raised sheep?

How many goats did you have?

How often were they milked? Were they pretty docile?

What kind of fencing did you use?

What health issues did they have, if any, and how did you keep them healthy?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Have you ever raised sheep?

How many goats did you have?

How often were they milked? Were they pretty docile?

What kind of fencing did you use?

What health issues did they have, if any, and how did you keep them healthy?
I have never raised sheep, no. I have friends that have if you'd like me to ask them any questions.

We had 4 does, and at times 10 goats when there were kids.

I milked them every morning. Some people milk x2 a day. The main thing with milking is that it's done consistently, around the same time every day whether it's once or twice a day.

When we first got them, Bella, our herd queen was a stinker. She didn't want me touching her but I had to milk her or she could get mastitis. I was kind of scared of her. (Our goats had horns) I just kept working on her and we ended up being the best of buddies. I could even ask her for a kiss and she'd stick her nose out to me for a smooch. I woudn't say any of the goats were docile. They had spunk and could be stubborn, but once they trust you, they are much like dogs. They knew their names and for the most part would come to me when I called them. If not, shake a bag with treats in them, and they'd come running. They are little piggies. lol.

We used combination or cattle panel. The only one who every got out was a buck we had on loan. He wanted to get to the does.

We raised them organically and they were totally healthy. We gave them home made herbal treats to prevent worms. When they were pregnant, we gave them raspberry leaves/canes to strengthen the uteruses.

One doe had a rough labor once, and I really had to go digging for the kids. She was quite sore and swollen after kidding and we did give her shots of penicillian for 10 or 14 days. She came through it with flying colors.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:24 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Thanks for the info. We are trying to decide on goats vs sheep. Already working on cows, but want something supplemental. Two in the hand, eggs in one basket, that sort of thing.

I presume you didn't use any of them for meat?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-14-2017, 04:07 AM
Covenant Apostolic

I don't raise anything, but live in an area zoned for farming, and have observed that goats seem to raise themselves. thought often of getting one to mow the yard. and Jamaicans seem to like to buy them for meat. also they are really cute.