Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I have had some interesting commuincations today including a telephone call from some guy that used to be on the forum and went by NLYP.

Dan pointed out a couple of things to me in conversation. One is that Pastors Hennigan and Cardwell's are not a "half mile" apart. They are 1 1/2 blocks apart!!!!!

It is also my understanding that Pastor Cardwell and his church board are removing the church from the UPC without a vote at the church and are allowed to do so under church bylaws / rules. The church membership is having no say in the matter and is apparently causing some to drive either 1 1/2 blocks further or nearer to go to church.
Those aren't the only churches in DeQuincy! Others are seeing the results as well.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrLA View Post
Actually there are three UPC churches in DeQuincy. I happen to be at one of them Pentecostal House of Praise, pastored by David Kennon. Braneff is not UPC by any means. Then there are several UPC churches around DeQuincy...Smokey Cove, Oretta, Etc. It is very interesting to say the least. I moved here about 6 months ago. I've never seen anything like it. lol

Bro. Hennigan (UPC) is the largest, then Cardwell (UPC), then Braneff (not UPC), the PHOP (Kennon-UPC), and it goes from there.
I wasn't aware of Bro. Kennon's church. I do know Bro. Braneff very well, though. I didn't state that he was UPC. I was Music Director there for 4 1/2 years, so I have a little bit of knowledge.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
I wasn't aware of Bro. Kennon's church. I do know Bro. Braneff very well, though. I didn't state that he was UPC. I was Music Director there for 4 1/2 years, so I have a little bit of knowledge.
Miss B. Sad, but through the years PHOP has not been a very loud voice in DeQuincy. I pray that this is changing. It is a really good church, great worship and is really beginning to grow. It was in DeQuincy long before Bro. Braneff ever came to DeQuincy! Infact, Bro. Kennon remembers that entrance.....

I know quite a few from Braneff's! Small World.....:
Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Miss B. Sad, but through the years PHOP has not been a very loud voice in DeQuincy. I pray that this is changing. It is a really good church, great worship and is really beginning to grow. It was in DeQuincy long before Bro. Braneff ever came to DeQuincy! Infact, Bro. Kennon remembers that entrance.....

I know quite a few from Braneff's! Small World.....:
Wow, Bro. Kennon must have been there a very long time. The Braneff's started their church back in the late 70's. I know Bro. B's entrance wasn't welcomed, to say the least.

Tell me who you know! I may even know some folks that go to your church.

To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—

Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow, Bro. Kennon must have been there a very long time. The Braneff's started their church back in the late 70's. I know Bro. B's entrance wasn't welcomed, to say the least.

Tell me who you know! I may even know some folks that go to your church.
Bro. Kennon has been there 31 years, maybe a little longer. The church was ther quite a few years before that. Had I believe 2 or 3 pastors before Bro. Kennon.

I know the Benoits, Daphanie (I think she does the music now), My wife knew Daryl very well (Braneff), and many others by face... in DQ, it isn't hard to see pentecostals....EVERYWHERE!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Live! Via Satellite

Quote:
Bro. Kennon has been there 31 years, maybe a little longer. The church was ther quite a few years before that. Had I believe 2 or 3 pastors before Bro. Kennon.

I know the Benoits, Daphanie (I think she does the music now), My wife knew Daryl very well (Braneff), and many others by face... in DQ, it isn't hard to see pentecostals....EVERYWHERE!

I finally found out what church it was that I visited, JR. FYI, it was Cardwells.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Yes, Daphanie (is that the right spelling??) does the music...although I never met her.

So Bro. Kennon would've arrived a couple of years before Bro. Braneff started the church. Got it.

What are you running for?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, Daphanie (is that the right spelling??) does the music...although I never met her.

So Bro. Kennon would've arrived a couple of years before Bro. Braneff started the church. Got it.

What are you running for?
Not running...just like the smilie! lol

Do you remember Daryl???
Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Not running...just like the smilie! lol

Do you remember Daryl???
Definitely.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

I preached for Kenon way back in the early and mid-eighties so he's been there a good while.

He's from Tennessee, I believe ... a rarity for that area in that he's not a native Louisianian.

Oh.

Don't forget Calvary; another indy church pastored now by Marvin Hicks in his sunset years.

My ex-father-in-law pastored Smokey Cove for many years.

Go on up the road from Oretta - pastored a long time by A. D. Spears' late father-in-law and Smokey Cove and you're in Singer.

Of course, when you get to Singer you are out of Section 4 and into Section 6 so maybe we've gone as far as we need to up Highway 27.

From DeQuincy on up to DeRidder and further north on that western edge of Louisiana along the Sabine River, it's a different world.

That part of the world was mostly Spanish territory and was not part of the original Louisiana purchase.

Drive just a few miles out of Sulphur north on Highway 27 and all of a sudden, you've left Cajun country far behind.