Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

MIDI Software

Alright...

I used to cut MIDI tracks of songs back in the day when I was working with home missions works and the talent pool was scarce.

I am thinking about putting myself another MIDI system together.

I used to use the Alesis MMT-8 but I have a feeling that the best route to go is going to be using MIDI Software on my laptop rather than doing it the old way and actually manipulating MIDI tracks with a MIDI machine.

Does anyone have any input as whether I am correct on my assumption on software versus midi machines?

If my assumption is correct then does anyone have any suggestions concerning MIDI software out there?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 12:55 PM

There was a project to offer a Linux Multimedia Studio. I do not know if it progressed to a release yet. I would think that a high end sound card with XLR input would be much better than the 1/8 inch imput/output that you may have with that laptop.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:58 PM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

You are correct, most users now use software. There are tooooo many to recommend, I'm a mac guy and I have "insider" trading secrets, hehe so I use Logic and am trying to get a handle on Pro Tools which is industry standard.
Now these 2 are recording giants who also implement MIDI.
Good luck!
BTW, I still have an old classic SE 30 Mac with 8 mgs of RAM with Digital Performer that we used on the first CLC "tape", fun times
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

Many MIDI in/outs have XLR
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
You are correct, most users now use software. There are tooooo many to recommend, I'm a mac guy and I have "insider" trading secrets, hehe so I use Logic and am trying to get a handle on Pro Tools which is industry standard.
Now these 2 are recording giants who also implement MIDI.
Good luck!
BTW, I still have an old classic SE 30 Mac with 8 mgs of RAM with Digital Performer that we used on the first CLC "tape", fun times
LOL... Ahhhhhhhhhh for the good ole days huh?

Thanks for the input. HAAAAAAAAAAAaa I made a funny.... Sorta.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Many MIDI in/outs have XLR
I was looking on ebay a few minutes ago for some good USB-MIDI Interface Setups.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

This is strange. My daughter and I were just talking about Midi also. She is interested in getting a Midi Controller keyboard and software for recording.

I noticed Korg makes a nice 61 key Midi controller and they give you a LE version of a popular Korg Synthesizer software free with it. I was $179 at American Musical.

By the way anyone in the market for any musical instruments, PA equipment, etc ought to check out www.americanmusical.com

I have bought from them for years and they are great. The best thing is that if you buy $300 or more from them if you want they will split it over 3 monthly charges to your credit or check card with only a one time $3.95 processing fee so you don't have any interest, etc.

I just bought a Zoom H4 and some bass / drum software for my daughter along with three mic's, stands, and cables for me.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
This is strange. My daughter and I were just talking about Midi also. She is interested in getting a Midi Controller keyboard and software for recording.

I noticed Korg makes a nice 61 key Midi controller and they give you a LE version of a popular Korg Synthesizer software free with it. I was $179 at American Musical.

By the way anyone in the market for any musical instruments, PA equipment, etc ought to check out www.americanmusical.com

I have bought from them for years and they are great. The best thing is that if you buy $300 or more from them if you want they will split it over 3 monthly charges to your credit or check card with only a one time $3.95 processing fee so you don't have any interest, etc.

I just bought a Zoom H4 and some bass / drum software for my daughter along with three mic's, stands, and cables for me.
Basically... 90 days same as cash...

Cool

I will check them out.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Go Dodgers!

Cake walk

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/default.asp

If you want to record and play with it, try Ableton
http://www.ableton.com/downloads

We got the lite versions of these with our sound card

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Basically... 90 days same as cash...

Cool

I will check them out.

Thanks
These guys sell good USB devices plus they often come with the software mentioned earlier

http://www.m-audio.com/

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.