Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Steadfast

Tulsa: A Description from a Coordinator of the Meeting

I just preached a very unique conference last week with two great Men of God. On one hand I had one of the Assistant General Superintendants and on the other hand I had one of the Coordinators of the Tulsa meeting.

For all the talk about 'recruiting' and 'stealing members' and 'unethical' that abounds I have to tell you that this isn't the spirit of the coordinators at all! They are kind gentlemen that are simply providing a grass roots meeting to discuss what steps to take to maintain an Apostolic atmosphere without the diminishing of Apostolic distinctives.

I spent several days with them and - AMAZINGLY - not one time did they ask me to come to the meeting (I'm personal friends with most of the names on the mail out and have never been asked or recruited to come) or to drag others with me if I should decide to go.

We had several candid conversations about recent events and I asked the coordinator point blank if the meeting was going to be a 'preaching' type meeting, a bloodbath or what... only to be told that what they want to do is NOTHING that would require anybody to leave the UPC. They simply want to talk options, hear suggestions and reiterate our goals as Apostolics.

I know this will seriously upset some people to know that it will neither be a...
  • Gripe session
  • UPC bashing meeting
  • Flashback to the vicious splits of days gone by or
  • A 'let's march out and make a statement' type meeting.

It's a meeting to gather suggestions and find a way to network men together who have begun to lose faith in the direction the Apostolic movement as a whole is going.

And, for what it's worth, I've talked to many who are involved or going to this meeting and have yet to hear any viciousness in their voices. Just a little sadness for the most part.

Thus, what most have surmised, heard gossiped about or interjected their own fabrications about... simply isn't true.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Steadfast,

Thank you for this post! I doubt there will be a lot of response since many want to paint this meeting as the antithesis of the UPCI. However, as you have succinctly stated, the men that are coordinating this event not only love their fellow ministers, they are not denigrating the organization that they themselves have invested much passion, sweat, tears, and time in building. Rather they are trying to find a way to preserve Apostolic doctrine, experience, and culture, allowing men so inclined to remain in their respective fellowships/organizations.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Da Evangelist

Thanks for helping to shed more light on the meeting.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:43 AM
Steadfast

Well, it's not as sensational as some of the things being told but the truth isn't generally a high priority on those who love sensationalism!

Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Registered Member

Did either man say they were turning in their cards before the meeting? If not, that would suggest to me that what you say is the intent of their hearts.

Quote:
....only to be told that what they want to do is NOTHING that would require anybody to leave the UPC. They simply want to talk options, hear suggestions and reiterate our goals as Apostolics.
If this is a meeting to consolidate the Apostolic teaching found in the Bible and present a united front then the conservatives will once again be a strong voice in the UPC. Otherwise why meet except to find a more viable and acceptable association apart from the UPC?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post

. . . We had several candid conversations about recent events and I asked the coordinator point blank if the meeting was going to be a 'preaching' type meeting, a bloodbath or what... only to be told that what they want to do is NOTHING that would require anybody to leave the UPC. They simply want to talk options, hear suggestions and reiterate our goals as Apostolics.

. . . Thus, what most have surmised, heard gossiped about or interjected their own fabrications about... simply isn't true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
I have been told by several men who have spoken to both Booker & Godair this is definitely a formation conference with all the bells and whistles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
I heard those men involved in sponsering the meeting are meeting next week?
What I mean about the bells and whistles they are going to have missions department and other departments but no salary officials. I don't have a dog in this but I had hoped they would just have a very loose minister's fellowship. There is already the IAM foundation for missions used by many pastors.

Pastor Steadfast

From your firsthand information, is this going to be a "formation conference?"

Your statement: ". . . only to be told that what they want to do is NOTHING that would require anybody to leave the UPC." seems to directly contradict the reports that Pastor Epley has heard from the conference organizers.

Will there be a new organization following the Tulsa meeting?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
Pastor Steadfast

From your firsthand information, is this going to be a "formation conference?"

Your statement: ". . . only to be told that what they want to do is NOTHING that would require anybody to leave the UPC." seems to directly contradict the reports that Pastor Epley has heard from the conference organizers.

Will there be a new organization following the Tulsa meeting?
Exactly. If this meeting is for gathering those that are less than happy about the direction UPC is going and they are going to brainstorm how they can remain a part of UPC and make a difference, then I could understand, but I think we all know that is not the case.

Your point that there is no hatred, etc. is well taken, but still it appears to be a meeting to plan the next step of leaving UPCI.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

I can hear that song echoing....Living on Tulsa time......Living on Tulsa time...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 AM

Would anyone expect the spin to be otherwise?

Is Baghdad Bob the coordinator of misinformation?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Well, it's not as sensational as some of the things being told but the truth isn't generally a high priority on those who love sensationalism!

I have a friend that goes to Bro. Kenny Godair's chruch and he said that Bro. Kenny Godair has told his church publicly that they are pulling out of the UPC