Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Richard Perry

A Faithful Reflection

“A Faithful Reflection”

Abraham felt the gravel crunch beneath his feet. His sandals had begun to slide forward as he continued the climb up Mt. Moriah. For two days he and Isaac had carefully climbed the switchback trails toward the mountain peak. They shared very little conversation along the way and he noticed that Isaac studied every turnoff carefully. Abraham knew it was because there was no sacrifice.

So, Abraham began his story;

“Isaac,” he began. “The name of this mountain is the mountain of the Amorite. You’re dad was and Amorite before he chose to follow God. God changed him. God gave me a new lineage, a new name and a new future.”

“I know that Dad,” Isaac said.

“But, there are some other things I want you to know, so hush a moment.” Silence ensued so Abraham continued. “When I built my first altar, God refused to accept my offering. I fell into a deep sleep and saw a burning lamp and smoking furnace move to the pieces that I had placed the only way I knew how, and saw that they were not hot enough to burn the pieces. I then learned my journey would take much time and patience before the promises came to pass. Toward the end of the vision He said; ‘because the Iniquity of the Amorites is not yet fulfilled’. I considered this to be a prophetic explanation of my vision, and never considered it a part of a message to me personally.”

Isaac stopped and stared in the distance at an oxen corralled and then looked questioningly at his Dad.

“Son, don’t worry about the sacrifice, just listen to me. I became impatient looking for the promises of kings and priests out of my lineage. I remembered the power and authority wielded by the kings in the Chaldees and began to dream for our household to benefit of the dream. God sent us to places of peace and tranquility, and in my impatience quickly moved to places that fulfilled my dreaming about your deification. Egypt, walled cities they said; I just ended up building on Pyramidal structures similar to Babylonian Ziggurats. I really slipped far away from the upright man God had made me. I lied to the king, and let your mother talk me into taking that Hagar woman.”

Isaac spun his head at Abraham and slowed a moment. “Never mind that Isaac, just listen. There was a time I was faithful, trustworthy and brave. But, after Egypt and Palestine I learned that the iniquity that the Lord had warned me of was inside. His righteousness granted to me would allow me to restore my relationship to Him, but my heart had to be cleansed from the deviltry that idolatrous “Amorite” worship had caused.”

“Before he could really bless my seed, I had to be changed. The Lord got me out of the land of the Amorites, but He had to get the Amorite out of me.”

They began the final ascent. Abraham pointed to the sticks lying about and Isaac began gathering them reluctantly. Abraham gathered stones and started building the altar. Each time Isaac dropped more firewood beneath Abraham’s feet, they exchanged fearful looks with each other.

When all the preparations were finished, they stood apart and wept. Both of them finally accepted the purpose and importance of the journey.

Tearfully Isaac asked. “Where is the sacrifice?” even though he knew the answer.

Abraham looked lovingly and guiltily at his son. “The Lord will provide Himself the sacrifice.”

Isaac nodded his understanding, knowing that he was the miracle from heaven. He turned and retrieved the rope needed to be bound. As Abraham wrapped the binding around his son, forgiveness replaced fear in Isaac’s eyes.

Once Isaac was secured to the altar, Abraham raised the knife that would destroy the unfulfilled promises that he had so carelessly handled.

Then he heard the voice of God. “Now I know Abraham, because you withheld not your son from me.” And of in the distance Abraham saw a ram tangled in the brambles…..

The book of Hebrew’s records that Abraham was the father of the faithful. Even though his journey had its failures and grave mistakes, God, through his love and divine plan, protected Abraham’s integrity, and the scripture never reports of His remembrances of Abraham’s great failures.

Do we often make the same mistake Abraham did? Do we let our impatience dictate our seeking the prize before we really let the Holy Ghost do the miracle?

(This story is strictly fiction with biblical sequence and facts. Not intended for any purpose than reflection and dedication)

Old 05-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Do we often make the same mistake Abraham did? Do we let our impatience dictate our seeking the prize before we really let the Holy Ghost do the miracle?
Certainly and most definitely! But as with Abraham, He has been faithful to begin fulfilling what He has promised!

Excellent post, RP!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Yes, Amen.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV