Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
tulsa 6

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

1> Did the Tulsa 6 have a right to start WPF ?

Did we not see this coming. In the last few years you have seen more UPC churches go Independent because of standards.

The church I was raised in was UPC but the pastor was prepared in case he felt the UPC was going the wrong direction they would pull out.

No one can deny that UPC as a general has been going more and more liberal. Regardless of your personal feeling there are a lot of pastor and ministers that feel over the years the UPC left them. A lot of things are being allowed in some churches that no one would ever believe 10 – 15 years ago.

For most, being an independent church has so many problems not being in an organization. There people has no connection between other churches for large meetings, Camp Meeting, Youth Camp and general fellowship etc.

Did the Tulsa group have the right way to pull out and start another organization / Fellowship. No mater how they would go about it, they would had been criticized. It took a number of men who people highly respected to start the new fellowship. Not just respected in there own area but thru out UPC. They knew that there would be people calling them names and criticized them for what they did. Yet they did it anyway. I can not answer for all the men but the ones I know did not do it personal reasons.

This has been in the planning stages for a very some time and weather or not, NW won an election in California would not have any effect on the decision on starting the WPF.
Since they disagree with the direction UPC is going at what point do they say enough is enough. Which was where the Resolution on TV comes in. An then have enough support of pastors and ministers to do something of this magnitude.

The Tulsa 6 I’m sure was in contact with 100’s maybe 1000’s of pastor before they started WPF. If you feel they should not had contacted the other UPC ministers. Don’t we have freedom of speech within the ranks of UPC if you feel something is wrong.

Remember since this group of pastors are so well know I’m sure most if not all of the contacted pastors and minister were on first name basics.

Bro Haney does not answer to God for me, My pastor will have to. Bro. Haney was voted in to run an organization not run the church I attend. If my pastor did not do what he felt God was directing him to do, he would be derelict of his calling and again he would answer to God for that.

Whether you agree or disagree

I believe the so called Tulsa 6 felt God was directing them this way for some time. Who are we to tell them God was not directing them.

Questions:

2> How should they had done it?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Re: 1> Did the Tulsa 6 have a right to start WPF ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan'D View Post
Did we not see this coming. In the last few years you have seen more UPC churches go Independent because of standards.

The church I was raised in was UPC but the pastor was prepared in case he felt the UPC was going the wrong direction they would pull out.

No one can deny that UPC as a general has been going more and more liberal. Regardless of your personal feeling there are a lot of pastor and ministers that feel over the years the UPC left them. A lot of things are being allowed in some churches that no one would ever believe 10 – 15 years ago.

For most, being an independent church has so many problems not being in an organization. There people has no connection between other churches for large meetings, Camp Meeting, Youth Camp and general fellowship etc.

Did the Tulsa group have the right way to pull out and start another organization / Fellowship. No mater how they would go about it, they would had been criticized. It took a number of men who people highly respected to start the new fellowship. Not just respected in there own area but thru out UPC. They knew that there would be people calling them names and criticized them for what they did. Yet they did it anyway. I can not answer for all the men but the ones I know did not do it personal reasons.

This has been in the planning stages for a very some time and weather or not, NW won an election in California would not have any effect on the decision on starting the WPF.
Since they disagree with the direction UPC is going at what point do they say enough is enough. Which was where the Resolution on TV comes in. An then have enough support of pastors and ministers to do something of this magnitude.

The Tulsa 6 I’m sure was in contact with 100’s maybe 1000’s of pastor before they started WPF. If you feel they should not had contacted the other UPC ministers. Don’t we have freedom of speech within the ranks of UPC if you feel something is wrong.

Remember since this group of pastors are so well know I’m sure most if not all of the contacted pastors and minister were on first name basics.

Bro Haney does not answer to God for me, My pastor will have to. Bro. Haney was voted in to run an organization not run the church I attend. If my pastor did not do what he felt God was directing him to do, he would be derelict of his calling and again he would answer to God for that.

I believe the so called Tulsa 6 felt God was directing them this way for some time. Who are we to tell them God was not directing them.

Questions:

I talked with a man that works on the "Church in a Day" program here in TX. last summer. He told me that he had just helped a pastor build a new church. (he does work for free) That pastor told him then that if the UPC voted in TV he was pulling out.

So this pastor was leaving period.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I talked with a man that works on the "Church in a Day" program here in TX. last summer. He told me that he had just helped a pastor build a new church. (he does work for free) That pastor told him then that if the UPC voted in TV he was pulling out.

So this pastor was leaving period.

Totally off topic but my former pastor helped start church in a day in Tx... awesome program there! We did many of them and just awesome!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
R.D. Foster

1st, new independents have all kinds of places to take their people. When the UPC formed this was not true. Most meetings by individual churches attract a larger group than UPC events.

2nd, The UPC govt is out of date with what God is doing today. The WPF will become more of a facilitator without salaries or authority. It will attract more conservative minded people.

3rd, The UPC will change or a third group will form similar to the WPF govt that will attract more liberal minded people.

4th, The kingdom of God will move forward.

5th, the AMF was the pioneer group that made the mistakes that other groups will be wise not to follow.

6th, before the WPF formed the Tulsa 6 were some of the most respected and ethical people out there. That has not changed.

7th, lost souls no nothing about these things,so, let's have revival.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

I'm having trouble following the original poster's writing...what was the question again?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Answers:
1. Yes, they had a right to do it. It's a free country.
2. Quietly without prosyleting. Honestly, hiding nothing, and good ethics.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Answers:
There not trying to change someones way of thinking or views. WPF want like minded people.

Dan'D
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Answers:
Quietly - If you are going to do something do it. There are a lot of others that will benefit from it.

Dan'D
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:

Questions:

going liberal. Going charismatic....it's funny but in other churches a liberal is someone that supports abortions and ordinations of gays...you got an org that approved the use of TV to reach the lost and suddenly they have gone liberal

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
There not trying to change someones way of thinking or views. WPF want like minded people.

Dan'D
I wonder...was it true they said "You can still be a part of us and remain UPC"?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.