Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: Mexican Food Recipes

I like Mozzarella and string cheese... what's wrong with you? just kidding

I made homemade pizza last night, and had no mozzarella cheese... so I used Monterrey Jack. I made my own homemade pizza sauce too from my canned tomatoes. My family only likes pepperoni pizza, so I used turkey pepperoni for the topping. It was excellent. I made cinnamon rolls for dessert out of the extra pizza dough. There were no leftovers!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Thank you ladies for this wonderful recipe thread! It's so much better than what we have been having on here. You will probably have to post them in several translations though!

Now where are the grandkid threads? Never thought I'd look forward to grandkids and recipe threads. Awe..... bring them on!

Been Thinkin

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post

Enchiladas Suizas (Chicken Enchiladas in Tomatillo-Cream Sauce)

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ lb. tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed (available at melissas.com)
2 serrano chiles, stemmed
1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp. cumin seeds, toasted
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup canola oil
8 6″ corn tortillas
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 ½ cups shredded queso Oaxaca (available at mexgrocer.com) or mozzarella

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Arrange an oven rack 4″ from the broiler and heat broiler to high. Place tomatillos and serranos on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil, turning as needed, until blackened all over, about 10 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes, and then peel and discard skins. Transfer to a blender along with cilantro, sour cream, cumin, garlic, poblanos, and 1 cup boiling water; season with salt and pepper, and purée until smooth. Set enchilada sauce aside.

2. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, grasp tortillas with tongs and fry in oil until pliable, about 1 minute. Transfer tortillas to a work surface. Place chicken in a bowl and toss with 1 cup enchilada sauce until evenly coated. Divide sauced chicken evenly among tortillas, and roll tortillas tightly around chicken. Pour about 1 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, and place tortilla rolls in dish, seam side down, creating one row down the center of the dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over rolls, and cover evenly with cheese.

3. Heat oven to 375°. Bake enchiladas until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted on top, 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with plenty of sauce.
Finally got around to making this recipe. VERY good!

The texture of the Oaxaca cheese is creamier than regular Mozzarella, so I liked that.

There was plenty of sauce and it made 13 enchiladas instead of the 8.

Next time I will add 2 or 3 more Serranos.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

YUM!! Sounds like a bit of work. But then anything worth eating is going to be
Old 08-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh, man, ran across this recipe - ingredients are awesome and fattening! You know this recipe is the bomb! Of course, because it is in Saveur!

I wonder what it would taste like with unrefined Peanut oil instead of Canola or a 50/50 ratio?

Enchiladas Suizas (Chicken Enchiladas in Tomatillo-Cream Sauce)

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ lb. tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed (available at melissas.com)
2 serrano chiles, stemmed
1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp. cumin seeds, toasted
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup canola oil
8 6″ corn tortillas
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 ½ cups shredded queso Oaxaca (available at mexgrocer.com) or mozzarella

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Arrange an oven rack 4″ from the broiler and heat broiler to high. Place tomatillos and serranos on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil, turning as needed, until blackened all over, about 10 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes, and then peel and discard skins. Transfer to a blender along with cilantro, sour cream, cumin, garlic, poblanos, and 1 cup boiling water; season with salt and pepper, and purée until smooth. Set enchilada sauce aside.

2. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, grasp tortillas with tongs and fry in oil until pliable, about 1 minute. Transfer tortillas to a work surface. Place chicken in a bowl and toss with 1 cup enchilada sauce until evenly coated. Divide sauced chicken evenly among tortillas, and roll tortillas tightly around chicken. Pour about 1 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, and place tortilla rolls in dish, seam side down, creating one row down the center of the dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over rolls, and cover evenly with cheese.

3. Heat oven to 375°. Bake enchiladas until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted on top, 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with plenty of sauce.
Now THAT I could make!

The only tequila to be seen is the tequila in my mug sized margarita that I will be enjoying while I eat the food.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
YUM!! Sounds like a bit of work. But then anything worth eating is going to be
I boiled a whole chicken the day before. Mainly, I wanted to stock up on chicken broth. After discarding the skin from the pobalano chilies and tomatillos, it was a piece of cake - I threw everything in my Vitamix and was good to go. I didn't see any point in adding the boiling water, so I skipped that.

I also used unrefined, unprocessed coconut oil for the tortillas. I never buy Canola, corn oil, etc. Wish I had found some peanut oil. That would have been great. They don't sell the unrefined at our local grocery stores. They used to, but then stopped carrying it.

What do you think about this recipe?

Enchilada Rice

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked rice
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell peppers, chopped
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup light sour cream
2 cups green enchilada sauce (about 1 1/2 cans)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 can sliced black olives
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup sliced green onions

http://www.heatovento350.com/2013/07...lada-rice.html
Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Now THAT I could make!

The only tequila to be seen is the tequila in my mug sized margarita that I will be enjoying while I eat the food.
I had to check the recipe to make sure it wasn't doctored.

My son wouldn't eat it as the sauce is green. He said it looked like someone had vomited on the enchiladas. Whatever.

He won't eat anything with onions in it either. So, when he wants to come over and eat, I tell him I added onions.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I had to check the recipe to make sure it wasn't doctored.

My son wouldn't eat it as the sauce is green. He said it looked like someone had vomited on the enchiladas. Whatever.

He won't eat anything with onions in it either. So, when he wants to come over and eat, I tell him I added onions.
I'm a pretty picky eater but did not see one thing in that dish that I would not eat.

I am a recent convert to green chili. One of the best things I've had in years was a breakfast fish in New Mexico where eggs and sausages were served with a huge ladle of green chili sauce on top. Man, was that good!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I'm a pretty picky eater but did not see one thing in that dish that I would not eat.

I am a recent convert to green chili. One of the best things I've had in years was a breakfast fish in New Mexico where eggs and sausages were served with a huge ladle of green chili sauce on top. Man, was that good!
I couldn't do fish for breakfast. And I do not like bread with fruit in it - pineapple upside down or fruit cake.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I couldn't do fish for breakfast. And I do not like bread with fruit in it - pineapple upside down or fruit cake.
We did. On most mornings in Hawaii. Grilled, not fried. Fresh caught just hours before!