Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
I seem to always be a day late and a dollar short!

Everyone resists change, but for some it's quite painful!
Change is good! I think that's Biblical!
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
I love everybody here perhaps we're maybe just wearing our feelings on our sleeves a bit.
Sometimes when we are passioned about something ,perhaps our expressions come out in a way that we don't really mean them to.
I sure nobody here has a motive of harming another brother or sister or harmimg the cause of christ.
Don't let it worry you too much, brother. When you stand up to bullies they usually just go running back to the darkness where they can hide. Just watch.

I'm sure that given the right circumstances I would feel a great deal of love for SISTER Murphy, however she's got to get some love into her own heart and stop trying to attain her salvation through boasting on a bulletin board. Real salvation comes from Jesus Christ - not self justification and human pride.
SISTER Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
Roxanne, do you attend a dead, dull, boring church? Does your church lack forms of entertainment that indulge the flesh? Does your Sunday School curriculum date back to the 1940's?

Unless you have church like Paul did, anything you and your church does is 'the newest thing' to bring about variety in how Jesus is presented, and at one time, when it was really 'new', it wasn't seen in a good light.

I remember when drums weren't looked highly upon in a church setting, but 25 years later, it's not a big deal. I remember when churches that had cameras to tape videos were seen as compromisers and 'going charasmatic'. Today, we are high tech! And it's a good thing!

Ever been to a Christian concert, like the McGruders? Did you go for the entertainment and indulge your flesh, or was your intention to go because Jesus was there? Would you attend such an event if they couldn't sing worth a lick?

Just asking.
Well, since you ask, maybe I can describe the church I am very much a part of.

The Bible says,

Psalm 33:1-3
Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.
Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

II Chronicles 5:13-14
It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;
So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

Ezra 3:10-11
And when the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the LORD, they set the priests in their apparel with trumpets, and the Levites the sons of Asaph with cymbals, to praise the LORD, after the ordinance of David king of Israel.
And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the LORD; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid.

Psalm 27:6
And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.

Psalm 47:6-7
Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises.
For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.

Psalm 98:4
Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

Psalm 144:9
I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.

Psalm 150
Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Now, I see all of these types and styles of worship take place in our services.

And, one other thing: you have attempted to compare a choir with this new form of choreographed dance, this 'step dance'. I can give you scripture for choir practice (David set up the courses of the sons of Asaph to be prepared to sing and praise God, morning and evening, before the sacrifices were made). I cannot, however, find any reference to any practiced or choreographed dancing. Can you?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 PM
SISTER Murphy

Quote:
Roxanne, it wasn't the movies and entertainment that did it, it was lack of teaching about who Jesus is and developing a personal relationship. This must be why you see things as you do, but that's not the case with all. It's sad when people replace Jesus instead of include Him in the activities.
Yes, it is sad when people replace Jesus with other things. However, there are some things in which Jesus will not be included. (See II Corinthians 6:14-18).
Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 PM
SISTER Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
My kids were involved in a youth group that at one time had almost 100 kids involved. Today, of all those kids who were under the umbrella of that ministry there are only 4 - maybe 6 serving God. They never had movies or any worldly entertainment. It was pretty exciting at times any way - but even with the very "conservative" approach all those apostolic kids were lost to our movement.

Many have gone on to become successful in terms of a secular career. Most have fallen into some sort of despair or hurtful circumstance. Almost none of them ever darken the doorway of any type of church. They are completely burned out with "religion" - Apostolic religion in particular. And they were in the midst of all of the "conservative" UPC camps, revivals and etc.
Which tells me that somewhere, somehow, those kids didn't develop a personal relationship with Jesus. I know of some very strict, very conservative churches who have lost youth because the focus was on following the rules, without learning how to know Jesus. This is just as wrong as the liberal church that lets worldly things in its doors in an attempt to keep the kids entertained, and the results are the same: lost souls.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 PM
SISTER Murphy

Quote:
Why are you bringing that into the discussion when it's been about something entirely different? Do you believe it's possible to be entertained while worshipping God at the same time?
No, I don't. Entertainment means the focus is on me. Worship means the focus is on Jesus.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Sister Murphy was the first person to ever call me a peacemaker on a forum.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Not riding the train

[YT="I Want it all back"]QW1QN0S8koU[/YT]

I don't think this is just entertainment. I love this!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISTER Murphy View Post
Well, since you ask, maybe I can describe the church I am very much a part of.

The Bible says,

Psalm 33:1-3
Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.
Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

II Chronicles 5:13-14
It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;
So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

Ezra 3:10-11
And when the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the LORD, they set the priests in their apparel with trumpets, and the Levites the sons of Asaph with cymbals, to praise the LORD, after the ordinance of David king of Israel.
And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the LORD; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid.

Psalm 27:6
And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.

Psalm 47:6-7
Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises.
For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.

Psalm 98:4
Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

Psalm 144:9
I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.

Psalm 150
Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Now, I see all of these types and styles of worship take place in our services.

And, one other thing: you have attempted to compare a choir with this new form of choreographed dance, this 'step dance'. I can give you scripture for choir practice (David set up the courses of the sons of Asaph to be prepared to sing and praise God, morning and evening, before the sacrifices were made). I cannot, however, find any reference to any practiced or choreographed dancing. Can you?
I don't find scripture for running the aisles either, but do we forbid those people from worshipping God that way? Of course not.

I don't see practiced or choreographed dancing spoken against in scripture either. And if you saw all the jumping at Youth Congress taking place, you would see they were all jumping up and down together, in time to the music.

Music is a big part of worship to God. His very creations are full of choreography. Waves crash in perfect timing, not whenever and wherever. The wind doesn't blow in all directions at once. Clouds and storms don't pop up at will, but everything comes together as it should.

Why do we think we should be different? God gave us arms and legs for more than to eat with and walk with. Do we really want to bother with specifics in regard to how someone worships God with their arms and legs? Is waving arms back and forth ok but clapping and slapping to a beat isn't? Do we really want to go the 'if it isn't in the Bible, it's not right' route? I don't think that would be wise.

And I wasn't comparing the McGruders singing to a stepping routine, but, just like you in your post about drugs and alcohol, it was comparing the entertainment factor of both events.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISTER Murphy View Post
Yes, it is sad when people replace Jesus with other things. However, there are some things in which Jesus will not be included. (See II Corinthians 6:14-18).
I don't believe the activities mentioned in this thread have anything to do with that scripture you posted, but I agree with your post in general.