Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Don't ask.

Re: Hard Hitting Praise Tonight Misty Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiding Now View Post
Not the least bit impressed that this is God.
Me neither.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Just finished Part 1. Awesome! Amen!

What you call "chanting" I call worshipping. You call this channeling? Channeling what? The glory of God!

Many are uncomfortable about praising the Lord over and over forever. Not me.

Neither are the beings in Heaven that are the closest to YHWH. Watch what they are doing.

Rev. 4:8

8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

They are saying (you would call chanting) Holy is the Lord God Almighty! Over and over and over. Never resting. Just praise over and over and over. Saying the same thing day and night.

Apparently God likes it!

In this song Misty presents not just the mild mannered God most have come accustomed to. But in contrast a God of terrifying holiness and judgment!

I relate to the message of this video quite well. My heart also burns with the passion for Jesus Christ.

Yes this video embodies what I like about IHOP.
Singing "Listen to the rhythm, the rhythm of heaven" is NOT worship. There's nothing worshipful about those lyrics.

You can't equate "Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty," with "Listen to the rhythm, the rhythm of heaven." Get real. I know you love Misty's dreads and hippyness, but c'mon. The song is bizarre and not the least bit worshipful.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

Quote:
Did you watch the video of Misty talking about discipleship?
Yes.

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
My review of part 2.

My Jesus PLEASE give us a Oneness Pentecostal Church like this!
"I'm a Pentecostal" is a better song than this trash, and I HATE "I'm a Pentecostal." If this is the kind of OP church you want, God help.

Quote:
Friend if THAT is what you call "chanting" and a "trance" then I have been in one since 1974! Loving Jesus with deep heart felt adoration. Raising my hands in awe of his majesty.

As Misty sang, He is bridegroom, king, and judge!

God likes it when thousands of young people raise their hands and worship and adore him in what YOU call "repetitive chanting".
It is chanting. It's the textbook definition of chanting. The song has absolutely no theological or biblical foundation. "Listen to the rhythm, the rhythm of heaven."

They weren't worshiping God. They were swaying, eyes closed, nodding to the beat of the song. There was no worship going on. If that's what you consider worship, I'm sorry, but it's not.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Hmm. Well, it's definitely NOT the style of music I enjoy. I admit to being bemused by the whole "prophetic" singing thing. I know of another worship leader who writes fresh music for every service, and sometimes writes lyrics on the fly, allegedly led by the Spirit. I haven't personally heard any of his stuff, either, so I can't comment on its validity or know whether it's similar to Misty Edwards.

That said, I'd have to know a lot more than simply watching those videos to judge this as "baal worship." There's a lot of room for figurative language in poetry and song lyrics, and saying "I saw the Lord" may be no different than Isaiah saying "In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord high and lifted up...." As you well know, in a dream, you can have an impression of seeing someone or something without even seeing a physical representation. She didn't say she actually saw God *in the flesh* (TIC); she said she had a dream and saw Him in her dream. That's quite a bit different.
A closer look at Isa 6 shows there was nothing written about him seeing the form or shape of God. Some commentaries say the lack of written features suggest he didn't actually see the form of God, but rather the glory of God. In a verse following, he writes about the house being filled with smoke.

Misty does claim more than what Isaiah did. She does give physical attributes. "He was running to the rhythm of this song," had "fire in His eyes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
As for repetitive lyrics...do you know how many choir songs have repetitive lyrics and music patterns and CHANTS (otherwise known as "vamps")????? LOL!!!!
I'm well aware of Gospel choir songs which are repetitive. I'm not a fan of those either. I would disagree that the vamps of the choir songs I've heard at least, are similar to the chants in this video.

I've been singing in church since I was 5 years old. I've recorded live and in studio, and have been involved as a worship leader for over 2 decades. I understand the effects of music, lyrics, patterns, beats. There is nothing Godly in that song.

I feel the same way about "shout" music -- where the musicians have a mini jam session and everyone starts dancing, jumping and running around. That's not worship either.

The song, "Leap for Joy" which was popular years ago..."If you're not ashamed to praise the Lord, let me see you .... clap, stomp, wave, leap..." It's the Richard Simmons Pentecostal workout song. And one more....and one more...

Not worship.

Last edited by n david; 01-07-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 AM
On the road less traveled

Music is a tool to evoke an emotional response in our souls. I can listen to my son's band with their jazz music, and my toes will get to tapping. The same with any other genre of music... it elicits a response from us, and depending on our psyche or makeup, different styles of music appeal to us. When our emotions are touched by music, sometimes we think we can "feel God" as our emotions are touched.

I think this is where the record needs to get set straight. Just because music evokes an emotional response in our hearts, and even if the song is about Jesus... it doesn't mean that Jesus has touched us with his presence, but merely that our heart has responded to the emotional level that music touches us on.

I would further like to say, that true worship and praise does not really need music. In fact, it has been the quiet times alone by myself that in adoration and worship of the Lord, in complete abandonment to Him, that I have felt that I have offered to Him the most sincere worship and praise out of my heart, not responding to a rhythm, a beat, or an emotional experience, but just worship, adoration and praise to Him alone.

I believe that if we truly want to worship, praise and adore our God, we must first rid ourselves of all sins and weights in our lives, in repentance, and after moving the weights and hindrances out of the way, as we submit our spirit to the Lord, and offer ourselves to Him with all we have, and it is then that we can enter into the most genuine worship experience of all, where our flesh has been set aside, and our spirit can enter into communion with the Lord, and we can experience all He has for us.

Don't get me wrong. There are times that I pray with music, and there are times that music and singing serve to usher in the presence of the Lord. But the presence of the Lord cannot be orchestrated, drummed up, or wildly produced, much as talented muscians and singers may try. Yes, there may be an emotional experience, but is true worship taking place... most likely not. It is when all flesh has been set aside, and when the will has been set aside and where you can worship the Lord freely in truth and in spirit without the hindrance of flesh, now that is true worship.

If you are responding to a drum beat, and a talented musician/singer, and receive an emotional experience because the lyrics are about God, and you call that worship, I would beg to differ, and say that most likely you have had an exhilarating emotional experience, but you have not really entered into the very heavenly beautiful place of worship. There is a difference.

Remember that all music evokes an emotional response, but be careful in attributing that emotional response to true worship of the Lord.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Music is a tool to evoke an emotional response in our souls. I can listen to my son's band with their jazz music, and my toes will get to tapping. The same with any other genre of music... it elicits a response from us, and depending on our psyche or makeup, different styles of music appeal to us. When our emotions are touched by music, sometimes we think we can "feel God" as our emotions are touched.

I think this is where the record needs to get set straight. Just because music evokes an emotional response in our hearts, and even if the song is about Jesus... it doesn't mean that Jesus has touched us with his presence, but merely that our heart has responded to the emotional level that music touches us on.

I would further like to say, that true worship and praise does not really need music. In fact, it has been the quiet times alone by myself that in adoration and worship of the Lord, in complete abandonment to Him, that I have felt that I have offered to Him the most sincere worship and praise out of my heart, not responding to a rhythm, a beat, or an emotional experience, but just worship, adoration and praise to Him alone.

I believe that if we truly want to worship, praise and adore our God, we must first rid ourselves of all sins and weights in our lives, in repentance, and after moving the weights and hindrances out of the way, as we submit our spirit to the Lord, and offer ourselves to Him with all we have, and it is then that we can enter into the most genuine worship experience of all, where our flesh has been set aside, and our spirit can enter into communion with the Lord, and we can experience all He has for us.

Don't get me wrong. There are times that I pray with music, and there are times that music and singing serve to usher in the presence of the Lord. But the presence of the Lord cannot be orchestrated, drummed up, or wildly produced, much as talented musicians and singers may try. Yes, there may be an emotional experience, but is true worship taking place... most likely not. It is when all flesh has been set aside, and when the will has been set aside and where you can worship the Lord freely in truth and in spirit without the hindrance of flesh, now that is true worship.

If you are responding to a drum beat, and a talented musician/singer, and receive an emotional experience because the lyrics are about God, and you call that worship, I would beg to differ, and say that most likely you have had an exhilarating emotional experience, but you have not really entered into the very heavenly beautiful place of worship. There is a difference.

Remember that all music evokes an emotional response, but be careful in attributing that emotional response to true worship of the Lord.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Don't ask.

Wow. I can't imagine he horror of thinking you are worshiping Jesus, but you're actually not!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Don't ask.

So, like, Jesus is watching this supposed worship, and thinking "Oh, man, they're at it again. Trying to worship me, and doing it all wrong."

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Don't ask.

At least it's "hard-hitting".

OK, sorry, I'll leave you guys alone to, uh, discuss this very important topic.

Why am I not surprised?