Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 PM

**Herald Begins Apostolic Identity Campaign **

Pentecostal Herald: The Importance of Teaching Apostolic Truth
by Simeon Young Sr.

Author and syndicated columnist Colleen Carroll Campbell wrote, “American ideals can be lost if they’re not taught. … ‘America is facing an identity crisis’ in which younger Americans know too little about our history and founding ideals. … Belief in American identity is particularly weak among young Americans. … Our democracy’s survival depends on each new crop of citizens understanding and assimilating our commitment to freedom, equality and the rule of law. … After more than two centuries of success, it’s easy to think that our American experiment runs on auto-pilot” (St. Louis Post Dispatch, June 19, 2008).

As important as it is to heed Campbell’s warning and advice, it pales in comparison to the tragedy of even one generation failing to teach apostolic truth to the next generation. Someone wisely said, “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.” While we know that the church Jesus built will never become extinct, we must not make the mistake of thinking that the body of apostolic truth found in the New Testament “runs on auto-pilot.” Jesus built His church but He placed the responsibility of perpetuating apostolic truth squarely and firmly in the hands of His apostles and by extension to all His followers.

The theme of this issue of the Pentecostal Herald is “Education.” The articles in this issue demonstrate the importance of Christian schools run by churches, the value of home schooling by dedicated parents, the strengths and weaknesses of on-line distance learning, the advantages and pitfalls of secular college, and the reasons for getting an education at a UPC Bible college. The value of education, from the earliest levels of grade school to the highest levels of academia, is articulated with clarity in these timely articles.

James Littles, in his article titled “Preserving Our Faith Through Education,” says, “Transformative education is vital for preserving the apostolic faith today.”

David Norris writes, “Let me offer three simple suggestions to high schoolers who are getting ready to go to secular college: first, know who you are in God. … Second, remember that the purpose of going on a college campus is not to change the teachers; it is to get your education. … Third, it is easier to live victoriously for God in a community with godly support. If you have a strong and spiritual support system at your local church, do not be quick to leave it.”

Anthony Braswell says, “A true ‘Christ in Eeducation’ experience places the emphasis on our Creator and His Ccreation in the educational process and combines that with a distinct Christian environment, modeling what is taught. This education can take place inat the local church, a Christian school, a home school, or a godly home.”

Steve Ryerson, in his article “Home School Discipleship,” says, “Home educators are showing that the home can be a great place to use the God-given potential of the family to train young people to follow the leading of the Spirit in bringing the gospel to this world.”

Ron Wofford says, “The Bible college experience is all about atmosphere. It is the creation of a place where understanding of God, self, fellowman, and worldview can all be accomplished. Bible college creates an environment that allows one to dig deep into the rich resources of the Word of God and to experience spiritual happenings in an atmosphere that is conducive to growth in those areas. This type of education accomplishes so much more than just a classroom experience that imparts head knowledge only. It challenges the student to get beyond the mere facts of who God is and to explore the whys, the ways, and the wonders of God.”

The youth of the apostolic movement must not lose their apostolic identity because we failed to teach them the truths that have defined God’s people since the Day of Pentecost.

To paraphrase Campbell: Our survival as an apostolic movement depends on each new crop of apostolics understanding and assimilating our commitment to the Apostles’ doctrine.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Re: Herald: Begins Apostolic Identity Campaign

DA where do you get all this info from?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Another excerpt from the James Littles article in the Herald:

Quote:

Eight in ten Americans, including 68 percent of evangelicals, believe that more than one faith can be a path to salvation, which is most likely not what they were taught in Sunday school. One out of five respondents said he had switched religions as an adult. It is an age of great “depth of feeling” as people embark on their own personal “spiritual journey.” Popular New Age philosophies are influencing our culture’s leanings toward the spiritual. These quasi-religious ideas are replete with angels, astrological guidance, and pseudo-spirituality. This spiritual contagion for many has removed the apprehension of believing in modern day miracles. The receptivity of the age has birthed the emergence of a multiplicity of many hybrids and blends of Pentecostal/Charismatic churches. Collectively, these churches have done a thorough job of educating the Christian world about the work of the Holy Spirit. Churches that encourage spirited worship and the expectation of the miraculous are growing, while the staid churches are dying. But, in spite of this surge of growth, we are failing to teach people the fundamentals of the Christian faith. This lackluster emphasis on teaching and educating our constituents is pervasive and goes across denominational lines. A piece of this religious cultural shift is a diminished emphasis on Sunday school and Bible study. We have moved beyond the “age of reason” to the age of “feeling.” Many churches are putting much of their efforts into contemporary methods that major on fun, entertainment, socially interactive projects, and loads of froth and pizzazz. The “Christianity-lite” approach is appealing to the masses because it appeals to the sensual, omits duty and commitment, and promises answers toward personal fulfillment.

What happened to good old, consistent, informative teaching? I know education is not everything, but it is something! Education plays a significant role in enriching a person’s life and making himthem a better personople. Some think education is dangerous, but ignorance has caused far more problems for humanity than education. Getting a good education requires discipline, hard work, and can take a hit on the pocketbook. That may be the reason some are so critical of achieving it. Perhaps it is true—we can be educated beyond our intelligence! Some learning institutions have a disproportionate number of eggheads. The wrong kinds of education can be destructive. An overemphasis on education can be delusional. Nevertheless, remaining ignorant makes us vulnerable to all kinds of deception and will not enhance our witness or fortify our strength of resolve. The secular world tries to stereotype religious people as ignorant. We do not want to provide examples of their unfair analysis.

A few years ago a friend told me about his marvelous conversion experience. It had transformed his life! He said, “I know nothing about the Bible, but I have an experience!” I encouraged him to study and try to correct his vulnerability. He confidently assured me that was not necessary. His conversion was intense and life changing. He felt that was enough! I am sad to say, he is not serving God today! His lack of understanding left him vulnerable to failure, and it was ultimately his downfall. It is sad that so many depend upon experience alone to anchor their faith. We must have the Word of God salted away in our hearts like hard rock! We cannot live an overcoming life on experience alone. We must have reasons for our faith. We must be able to defend what we believe in ways that are persuasive and convincing to the unbeliever. We must be able to stand against the inevitable trials and temptations when the euphoria is gone.
Can we say "EMERGENT PARANOIA" has now set in?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
My Family!

Re: **Herald Begins Apostolic Identity Campaign **

The Pentecostal Herald is a publication from UPCI.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Ron Wofford says,
Quote:
“The Bible college experience is all about atmosphere. It is the creation of a place where understanding of God, self, fellowman, and worldview can all be accomplished. Bible college creates an environment that allows one to dig deep into the rich resources of the Word of God and to experience spiritual happenings in an atmosphere that is conducive to growth in those areas. This type of education accomplishes so much more than just a classroom experience that imparts head knowledge only. It challenges the student to get beyond the mere facts of who God is and to explore the whys, the ways, and the wonders of God.”
And it's this environment that has spawned the leaders and the voices of the "emerging" "relevant" movement ....

And of course we know that Bridal Colleges numbers are down ...

Get accredited and then maybe folks will consider it ....
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Well, I think it is probably to late to turn it around.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Another excerpt from the James Littles article in the Herald:

Can we say "EMERGENT PARANOIA" has now set in?
This is a strange comment coming from you, Dan, an educator. Do you disagree with his assessment that contemporary methods that lack teaching are simply froth and pizzazz? You really think he sounds paranoid? I'm just not seeing what you are. It looks to me like you're picking up buzz words and trying to fit them into this guys mouth. I don't think he is saying what you think he is saying.

Quote:
This lackluster emphasis on teaching and educating our constituents is pervasive and goes across denominational lines. A piece of this religious cultural shift is a diminished emphasis on Sunday school and Bible study. We have moved beyond the “age of reason” to the age of “feeling.” Many churches are putting much of their efforts into contemporary methods that major on fun, entertainment, socially interactive projects, and loads of froth and pizzazz. The “Christianity-lite” approach is appealing to the masses because it appeals to the sensual, omits duty and commitment, and promises answers toward personal fulfillment.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

And of course we know that Bridal Colleges numbers are down ...
What does that have to do with anything?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
This is a strange comment coming from you, Dan, an educator. Do you disagree with his assessment that contemporary methods that lack teaching are simply froth and pizzazz? You really think he sounds paranoid? I'm just not seeing what you are.
The notion that somehow some of the relevant churches are frothy and just pizzazz is OBVIOUSLY targeting them as some how shallow and no-frills ... this is FAR from the truth ...

many of these churches are teaching-centered ... sans the 3-4 running and hollering, emotional "experience" centered churches that are pervasive in our movement ...

Look at the church sites of a lot of the churches that are being targeted ... you'll find them stacked with teaching series.

Sure you can grab some coffee and a doughnut during their sessions but let's be real ... many of these churches are centers of reasoned learning ... and many of their leaders are highly educated ... and schooled in hermeneutical ethic.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The notion that somehow some of the relevant churches are frothy and pizzazz is OBVIOUSLY targeting them as some how shallow and no-frills ... this is FAR from the truth ...

many of these churches are teaching-centered ... sans the 3-4 running and hollering, emotional "experience" centered churches that are pervasive in our movement ...

Look at the church sites of a lot of the churches that are being targeted ... you'll find them stacked with teaching series.

Sure you can grab some coffee and a doughnut during their sessions but let's be real ... many of these churches are centers of reasoned learning ... and many of their leaders are highly educated ... and schooled in hermeneutical ethic.
If these churches are stacked with teaching series and the leaders are highly educated then I don't believe this article is addressing them. But it is definitely trying to encourage and sustain an Apostolic identity in the next generation with a drive at education and experience not experience alone.