Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I wonder though about the health benefits of the food you are consuming. What do you know about that?

Because it is freeze dried, it tastes like eating fresh, it is fresh. So it is healthy eating...the entrees of course are just that so you would want to read your labels and they would all vary. The process is like freezing, but different in that it takes the moisture from the food, and when you add water and reconstitute it is like eating fresh food.

The entrees are like ...Mac and cheese for example...you add boiling hot water let it set for 10 min or so and eat! Have a salad and a veggie and you have a meal...there are a few we have found are fun to combine. Like chicken with rice and then add some of the chicken stew...yummy!

The fresh fruit you can take from the can and pop it in your mouth or again reconstitute it....its better than dehydrated food, tastes a lot better.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
On the road less traveled

I've heard that freeze-dried foods contain way more nutritious value than canned. However, water is always an issue. You need lots of water for the freeze-dried foods. If you cannot store or have access to lots of water, canning is better. If you believe you have a great water source, then freeze dried is a great option.

But, freeze dried foods do cost a lot more than canned.

Here is an article describing the pros and cons. The author believes in storing both canned and freeze-dried.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/...-freeze-dried/
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

We have several buckets of freeze dried stuff already and most of it is not that bad. In fact, some is pretty good and I would imagine great if you were really hungry. Although I have a LOT of salt stored up that is one thing you do not need to add to any of these packets as they all tend to be extremely salty. I also have 8 (or 9) bottle of cheap vodka in the same closet. MANY uses.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I've heard that freeze-dried foods contain way more nutritious value than canned. However, water is always an issue. You need lots of water for the freeze-dried foods. If you cannot store or have access to lots of water, canning is better. If you believe you have a great water source, then freeze dried is a great option.

But, freeze dried foods do cost a lot more than canned.

Here is an article describing the pros and cons. The author believes in storing both canned and freeze-dried.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/...-freeze-dried/
We do have both, but canned food does have a limited shelf life. Yes water can be the problem, but we have a well, and we have stored some water and we do have a creek near by and a river not that far away...we can also catch rain water, to be sure we have clean water we bought a Berkey water filter, they come in various sizes depending on your family size and all. We can use rain water, catch water as it drains off the roof...run it through our Berkey and its completely safe to drink!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
We have several buckets of freeze dried stuff already and most of it is not that bad. In fact, some is pretty good and I would imagine great if you were really hungry. Although I have a LOT of salt stored up that is one thing you do not need to add to any of these packets as they all tend to be extremely salty. I also have 8 (or 9) bottle of cheap vodka in the same closet. MANY uses.
Check out Costco online they have a lot of emergency stuff and on some of it is free shipping...

That stuff is good for bartering, and many uses as you say, we have several bottles of various kinds we inherited
Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
That stuff is good for bartering, and many uses as you say, we have several bottles of various kinds we inherited
The only use the cheap stuff doesn't have for me personally, is drinking. I get the good, or at least better, stuff for that.

If cigarettes had a better shelf life I would even buy several cartons. I've never smoked in my life (other than a few fine cigars) but can see a huge advantage when it comes to bartering.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
The only use the cheap stuff doesn't have for me personally, is drinking. I get the good, or at least better, stuff for that.

If cigarettes had a better shelf life I would even buy several cartons. I've never smoked in my life (other than a few fine cigars) but can see a huge advantage when it comes to bartering.

Cigarettes, I have thought about that, and I figure if a smoker is desperate they won't care how old there are...All we have is the good stuff, we really did inherit it...from my mom! So we are well stocked with an assortment of flavors and we have wine....
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
I don't think I will be eating them....oh mercy! That is just gross, but I am glad its just a prank! I can't imagine. Funny though
Goldfish are gross to our neat culture, but I recall eating some cheap canned sardines in the 80s, and they were gross per evidence, not just culture. Toward the bottom of the can-bed, I took a volunteer sardine apart, and it appeared to have most guts still inside. The heads were missing, so I had assumed them "clean." Anyhow, the good book says "Salt covereth a multitude of sins," or something like that.

Deeply JN Apostolic: 1978-1999.
Happily agnostic/atheist 2011 to present.

Good news! The gospel boils down to, "Love me
or I will destroy you." --A god.

Last edited by The Mrs; 04-04-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBee View Post

Goldfish are gross to our neat culture, but I recall eating some cheap canned sardines in the 80s, and they were gross per evidence, not just culture. Toward the bottom of the can-bed, I took a volunteer sardine apart, and it appeared to have most guts still inside. The heads were missing, so I had assumed them "clean." Anyhow, the good book says "Salt covereth a multitude of sins," or something like that.
I don't plan on eating goldfish, but sardines I might if I was hungry! I ate them when I was a kid and liked them, maybe the word here is "Cheap"...LOL! I don't know...

Last edited by The Mrs; 04-04-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

Spam.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?