Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

A hymnal came in the mail today. It is from 1934. Pentecostal Harmonies was compiled by A.D. Gurley and W. E. Kidson.

L.R. Ooten has a song in it called "To Be Like Him"

Joe Reznicsek has a song "God Always Helps"

I will check other names in it later this weekend for other Oneness Pentecostal hymns and hymn writers.

No Haywood songs are listed.

I have 2 interviews I need to do on Monday.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

A hymnal came in the mail today. It is from 1934. Pentecostal Harmonies was compiled by A.D. Gurley and W. E. Kidson.

L.R. Ooten has a song in it called "To Be Like Him"

Joe Reznicsek has a song "God Always Helps"

I will check other names in it later this weekend for other Oneness Pentecostal hymns and hymn writers.

No Haywood songs are listed.

I have 2 interviews I need to do on Monday.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I just wrapped up a phone interview with a guy who at the age of 92, had great hearing and a clear mind.

His grand parents were at Azusa street, knew Harry Morse, and he remembered the names of some of Harry's students. He also provided some info about the beginning of the oneness church in Turlock.

He did not have any pictures or a paper trail, but he knew a relative who might.

I will send him a paper copy of the history of his local church in Stockton that Lydia Swinton pastored.

He did say the oneness church in Stockton split over the social purity doctrine. Very interesting. Something I did not know.

Now to find that relative of his...….
Old 04-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

I just wrapped up a phone interview with a guy who at the age of 92, had great hearing and a clear mind.

His grand parents were at Azusa street, knew Harry Morse, and he remembered the names of some of Harry's students. He also provided some info about the beginning of the oneness church in Turlock.

He did not have any pictures or a paper trail, but he knew a relative who might.

I will send him a paper copy of the history of his local church in Stockton that Lydia Swinton pastored.

He did say the oneness church in Stockton split over the social purity doctrine. Very interesting. Something I did not know.

Now to find that relative of his...….
Old 04-29-2020, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Harry Morse, Frank Ewart, Peter Berg and Frank Bartleman were at the Azusa Street revival.

Who else was there ? Andrew Urshan was not. What other Oneness Pentecostals visited the Apostolic Faith Mission on Azusa Street during the outpouring of the Holy Spirit ?
Old 06-13-2020, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

Charles Parham did not believe in the immortality of the soul and held to the annihilation of the wicked.

Harry Morse also believed in the annihilation of the wicked.

I wonder if Parham influenced Morse ?
Old 06-13-2020, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

Charles Parham did not believe in the immortality of the soul and held to the annihilation of the wicked.

Harry Morse also believed in the annihilation of the wicked.

I wonder if Parham influenced Morse ?
Old 06-15-2020, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Family relations of a student of Harry Morse thought they had old class notes, but they could not find them.

Nuts.

Harry Morse believed in the annihilation of the wicked. So did Charles Parham. I am currently exploring if they corresponded. Morse was not at Azusa Street when Parham was there.

But when Parham was there, he worked with a group called the Volunteers of America to provide free or low cost meals to the poor. Prior to the Peniel Mission, Harry Morse was part of the Volunteers of America.

The only other connection is Henry G Tuthill was a leader in the AFM with Parham. In 1909, he had a 2 week revival in San Francisco. Not sure if he was invited there by William Manley, or if he knew Harry Morse.

So, Henry Tuthill is a person of interest. Hopefully, I will find out how long he was connected with the AFM. US census records never mentions him being a minister. Nor do his draft records.

Exploring the relationship between Morse, Tuthill and Parham is my current focus.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

J.H. Miller was a student of Harry Morse, I think. He had used his address for his 1919 PAW ministerial form.

So he was either a student, or a minister at the Big Downtown Mission in 1919.

He is not listed in the Oakland phone directory for 1919. I cannot find him in the 1920 US census. He is not in my copy of the 1952 UPC ministerial directory.

It is late now, I will find him another day.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

A book, Touched by the Fire (Wayne Warner) came in the post today. It is a collection of testimonies of early Pentecostals. It turns out no one I am interested in is mentioned.

A biography of William Branham was ordered today. In the edition ordered, there are several pages of pictures. I hope to find a picture of him with Harry Morse.

I do not know much about William Branham, so it will be interesting to see who he was.