Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Fonix

Jim Jones. Any Survivors

I dont know what got me to thinking about this but I was wondering if there are any children or survivors of the Jim Jones Massacre some 30 yrs ago if I remember right.

What makes a man go to such extremes? I had heard he was oneness at one time. I was wondering of anyone here on this forum personally knew him and what led to his great downfall?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 AM

First Google result
Old 03-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Sister Alvear

I think he was like most cult leaders...he thought himself as jesus in the flesh to his members...they blindly at first followed him when some woke up to what was really happening it was too late as it often is...and the sad part about there are "pastors' that seem to teach their people the same story...

"We are the only ones...we have some special revelation that no one else has..."
Old 03-10-2007, 09:39 AM
hammondb3klingon1

Some pastors get a God complex and the people are too scared to leave. This is such a horrible thing to do to people, I am sure God has a special place in HELL for these people
Old 03-10-2007, 10:29 AM
samp

Yes, there were some survivors from the mass suicide. Jim Jones' son is the best known. There were also a couple of people who hid during the suicide, and survived. (actually, it's sort of a misnomer that it was a suicide. Many of them were forced to drink the kool-aide)
Old 03-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonix View Post
I dont know what got me to thinking about this but I was wondering if there are any children or survivors of the Jim Jones Massacre some 30 yrs ago if I remember right.

What makes a man go to such extremes? I had heard he was oneness at one time. I was wondering of anyone here on this forum personally knew him and what led to his great downfall?
I didn't know him, but knew of him...

At the time it happened, Bishop Nathaniel Wilson was my pastor and one Sunday night preached 'Why Guyana?!'

He told of JJ's UPCI affiliation and of Bro. Urshan and some Indiana elders going to see him.

JJ told Bro. Urshan, "You have limited yourself to JUST the teachings of the Bible...I choose to follow the Bible, but also Father Divine..."

Father D taught that he was god and no one beside him was worthy to be with someone's wife...OR husband...!!
Old 03-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Preacher

know them that labor among you....

The meeting was in summer of 1978 under a tent with about 50 people attending in a small Louisiana town of Oberlin. During the preaching, Elder Ray Strange abruptly stopped....hesitated for a few moments...then prophesied of a man who was the pastor of an organization that was going to commit suicide along with his congregation. This came to pass a few months later...
Old 03-10-2007, 11:30 AM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonix View Post

I know very much about Jim Jones. He came through Bristol, Conn when I was a small child in 1968. My Dad was pastoring a UPCI church. In 1960 my dad was pastor of a Assembly of God Church in Bristol.

He had the occasion of meeting Jim Jones at a service at a church in the area.

Jim Jones was never Oneness. His only association with a Pentecostal church is listed within this account.

Who knows what the story might have been if the ministers and the board of this church might have taken him under their arms of protection.

In September of 1954, Jones was invited to preach at the Laurel Street Tabernacle in Indianapolis, Indiana, an Assemblies of God church within the Pentecostal tradition (Hall 1987: 42). Although Jones’ charismatic style drew new members to the church, the administrative board felt threatened by the popular preacher’s inclusion of African Americans in his message and in his service. Faced with the choice of changing his message or leaving the church, Jones decided to form a new church with several members from the Tabernacle who appreciated his commitment to social justice for poor and working class people of all races. On 4 April 1955, the small group incorporated the Wings of Deliverance; a year later, they re-incorporated and renamed their organization Peoples Temple (Hall 1987: 43).

I could share so much about the last day of Jim Jones. I will see if I can gather that info together. There is a link where you can read the transcript.

You can also hear the audio as he prepares to die.

He taped everything. His thought was in keeping his words alive he was then a god...
Old 03-10-2007, 11:36 AM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
I didn't know him, but knew of him...

At the time it happened, Bishop Nathaniel Wilson was my pastor and one Sunday night preached 'Why Guyana?!'

He told of JJ's UPCI affiliation and of Bro. Urshan and some Indiana elders going to see him.

JJ told Bro. Urshan, "You have limited yourself to JUST the teachings of the Bible...I choose to follow the Bible, but also Father Divine..."

Father D taught that he was god and no one beside him was worthy to be with someone's wife...OR husband...!!
I have never heard of this affiliation or connection to the UPCI. I have done a lot of research on JJ.

I have heard of his affiliation with Father Divine.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:41 AM

The content on the link that BOOM posted was very good - and troublesome.

1. No accountability
2. He chose his legacy (ministry) above family
3. Totalitarian
4. Seclusionist
5. Broke down the Divine order for the family within his followers
6. Manipulative

Jim Jones was similar to other charismatic leaders of that age in that he preached social justice, equality, and giving that emaciatied the giver's finances.

He was different in that he wasn't a bible fundamentalist. He demanded followers adhere to extrabiblical commandments.

Be careful what leadeship you place yourself under.