Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Pentecostals Vs. Charismatics

Could someone supply me with a list of similarities and differences?
"Did God intend to treat the early church different than the latter church? Did He have two programs for the church? Are people being saved in a different way today than they were in the Bible? Are there two forms of Christianity: first-century, and every century after that? No." - Jason Dulle
Old 06-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Re: Pentecostals Vs. Charismatics

Well, for one thing they're both spelled slightly different.

Other then that, I can't think of anything really.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

It all depends. It used to be Pentecostals were stronger on holiness. Their foundation teachings are pretty much the same. Pentecostals used to believe in tarrying for the Holy Spirit while most Charismatics believed in receiving by faith.

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 06-22-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I was being someone sarcastic (surprise surprise) in my first post but the AoG consider themselves Pentecostal.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Depends on who is defining it. In the churches I grew up in, Pentecostals believed in tongues, and had the outward standards.... Charismatics believed in tongues, without the outward standards.

But others would define it differently.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Why?

BT

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Many Charismatics do not believe tongues is the only sign one has received the indwelling Holy Spirit, while still accepting tongues as an active gift for the church today...

...but the same can now be said for many Pentecostals - Oneness and Trinitarian.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Pentecostal music tends to be either hymns, country or gospel. At least in my experience. The Charismatics I believe were inspired to create a more Biblical kind of praise and worship style. I would say that the Pentecostals have started to catch up with the praise and worship music. Even some of the Evangelicals have come on board with it.

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 06-22-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Both have moves of the Holy Spirit, both have active Gifts of the Spirit.

God doesnt discreminate between the 2. You will see great praise and worship from both sides.

hear is the declaration of faith my old trinitarian church

In the verbal inspiration of the Bible.
In one God eternally existing in three persons; namely, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
That Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of the Father, conceived of the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary. That Jesus was crucified, buried, and raised from the dead. That He ascended to heaven and is today at the right hand of the Father as the Intercessor.
That all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that repentance is commanded of God for all and necessary for forgiveness of sins.
That justification, regeneration, and the new birth are wrought by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.
In sanctification subsequent to the new birth, through faith in the blood of Christ; through the Word, and by the Holy Ghost.
Holiness to be God's standard of living for His people.
In the baptism with the Holy Ghost subsequent to a clean heart.
In speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance and that it is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
In water baptism by immersion, and all who repent should be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
Divine healing is provided for all in the atonement.
In the Lord's Supper and washing of the saints' feet.
In the premillennial second coming of Jesus. First, to resurrect the righteous dead and to catch away the living saints to Him in the air. Second, to reign on the earth a thousand years.
In the bodily resurrection; eternal life for the righteous, and eternal punishment for the wicked.

that can give you some comparisons
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerrak View Post
Both have moves of the Holy Spirit, both have active Gifts of the Spirit.

God doesnt discreminate between the 2. You will see great praise and worship from both sides.

hear is the declaration of faith my old trinitarian church

In the verbal inspiration of the Bible.
In one God eternally existing in three persons; namely, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
That Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of the Father, conceived of the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary. That Jesus was crucified, buried, and raised from the dead. That He ascended to heaven and is today at the right hand of the Father as the Intercessor.
That all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that repentance is commanded of God for all and necessary for forgiveness of sins.
That justification, regeneration, and the new birth are wrought by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.
In sanctification subsequent to the new birth, through faith in the blood of Christ; through the Word, and by the Holy Ghost.
Holiness to be God's standard of living for His people.
In the baptism with the Holy Ghost subsequent to a clean heart.
In speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance and that it is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
In water baptism by immersion, and all who repent should be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
Divine healing is provided for all in the atonement.
In the Lord's Supper and washing of the saints' feet.
In the premillennial second coming of Jesus. First, to resurrect the righteous dead and to catch away the living saints to Him in the air. Second, to reign on the earth a thousand years.
In the bodily resurrection; eternal life for the righteous, and eternal punishment for the wicked.

that can give you some comparisons
The fundemental teachings of Pentecostal and Charismatic groups are very similar. Except when you factor in ONENESS PENTECOSTALS.