Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Follower of Jesus

Bible Study ~How to Heal the Sick~

Healing the Sick 101By
Keith McCann M.A
Text: Mark 16:15-20

From this text three things stand out:

1.Believing (faith in the name or presence of the Lord)
2.Going/Obedience (follow, they went forth, laying hands on, casting out, drinking, etc.)
3.Confirming (shall recover, the Lord working with them, signs following)

•Forgiveness for Sin and the New Birth -- reconciliation with God
•Inner healing -- healing for damaged emotions through forgiveness.
•Healing of physical illness.
•Deliverance from spiritual bondage, demons.
•Healing of community and society corporate spiritual liberation

Six Healing Principles:
1. God wants to heal the sick today. This is the year of Favor.
2. God is looking for a corporate (signs of believers) ministry of healing.
3. Our trust in God is demonstrated by our actions. Faith w/o works is dead being alone.
4. We must be empowered by and led by the Holy Spirit. Jesus could do nothing without guidance of the Spirit (John 5:19).
5. Importance of loving relationships with our brothers & sisters. Many illnesses are a result of bitterness and broken relationships (I Corinthians. 11)
6. God wants to heal the whole person, not just the specific condition. All healing points to a greater truth of a right relationship with God.

Four Healing Values
•Provide a Healing Environment.
•Provide a Regularly Scheduled Ministry Time.
•Provide Training & Equipping of the Saints.
•Encourage a Life Style of Healing.

The importance of Faith is paramount
•Caution masquerades unbelief (Luke 4; Matthew 17:20)
•The problem is not a lack of power or holiness, but a lack of faith

This is a free gift, freely received freely give.
•Lose all notions of earning these gifts
•The carnal Corinthians came behind in no gift
•Men throughout History have been used who have had deep sin in their lives
•Gifts point to the character of the giver not the messenger

Practical Observations
•A revelation may be seen
•A revelation may be heard
•A revelation may be felt

Healing Observations
•Sometimes the gift works through physical contact
•Sometimes a touch is not involved, but a point of contact
•A much as modesty allows lay hands on the afflicted part of the body
•Minister with your eyes open
•Don’t think so much as praying for the sick; think of it as ministering healing
•Sometimes a lack of faith is substituted by loud and long praying
•Be specific, the more specific the prayer, the greater the result
•Helpful to sometimes ask a few questions to know how more specifically how to pray
•Helpful to ask the person to move the afflicted part of the body
•Ask what happened to the pain, what did you feel

Other Observations
•The more one operates or steps out in faith the mores successful they will be (Hebrews 5:11-14)
•No other way to grow in the supernatural than to be constantly practicing and risking
•Don’t rely on traditions or formulas, power doesn’t travel in words but in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ
•Put your confidence in Jesus not in your commitment to him (Acts 3:12-13)
•Put your confidence in God ability to lead you not in the ability of the devil to deceive you

Prayer engagement Model Acts 28:8
•Invite the presence of the Lord by prayer and worship
•Invite him to come and confirm His word by signs and wonders
•Place your hand on the afflicted part of the body and command the sickness and disease to go, and release healing
•Be sensitive to the Spirit for Words of Knowledge

Prayer Mentoring Example
Watch Me Do It
I watch you do it
You go and do it

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Matthew 7:6

Re: Bible Study ~How to Heal the Sick~

Good stuff.
This stuff really needs to be taught more in Pentecost.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

How do you train someone to heal (I may have missed the meaning on that)

Not receiving healing due to lack of faith in the annointer or the annointed

thanks

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 04-10-2008, 01:38 PM
the ultracon

Thanx for posting your work Keith.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless View Post
I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

How do you train someone to heal (I may have missed the meaning on that)

Not receiving healing due to lack of faith in the annointer or the annointed

thanks
How did Jesus teach the disciples to do what he did? They watched him, he watched them and then when they were ready he left them alone to do what he taught them.

I don't ever accuse someone of not having faith if healing doesn't come unless the Lord clearly reveal that to be the case. It is clear from scripture and church history that healing is available often if we aren't experiencing it then usually the root cause is how we are appropriating its benefit.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Most excellent. Printing this out.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Incredible India

Keith has used this material while teaching at CLC college.

Keith and I have put on a few small conferences and he has taught these principles then we have a time of hands on ministry and let the class pray for each other-we have had outstanding results
Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4him View Post
How did Jesus teach the disciples to do what he did? They watched him, he watched them and then when they were ready he left them alone to do what he taught them.

I don't ever accuse someone of not having faith if healing doesn't come unless the Lord clearly reveal that to be the case. It is clear from scripture and church history that healing is available often if we aren't experiencing it then usually the root cause is how we are appropriating its benefit.
Keith I want to thank you for responding. The healing subject always stirs me up.

I know my faith needs work in this area. I do take issue with your "root cause". Not from my standpoint but from others that are in need of a healing. At least they think they are. In fact at a recent mens conference I attended I watched as a young missionary walked off stage to a crippled wheel chair bound man. This was during a heightened worship service, things were hoppin to say the least. This young man laid his hands on the cripple, then proceeded to unstrap his legs. A couple friends gathered and encouraged him to rise, and after about 15 min they re-strapped and walked away.

Now even though I could not hear from all the worship I can't imagine that there wasn't enough faith, or that the appropriations weren't all in place. So what was the root here?

I have watched preachers tell my mother that she was healed. I have watched her stand to her feet throw her hands in the air and "except her healing". I would contend that my mother has great faith and that a man calling her out claiming healing would have a great measure as well, but to this day she still cannot hear. One local preacher even told me that her problem was attached spirits of some sort????

I feel like I do believe God can perform miracles, but at the same time I believe there is a difference in miracles and healing.

I believe in God's design to allow the body the amazing ability to heal itself. I also believe that its a miracle when a Dr. can do a heart transplant. I also know people who have claimed tumors falling off that don't claim relationship with Jesus at all.

Discussing this on another thread people responded with some great things that God had done in their life. I'm reading through a book by Dr. Fred Childs called "Beyond Imagination" and while I would argue that a lot of these testimonies are true miracles, this is what needs to be done. Shout it from the mountaintops.

I'm sure I'll get hammered for this post. But I love ya

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless View Post
Keith I want to thank you for responding. The healing subject always stirs me up.

I know my faith needs work in this area. I do take issue with your "root cause". Not from my standpoint but from others that are in need of a healing. At least they think they are. In fact at a recent mens conference I attended I watched as a young missionary walked off stage to a crippled wheel chair bound man. This was during a heightened worship service, things were hoppin to say the least. This young man laid his hands on the cripple, then proceeded to unstrap his legs. A couple friends gathered and encouraged him to rise, and after about 15 min they re-strapped and walked away.

Now even though I could not hear from all the worship I can't imagine that there wasn't enough faith, or that the appropriations weren't all in place. So what was the root here?

I have watched preachers tell my mother that she was healed. I have watched her stand to her feet throw her hands in the air and "except her healing". I would contend that my mother has great faith and that a man calling her out claiming healing would have a great measure as well, but to this day she still cannot hear. One local preacher even told me that her problem was attached spirits of some sort????

I feel like I do believe God can perform miracles, but at the same time I believe there is a difference in miracles and healing.

I believe in God's design to allow the body the amazing ability to heal itself. I also believe that its a miracle when a Dr. can do a heart transplant. I also know people who have claimed tumors falling off that don't claim relationship with Jesus at all.

Discussing this on another thread people responded with some great things that God had done in their life. I'm reading through a book by Dr. Fred Childs called "Beyond Imagination" and while I would argue that a lot of these testimonies are true miracles, this is what needs to be done. Shout it from the mountaintops.

I'm sure I'll get hammered for this post. But I love ya
Much of what you describe is coming from the Word of Faith type of ministries, much of it is emotional and hyped, true faith is spirit led and depends upon being sensitive to the specific leading to which person the Lord is healing. I will try to post some more on healing that will release your fears.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

I'm not sure why I feel that this relates to your thread but I will share it anyway.

I preached a message the other day entitled "Free Samples"

I won't drag the thought out...

But I went through many of the miracles Jesus performed in His life including acts such as the woman taken in adultery who was about to be stoned.

The woman with the issue of blood - healed.
And yet he didn't require anything of her. He didn't even invite her to church.

The blind man. Healed.
Jesus required nothing of him.

The woman taken in adultery. Forgiven.
She was simply told to go and sin no more.

Over and over Jesus healed. Freely. Without any "now that I've healed you there is something you need to do for me.

He simply saw needs and met them. For free.

Now... Do I believe that these lives were affected and probably found their way to the meetings from house to house? Absolutely. That is what his free adn untethered love does to people.

If I am to follow the example of the life of Christ then I would find myself moved with compassion when I see a need. Giving away free samples of His love and letting THAT LOVE have its work in peoples life.

The world is so tired of everything always having an agenda.

It's not like there is a limited supply of his love and power.

We can afford to give away free samples... and then walk off... as they stand there mesmerized... that someone ministered to them, healed them, strengthened them... for no reason at all.... except that they saw a need and it was just their nature to meet it.

Freely we have received... freely we should give.