Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

Have we confused tongues/int. with prophecy?

I think the distinctions between Charismatics and Pentecostals ... are interesting when it comes to gifts ...

Some we know have made a distinction between evidentiary tongues and the tongues we find in 1 Cor. 12-14 ... I don't know if the argument is compelling ...

but I personally have some questions as to the purpose of tongues and interpretation and the gift of prophecy in light of what we've been taught ....

I find the beginning verses of 1 Cor. 14 to add to those questions ...

Quote:
Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.
My observations:

1. Surely, Paul believes love is the ultimate fruit .... manifestation of the Spirit
but he then say we are earnestly desire the gifts but especially ...

that we may prophesy ... no, not desiring tongues or the other gifts ... but rather prophesy. I do not see this in the OP movement.

I find this to be a direct link and in harmony to Joel's prophecy .... where we find sons, daughters, men, women PROPHESYING as they are overwhelmed by the pouring out of the Spirit.

2. Tongues are unto God ... and clearly says these tongues do not speak unto man. (verse 2) When the Spirit is poured out on Pentecost we find those filled speaking or proclaiming the wonders and signs of God ... or his mighty deeds (Joel 2 and Acts 2)

They remark clearly " ...we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.”12 And they all continued in amazement and great perplexity, saying to one another, “What does this mean?”

This seems to be in line with Paul saying that he who speaks in tongues speaks in mysteries.
In the case of Cornelius and his household .... they speaks in tongues ... BUT LUKE also includes ... and they MAGNIFIED/EXALTED GOD.

Acts 10:42 - For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God.

There seems to be element of praise in this prophetic and spiritual manifestation.

3. Paul speaks that the function of prophesying is to edify the church, exhort and comfort ... a more direct speaking from God towards man ... specifically BELIEVERS or the corporate Body... yet in the OP and Pentecostal paradigm this seems to be the function of tongues and interpretation.

??????

Last edited by DAII; 01-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.