Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedDave View Post
We're not told of why or how he came to Jesus. He could have just been running by.
Yes we are. Read Mark 5:6

He saw Him, and then he ran to Him. There was a purpose involved.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
Are you sharing?
Often in fact.

I keep telling myself I am going to write a book. the skeleton is complete. it just needs fleshing out.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:46 PM
It's not easy being me.

There's been a few inanimate objects that I've had enough trouble with that I was almost persuaded they had the devil in em.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Sister Alvear

Devil worship is very feared in Brazil. Spells are cast on people...yes it really works. Witchdocters drink the blood of animals, bless and curse different objects depending on the reason.
I have felt the sinister powers of the dark evil one on many visits. I have seen objects that were used to curse people felt demonic activities around and about us as we bring light into this dark corner.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Devil worship is very feared in Brazil. Spells are cast on people...yes it really works. Witchdocters drink the blood of animals, bless and curse different objects depending on the reason.
I have felt the sinister powers of the dark evil one on many visits. I have seen objects that were used to curse people felt demonic activities around and about us as we bring light into this dark corner.
I have heard of this before as well.

When you go to countries like Haiti that is full of witchcraft makes us American's seem very ignorant in regards to the spirit realm.

Not that I want to know all their stuff, but doesn't the Bible say you perish for lack of knowledge?

Anyway, I think once you are aware of the existence of these things you know how to deal with them.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:15 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
A question asked and debated for many years.
Quote:

Many says no they can not.

Missionaries will tell you yes, they have seen it happen.

Now in my opinion I would say yes spirits can attach to objects.

Look at scripture.

One Paul anointed hankerchiefs that were sent out and many were healed.

Then look at Moses rod that turned into a snake and was used to cause many plaques. In fact afterwards Moses rob was called God's rob.

IF spirits can not be attached to objects then how were these things possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamor View Post
So for the folks who do not believe that spirits can attach themselves to objects --
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamor View Post

Would you allow things such as Oujia boards, magic 8 balls, tarot cards, etc in your home? Would you want items that had been used in satanic rituals around? Books on witchcraft? I mean, after all, they're just books....

Why or why not?
I'll avoid the obvious TIC comments about a 1969 Chevy I had back in the day, but at the time I was almost a believer in its demonic possession.

Tamor has a good question and others have answered like I would, except it might be helpful to add a thought about the role that symbols can play in the human mind and life. I don't think an object can be "possessed." You can check it for fingerprints and analyze it in all sorts of ways; but if there was a definitive "test" for the presence of spirits I think they'd all come up empty.

The object itself, however might trigger memories or thoughts and feelings in people that can be associated with spirits (here the object is being "used" like Sister Alvear and others said). While the thing is closed away someplace it can sit, its presence never even suspected. But let someone stumble upon it and they may open up the bowels of hell, so to speak.

I am somewhat hesitant still to pray with some people from some cultures- unless we can meet on my ground and under the circumstances of my choosing. I know that this discloses a weakness to some degree, but I have had experiences where I learned to plan ahead at times. My experience with Central American Indians is really spooky. People can come up with surprising things that the devil "uses" to create panic in the hearts of some and a loss of faith for others.

On a funny/bizarre note: I remember getting hit in the back of the head with an object that I'd rather not describe while out Christmas caroling once. For me, all thoughts of evangelism ended the moment I turned around. In the end, I wasn't hurt and it was just a "thing." Some people might laugh at that, but for me at the age I was, it was a spiritual attack as well as a gross insult.

With regard to the handkerchiefs (lit. "sweat rags") of Paul, these were "taken" from him by others and used. It doesn't appear to be the case that Paul himself sent out the handkerchiefs - Paul is passive in both verses (Acts 19:11-12). My interpretation is that the handkerchiefs (and aprons) were taken from Paul by other believers who took them to the sick and then God "wrought special miracles" attributable to Paul.

Idols offer an interesting example as well. Compare 1 Corinthians 8:4 with 1 Corinthians 10:20-21. On the one hand, the meat offered to an idol is offered to "nothing." On the other hand it is offered to "devils." Neither the meat nor the idol is different in either case. It's just what people attribute to these things; that's where the power is, in the hearts and minds of people. And greater is He that is in our hearts and minds than he that is in the hearts and minds of the world.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Sheltiedad

I believe that the placebo phenomenon can be applied for both positive and negative reactions to things.

I would even go so far that to say that if someone has been "prophesied" to about something bad happening that a lot of people are likely to self-fulfill that prophecy unconsciously. This goes for curses from witch doctors, etc. as well as things said over the pulpit about car wrecks, etc. (in any type of church).