Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Apostolic Assemblies Doctrinal Statement

I have very limited knowledge of the Hispanic Oneness Pentecostal organization
"Apostolic Assembly of the Faith in Christ Jesus"

I know there is a thread about their internal strife and legal woes but that is not the topic of this thread.

I am pasting a link to their website's official statement on "what we believe". I had assumed it would mirror the UPCI's but after speed reading portions of it today I was surprised to find that the statements regarding water baptism and theh baptism of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues sounded like that of a one stepper.

Nowhere did i see the 3 step plan of salvation declared with Acts 2:38 as the centerpiece.

If any of you are members of this Oneness organization of have knowledge of its doctrine can you please post some clarification of their doctrine?

http://asambleaapostolica.org/englis...at-we-believe/
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

I went to an AA church for a while and the emphasis was always on baptism. Just my experience.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Re: Apostolic Assemblies Doctrinal Statement

I believe my Pastor is from that background - used to be in the org - and his emphasis is mostly baptism as well.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I visited an Assembly of theirs where they practiced headcovering. The Pastor talked like they all did.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post

I know there is a thread about their internal strife and legal woes but that is not the topic of this thread.

I am pasting a link to their website's official statement on "what we believe". I had assumed it would mirror the UPCI's but after speed reading portions of it today I was surprised to find that the statements regarding water baptism and theh baptism of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues sounded like that of a one stepper.

Nowhere did i see the 3 step plan of salvation declared with Acts 2:38 as the centerpiece.

If any of you are members of this Oneness organization of have knowledge of its doctrine can you please post some clarification of their doctrine?

Doesnt sound much different than the UPCI articles of faith. Ive heard they believe 1 step but in practice many churches are three step

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

My wife was saved in the Apostolic Assemblies sister organization in Mexico, The Apostolic Church of the Faith in Jesus Christ. They also practice head coverings.

After my wife moved to America in 2001, she felt the liberty to study this issue out for herself instead of blindly submitting to what she had been taught. She came to the conclusion that the requiring head coverings today in the western world based on I Corinthians 11 is a flawed argument. The veil was the universal symbol in most of the known world of Paul's day for the woman's submissive place below the man. The veil was usually long and not like the tiny, transparent veils used by many Hispanic apostolic churches today. Furthermore, women did not leave the house or appear in public without such a head covering. If we are going to be consistent, should not women practice the latter today if they are going to embrace this teaching? Nowhere in the scripture do we see God commanding women to wear head coverings and Paul never made such as claim. It was a man made custom that Paul felt was good for christian women of that day to follow.

The conclusion my wife came to is that Paul is saying that even though women had been made equal in Christ to men, that this equality was no reason to remove their head coverings when assembled with other believers. However, we do not see in scripture an example of the apostles commanding Christian women to wear veils where no such custom was already in existence prior to the gospel being preached in that land, and neither should we impose such a command without proper, scriptural authority.

Last edited by Originalist; 08-30-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

They are basically split right down the middle on this topic, as is their sister organization in Mexico, the Apostolic Church of the Faith in Jesus Christ. A split will most likely happen over this issue.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Interesting info so far! Anybody know what their dress code is? Do they believe the uncut hair doctrine for women? What about makeup, jewelry, pants, etc?
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Interesting info so far! Anybody know what their dress code is? Do they believe the uncut hair doctrine for women? What about makeup, jewelry, pants, etc?
Pretty much the same. Some teach uncut hair but not sure they all do...

I believe no facial hair on men is a recent trend...perhaps so they can have UPCI preacher come

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

I have friends who were raised in the Apostolic organization. It was interesting. I was used to hearing people say: "When I came into the church...." "When I got the Holy Ghost...." "When I was saved....." But my Apostolic org. friends would always say: "When I got baptized...."

I asked one time and was told that baptism is a much bigger deal than getting the Holy Ghost. She told me that is their reference point for salvation. ??? I also have been told that they do not believe backslidders can come back to the right standing with the Lord. They take that from Hebrews where it says: "There is no more sacrifice..." Taken totally out of context. (I'm not sure that this is an organization wide belief, but there are some who believe it.) I don't think they teach much "GRACE."

Standards? Pretty much runs the gamut - just like UPC. You have some with very strict standards and some with very loose standards. For the most part, I don't think they believe in an "uncut" doctrine. I have seen too many of them who trim their hair and 'feather' their bangs. For the most part, I don't think the women wear slacks. I don't think that TV is a big issue. Back when nail polish was a HUGE no-no (you know, back before the 'french manicure' became acceptable), during the summer months when everyone was wearing open-toed shoes and sandals, my friends would wear VERY VERY pale pink polish on their toes. They were aghast that I let my naked toenails be seen.

Don't even get me started on the veil thing. I've seen them unfold napkins and put over their head to pray (if they didn't have a veil handy). Always wondered what they would do if they were seeing an accident unfold and they didn't have a veil on..... did they believe they wouldn't be heard if they began calling on the Lord???? I do think that they veil thing is losing its credibility with a lot of them and they no longer wear it. But again, I think that is a church to church thing and not the organization overall.

In the past several years, I think some of their churches have left that organization and become affiliated with the UPCI. At that time, they give up the veil.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11