Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Of Current Interest
Facebook

Notices

Of Current Interest Last minute deals and bargains. By Apostolic Friends being affliates, you can save here.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Banned

Epigenetics: Can sin effect multiple generations?

Scientists believe that life experiences, especially those that are traumatic or powerfully emotional, can leave impressions on DNA and be passed down to subsequent generations providing genetic memory that influences behavior.

If this is true, can an egregious sin leave an impression on one's DNA that can be passed down to their descendants?

If so, might this be the basis of God's OT judgments that extend to the third and fourth generation???

Thoughts?

Old 04-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Re: Epigenetics: Can sin effect multiple generatio

This is an interesting subject to ponder. I have wondered how much of a person's personality is influenced by DNA. If it is, perhaps some of the same problems that get passed down though the generations are because of this. I have also wondered if some "generational" curses aren't just some old devils who hung around the younger generation after the death of the older folks.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derAlte View Post
This is an interesting subject to ponder. I have wondered how much of a person's personality is influenced by DNA. If it is, perhaps some of the same problems that get passed down though the generations are because of this. I have also wondered if some "generational" curses aren't just some old devils who hung around the younger generation after the death of the older folks.
It is interesting.

I heard someone once accuse God of being a monster for visiting the inequities of the fathers unto the third and fourth generations and for commanding the absolute destruction of various peoples as a whole.

If there is any truth to this, the actual sins of the fathers might have very well been a part of the very being and nature of subsequent generations, justifying God's judgement. And those nations slotted for annihilation by God, might they have been so marked by sin as a whole, that their utter destruction was an act of God's grace and mercy for the rest of us?

It also might play a part in how Adam's fall left an indelible mark upon the entire human race, predisposing his children to sin, fear, and shame.

It also could highlight the depth of man's growing depravity based on the compounding sinful nature that exists our flesh, explaining why each generation appears to fall further and further into sin.

Also, might this be an aspect of the "mystery of iniquity" that is at work in fallen mankind, compounding our sinfulness, until it has mankind ripe for the final Antichrist?

And if this mystery is revealed in this... might that time be more near than we think?

I'm just pondering.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Aquila; 04-24-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:55 PM
Banned

This might also help explain how some struggle with various sinful proclivities after being born again, in spite of their absolute determination to break free?

Is this a part of what is sometimes called an infirmity of the flesh?

What if on top of spiritual regeneration and desire to live free, they need a physical healing?

What if we can't just always "will power" it, or "lay it down", and a deeper healing touch is necessary?

And in light of the possibility of such a really, this would mean that perhaps sin isn't always a matter of it only effecting us? On top of the social impact of our sin effecting others, wouldn't something like this also mean that our sin might also be passed on to the next generations, impacting their lives and the lives around them, in an endless cycle?

I'm just rambling now. Lol

It's just an interesting concept with deep spiritual implications.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
This be the basis of God's OT judgments that extend to the third and fourth generation???
No.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
This might also help explain
Not at all.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:14 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Funny how many "Christians" get their doctrine from propagandists (so called social scientists) rather than the Bible. Sad, really. No wonder Christendom is being burned to the ground, God has no use for spineless traitors. I foresee a "Church of the Stones" being raised up sometime soon.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 04-27-2018, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Funny how many "Christians" get their doctrine from propagandists (so called social scientists) rather than the Bible. Sad, really. No wonder Christendom is being burned to the ground, God has no use for spineless traitors. I foresee a "Church of the Stones" being raised up sometime soon.
I blame the Christian flat-earthers.

Last edited by Aquila; 04-27-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I'm just asking questions. Pondering. It's just for discussion. If I wanted theological debate, I'd have posted this in the debate section.

Let's discuss the questions.

If what they are finding is true... might science finally be discovering aspects to what the Bible has essentially told us all along?

Let's dig into the topic without drive-by "nopes" and insults from the peanut gallery.

Last edited by Aquila; 04-27-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I heard someone once accuse God of being a monster for visiting the inequities of the fathers unto the third and fourth generations and for commanding the absolute destruction of various peoples as a whole.
I do believe in generational curses as described in Exodus:

"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;"

The key part of this is the last five words of that verse: "of them that hate me."

I believe those who reject Christ will experience the generational curse.

Quote:
This might also help explain how some struggle with various sinful proclivities after being born again, in spite of their absolute determination to break free?
Once a person has been born again, they are a "new creature." Any bondage of the past or generational curse is broken.

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

Paul wrote of the war raging between the spirit and the flesh:

"Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."