Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-08-2022, 12:27 PM

Ideas on ministry

I would like to have ideas from you all, if you have any, on something along the lines of widows ministry and outreach. I am wanting to take my kids one Saturday a month this year, preferably the first Saturday of each month, and get them involved in acts of service. Friends of my kids, or others, might get involved as time goes on. So far I just have:

Yard work for Church Elderly. (Spring, fall)
Fixer up- Things needing repaired or painted(Church Elderly)
Pick up trash along road.
Nursing homes visiting
Door knocking?

Please give me some ideas.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 01-08-2022, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Re: Ideas on ministry

Before Covid at least our church did a monthly community project. Several hundred folks would show up to do it. Our church has a lower economic scale neighborhood near it and many times the outreach would be to go mow, mulch, weed eat, etc peoples lawns in the area around the church. Other things they have done is vounteered to repaint charities. We also have done things with a homeless ministry near the church.

Apart from that community outreach that varies in what it is we feed around 150 homeless people a hot breakfast in a park every weekend. Also ourch church, working with other churches in our community, provides a couple of nights shelter each week for homeless or endangered women with children. On our Saturday night services in the back area of the church you wll see cots set up all around. These folks are fed and have a place to shower as well.

if your church doesn't have organized community work you could always get the kids involved in serving food at a homeless shelter or something like that.

Another community outreach is one not suitable for kids. On either Friday or Saturday nights a group heads to an area where there are a lot of bars and set up to serve people who have drank too much coffee and hot dogs for free. These volunteers have been thanked but also cursed at. I heard a story about one man who cursed them out and gave them a hard time one weekend coming back the next and apologizing sheepishly for his behavior and insisting on giving them an offering!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"

Last edited by CC1; 01-08-2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:22 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Help the kids make craft giveaways that can be passed out with scripture
or maybe an offer to pray for people.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
I would like to have ideas from you all, if you have any, on something along the lines of widows ministry and outreach. I am wanting to take my kids one Saturday a month this year, preferably the first Saturday of each month, and get them involved in acts of service. Friends of my kids, or others, might get involved as time goes on. So far I just have:

Yard work for Church Elderly. (Spring, fall)
Fixer up- Things needing repaired or painted(Church Elderly)
Pick up trash along road.
Nursing homes visiting
Door knocking?

Please give me some ideas.
I’d say you have some awfully good ideas already. I commend you for focusing on ministry for the widows. It’s scriptural, it shows compassion and it will bear fruit both for the widows and the youth.

One idea I have had is having a widows supper. Invite widows from the church and the community. Treat them with respect, show them some love and invite their families as well. It will serve as a ministry to the widows and an outreach to their families.

Widows are sometimes overlooked. They usually appreciate the attention as much as anything else. I always try to speak to them.

And they make some awfully good prayer warriors.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Before Covid at least our church did a monthly community project. Several hundred folks would show up to do it. Our church has a lower economic scale neighborhood near it and many times the outreach would be to go mow, mulch, weed eat, etc peoples lawns in the area around the church. Other things they have done is vounteered to repaint charities. We also have done things with a homeless ministry near the church.

Apart from that community outreach that varies in what it is we feed around 150 homeless people a hot breakfast in a park every weekend. Also ourch church, working with other churches in our community, provides a couple of nights shelter each week for homeless or endangered women with children. On our Saturday night services in the back area of the church you wll see cots set up all around. These folks are fed and have a place to shower as well.

if your church doesn't have organized community work you could always get the kids involved in serving food at a homeless shelter or something like that.

Another community outreach is one not suitable for kids. On either Friday or Saturday nights a group heads to an area where there are a lot of bars and set up to serve people who have drank too much coffee and hot dogs for free. These volunteers have been thanked but also cursed at. I heard a story about one man who cursed them out and gave them a hard time one weekend coming back the next and apologizing sheepishly for his behavior and insisting on giving them an offering!
Great ideas! Our church has the only food pantry in town that didn't close down for COVID. A lot of really grateful people were served.