Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Re: Tithes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
So you are saying the Tithe was not a Command, ACCORDING to the Law after all?

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
I did not say that. I just disagree with your interpretation of this particular verse and its sentence structure.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Again, the law did not create the tithe. The tithe had been around for hundreds of years before the law came into being. What the law did is regulate it.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Banned

Okay lets try this....

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a regulation to take tithes of the people regulated by the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
Old 07-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay lets try this....

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people regulated by the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
FIFY
Old 07-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Banned

lol
Old 07-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The problem G.S., is the very "suggestion" of tithing as a way to give. The word "tithing" ended for the believer as the Law ended for the believer.

Do we suggest circumcision also?

It was before the Law.

People think the church is a racket because of the very suggestion of tithing.
Tithing didn't begin with the law and The law did not create tithing. I have read somewhere that pagans tithed to false gods. I don't pretend that it is a NT commandment of God that we must do, although, spirit led giving is. For us not to be able to make suggestions with biblical precedence is absurd. Paul said in some place I speak by permission and not command, or speak I and not the Lord.

I agree that there have been people who have took tithing way out of context, but some of your argument is way of context.

P.S. For practical purposes I would suggest circumcision for newly born children (IMO), but of course not for religious purposes. I do still teach circumcision of the heart though.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you ask how they are biblical recipients of tithes?

If you ask, I guarantee they will say the 5 fold ministry is a type of the Levitical priesthood(before they boot you) ...LOL
I don't believe that represents all. Many churches have pastoral staff on salary that probably don't even know what the tithe amount is. Most church funds do a lot more than pay a preacher.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
Tithing didn't begin with the law and The law did not create tithing. I have read somewhere that pagans tithed to false gods. I don't pretend that it is a NT commandment of God that we must do, although, spirit led giving is. For us not to be able to make suggestions with biblical precedence is absurd. Paul said in some place I speak by permission and not command, or speak I and not the Lord.

I agree that there have been people who have took tithing way out of context, but some of your argument is way of context.

P.S. For practical purposes I would suggest circumcision for newly born children (IMO), but of course not for religious purposes. I do still teach circumcision of the heart though.

The underlined part make us in agreement for the most part.

My point is that merely "suggesting" tithing, puts folks on a man made guilt trip. It is a subtle way of manipulating folks that have not let the Holy Ghost teach them to give.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I don't believe that represents all. Many churches have pastoral staff on salary that probably don't even know what the tithe amount is. Most church funds do a lot more than pay a preacher.

I do not oppose giving. I practice it myself.

I just want the Holy Ghost to lead me to give, not a pastor that quotes Mal.3 every week and tells the congregation(the royal priests) they are thieves and robbers..not cool.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Banned

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

The harsh reality is....THE LAW commanded them to take tithes of the people......

Last edited by Sean; 07-28-2015 at 04:05 PM.