Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Wasn't there some guy on here a while back, maybe a year or so, who left the UPC, and said he had a "hair cutting party"
yeah. His wife sat on the altar of the church (before they had it removed). He raised the scissors to the air and they shimmered in the production stage lights. CHOP! CUT! The hair of bondage fell to the floor. The wife jumped off of the altar and began to yell "I'm free! I'm free!" She even spoke in tongues.

People walked up to the front of the church. They passed the scissors around, one by one. There were too many women wanting this freedom so they got all the scissors from the Sunday school dept.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
yeah. His wife sat on the altar of the church (before they had it removed). He raised the scissors to the air and they shimmered in the production stage lights. CHOP! CUT! The hair of bondage fell to the floor. The wife jumped off of the altar and began to yell "I'm free! I'm free!" She even spoke in tongues. People walked up to the front of the church. They passed the scissors around, one by one. There were too many women wanting this freedom so they got all the scissors from the Sunday school dept.
Nevah happened
Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Re: Ministers that leave the UPCI

I want to know how many ex UPC ministers recommend books written by UPC people are they leave?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple4life View Post
dunnow!

Wasn't there a guy who had a church in Nashville who left like in 1985 or something. Why didn't he write a book?
I looked on the internet like five times! I couldn't find it!
As someone else mentioned I think you are probably referring to Pastor L.H. Hardwick who was Sr. Pastor of Christ Church Nashville for over 50 years until he retired a few years ago.

I attended Christ Church for about nine or ten years and don't think Pastor Hardwick felt his calling was to be an author. His calling was to be a pastor and he was a fabulous one!

He started pastoring CC when he was 18 or 19 years old and held a full time job and did fundraisers like church folks selling donuts on the weekends to make ends meet. He left the UPC in 1989 I believe. Christ Church grew from a small group of people to around 4,000 at the time of his retirement.

While he did not write a book he was asked to present a paper at Oxford University in England that there used to be a print copy of on the church website. Don't know if it is still there.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Even though the book is several decades old now I recommend David Wasmundt's book Neo Phariseeism that was brought up in this thread. Particularly for those who have been raised with a very legalistic mindset and would like to see a different view from what they have heard preached and taught in old time Pentecost for the most part.

Here is a link to the author's webiste and book order page;

http://www.wordonwings.com/wow-store.html
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 AM
God's Son

Quote:
Yes. Anything by David Bernard.

Best line on this thread ever.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 11-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple4life View Post

I didn't say the PPH should not exist. I do not care what the PPH does. I made an observation. I did not call for everybody to get torches and pitchforks.

But by your response it sounds like you would like me to shut up and not exist. Everybody can ask questions as long as they agree with you?
That's how Ferd rolls....if you're not UPC he treats you like MSNBC treats the Tea Party.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 05-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
yeah. His wife sat on the altar of the church (before they had it removed). He raised the scissors to the air and they shimmered in the production stage lights. CHOP! CUT! The hair of bondage fell to the floor. The wife jumped off of the altar and began to yell "I'm free! I'm free!" She even spoke in tongues.

People walked up to the front of the church. They passed the scissors around, one by one. There were too many women wanting this freedom so they got all the scissors from the Sunday school dept.

Is it wrong that Im imagining what a pain it is to try and cut hair with safety scissors?
Old 05-12-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Is it wrong that Im imagining what a pain it is to try and cut hair with safety scissors?
Lol. Why did you dig this up? It’s my telling of a fabricated story spread about a hair cutting party that never took place at a church pastored by a former poster.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Guess I didn't get the memo. I left the UPC years ago, should I write a book too?
Yes