Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Thoughts on what brings God's blessings

We've all heard the concept that when we do things that please the Lord, He sends HIs blessings.

However, does the bible teach that?

Am I missing something?

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Faith in God’s works, not our own works, is what brings us the blessings. We are in Christ by faith. We were baptized into Him when we were saved from sin by trust in His work on the cross as the only means by which anyone can be righteous enough to stand before God. The moment we were saved, before we did one good deed, we were as holy as Jesus Christ, for He gave us His holiness. He gave us His righteousness! In fact, He was made righteousness for our sakes!

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Romans 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Having been positioned in Christ, we have everything we need to be counted righteous before God!

Colossians 2:7-10 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. (8) Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (10) And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

We need to be so rooted in Him that nobody can convince us that we need to do or not do a particular act in order for God to consider us holy and righteous. God did the work to make us righteous when Christ died, was buried and rose from the dead! That death and resurrection was the grounds Christ stood on in order to enter Heaven and make atonement for us as the High Priest took sacrificial blood and brought it into the Most Holy Place.

Paul said we are complete in Christ. You cannot add to the accomplishment that God provided in being made righteous before God, so get rooted in Him based upon that truth so much so that nobody can pull you out. The way in which people can steal or spoil you from being in Christ is to convince you that you need more than the work of the cross to be in right standing before God.

Paul wrote that he sought to see the Colossians so rooted perfectly in Him, looking to nothing other than the work of Christ on the cross to justify them before God, that when they stand before God they would be firm in that foundation.

Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

God reconciled us to Himself by the work of Christ.

Colossians 1:21-23 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled (22) In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: (23) If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

By having been put in the body of Christ through baptism into His death, that and that alone is how we can stand holy before God without any worry of requiring reproof or blame. And if that is what it takes to stand before God, then we must remain in that place and not allow any other contrary thought to remove us from that place. The moment that we think that we must do something to cause God to consider us holy, in addition to what God did in His work of the cross, is the moment we have been stolen and spoiled from that safe haven of having been placed in Christ.

The fulness of the Godhead is in Christ, and that means everything any9body will ever need from God is at our dis-posal simply by being in Christ! For that reason, Paul said that there are treasures that hidden in Him, that cannot be known by those who are not in Him.
Colossians 2:2-3 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; (3) In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

So, do not leave this treasure trove of Christ! Do not allow yourself to be removed by thinking that Christ’s work on the cross plus a good deed makes you acceptable to God and worthy of blessings.

Being in Christ alone makes us unreproveable in His sight.

Now, this does not mean we can sin and not lose bless-ings. God put us in a place of blessings by placing us in Christ. Those who rely completely on that work of the cross for our salvation are firmly in Christ. Committing sin brings danger to that, and is cause for the need to seek forgiveness. He’s faithful and just to forgive us if we confess and pray for it! But nothing we do can earn blessings. He did the work to earn the blessings, but we can see those blessings fly away by committing sin.

This is an important distinction that many people over-look and miss. We cannot earn salvation by works of righteousness, but we can keep salvation by not sinning. That in no way means that doing good deeds earns salvation. We have it already without having done a good deed. If we never did a good deed, we would still be saved. But if we do sinful deeds, they will jeopardize our standing in God and we actually remove ourselves from grade. Picture it as though God placed us on a high peak, but committing sin causes us to fall, and only God can bring us back up through our request and repentance. We can cause ourselves to fall, but we cannot pick ourselves back up.

Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, (39) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

We can cause ourselves to be separated from the love of God. Nothing outside of ourselves can do this. Paul outlined everything that is unable to separate us from God’s love except ourselves in the passage above.

Only Christ’s good work earns our salvation, and anything that we do cannot gain it, but it can lose it.

Therefore, when we think that doing a good deed causes God to bless us, then we are thinking that we can add to the work of God to see blessings come our way.

Now, answers to prayer can come when we take steps of faith and believe God. Jesus told us to believe after we pray, and don’t doubt, and whatever we pray for will come to pass. But these are not blessings! They are answers to faithful prayer.

God is pleased when we obey Him. But the blessings that come our way are not the result of obeying God. The blessings are the result of Christ’s work moving God to be pleased with us. Do a word search in the New Testament using the words bless, blessing and blessings. You will not find that an obedient act that you do will bring God’s blessing. Only the work of Christ caused the blessings of God to come upon us.

Ephesians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: (4) According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

If we are already blessed with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places, what other blessings can there be? By being in Christ we have it all! Thus, we are complete in Him!
Are there things that we can do to earn God’s pleasure?

Isaiah 53:10-11 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. (11) He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

By Christ having borne our sins and iniquities, God was made to look on us and be satisfied that we were reconciled to Him. It’s not though anything that we can do that accomplishes this. Our only means of pleasing God is through Christ’s work of taking our sins upon Himself and dying for them. We do not read that God looks at a good deed that we perform and is satisfied. He shall see of the travail of Christ’s soul and shall be satisfied.

Am I missing something?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 11-26-2019, 04:51 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Thoughts on what brings God's blessings

what about the blessings and curses of Deuteronomy 28 ?
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
what about the blessings and curses of Deuteronomy 28 ?
One could say that's under law. I'm talking about New Covenant blessings. in light of Eph 1:3. Does grace make a difference? Or does God bless us for things we do for Him? It seems if we're blessed with all spiritual blessings already, what else could he bless us for? That's where I am coming from.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 11-26-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:56 AM
Covenant Apostolic

New covenant blessings are dependent upon walking in the Spirit and not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh, Galatians 5
Old 11-27-2019, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

I look at it like this, that there is a difference between our position (identity) and our fruit(works). You can be seated with Christ but not reigning in him in this life or through him in your walk. So we are blessed in him but if we are walking in disobedience it will not come to fruitation in our lives. Just frustration.

The million dollar question is does our sins cancel our place in him?

More later....
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

I’m trying to understand what your relaying to us. I believe your saying that, there’s nothing we can do that will add blessings to our lives in Christ.

Matthew 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 12:50
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Through obedience to the word of God, will add blessings to our life in him. Will have all things pertaining to the previous verses if we seek first the kingdom. If we do the will of God then well enter into heaven and will be called his brother, and mother. I believe prayer is a work, fasting is a work, being baptized is a work, a lot of what Jesus taught us as well as Paul, how were to keep sanctified are works. They’re not our works of our righteousness, but the works of God, through our obedience to him he blesses us. We need to chose to follow him, he
will not make us follow him, we have to chose to follow him and as a reward he blesses us.

James 2:14
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

Despite popular belief, faith does not save you being alone. You need to add works to your faith. If faith is not exercised is no good. Again, were not saved through works of righteousness that we have done. Yet, after were saved we exercise our faith through discipline and obedience to the word of God, and as God sees that he blesses us, the scripture relates him to a earthly father...

Matthew 7:11
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Let’s not forget...

Psalm 37:4-5
Delight thyself also in the Lord ; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord ; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

I relate this relationship in Jesus as a relationship between a man and his wife.
My wife has access to all my business and personal accounts, all I have is hers. Yet, it didn’t start off that way, it took time to get to that point! Same in the spiritual realm, as you grow, the blessings grow. Remain faithful to God and he’ll be faithful to you.

We should understand that we were never good enough, we need Jesus! This is my simple child like faith, as I please my husband (Jesus) hell bless me. Just like when my wife pleases me, man I love to do stuff for her.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
We've all heard the concept that when we do things that please the Lord, He sends HIs blessings.

However, does the bible teach that?

Am I missing something?

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Faith in God’s works, not our own works, is what brings us the blessings. We are in Christ by faith. We were baptized into Him when we were saved from sin by trust in His work on the cross as the only means by which anyone can be righteous enough to stand before God. The moment we were saved, before we did one good deed, we were as holy as Jesus Christ, for He gave us His holiness. He gave us His righteousness! In fact, He was made righteousness for our sakes!

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Romans 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Having been positioned in Christ, we have everything we need to be counted righteous before God!

Colossians 2:7-10 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. (8) Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (10) And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

We need to be so rooted in Him that nobody can convince us that we need to do or not do a particular act in order for God to consider us holy and righteous. God did the work to make us righteous when Christ died, was buried and rose from the dead! That death and resurrection was the grounds Christ stood on in order to enter Heaven and make atonement for us as the High Priest took sacrificial blood and brought it into the Most Holy Place.

Paul said we are complete in Christ. You cannot add to the accomplishment that God provided in being made righteous before God, so get rooted in Him based upon that truth so much so that nobody can pull you out. The way in which people can steal or spoil you from being in Christ is to convince you that you need more than the work of the cross to be in right standing before God.

Paul wrote that he sought to see the Colossians so rooted perfectly in Him, looking to nothing other than the work of Christ on the cross to justify them before God, that when they stand before God they would be firm in that foundation.

Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

God reconciled us to Himself by the work of Christ.

Colossians 1:21-23 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled (22) In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: (23) If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

By having been put in the body of Christ through baptism into His death, that and that alone is how we can stand holy before God without any worry of requiring reproof or blame. And if that is what it takes to stand before God, then we must remain in that place and not allow any other contrary thought to remove us from that place. The moment that we think that we must do something to cause God to consider us holy, in addition to what God did in His work of the cross, is the moment we have been stolen and spoiled from that safe haven of having been placed in Christ.

The fulness of the Godhead is in Christ, and that means everything any9body will ever need from God is at our dis-posal simply by being in Christ! For that reason, Paul said that there are treasures that hidden in Him, that cannot be known by those who are not in Him.
Colossians 2:2-3 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; (3) In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

So, do not leave this treasure trove of Christ! Do not allow yourself to be removed by thinking that Christ’s work on the cross plus a good deed makes you acceptable to God and worthy of blessings.

Being in Christ alone makes us unreproveable in His sight.

Now, this does not mean we can sin and not lose bless-ings. God put us in a place of blessings by placing us in Christ. Those who rely completely on that work of the cross for our salvation are firmly in Christ. Committing sin brings danger to that, and is cause for the need to seek forgiveness. He’s faithful and just to forgive us if we confess and pray for it! But nothing we do can earn blessings. He did the work to earn the blessings, but we can see those blessings fly away by committing sin.

This is an important distinction that many people over-look and miss. We cannot earn salvation by works of righteousness, but we can keep salvation by not sinning. That in no way means that doing good deeds earns salvation. We have it already without having done a good deed. If we never did a good deed, we would still be saved. But if we do sinful deeds, they will jeopardize our standing in God and we actually remove ourselves from grade. Picture it as though God placed us on a high peak, but committing sin causes us to fall, and only God can bring us back up through our request and repentance. We can cause ourselves to fall, but we cannot pick ourselves back up.

Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, (39) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

We can cause ourselves to be separated from the love of God. Nothing outside of ourselves can do this. Paul outlined everything that is unable to separate us from God’s love except ourselves in the passage above.

Only Christ’s good work earns our salvation, and anything that we do cannot gain it, but it can lose it.

Therefore, when we think that doing a good deed causes God to bless us, then we are thinking that we can add to the work of God to see blessings come our way.

Now, answers to prayer can come when we take steps of faith and believe God. Jesus told us to believe after we pray, and don’t doubt, and whatever we pray for will come to pass. But these are not blessings! They are answers to faithful prayer.

God is pleased when we obey Him. But the blessings that come our way are not the result of obeying God. The blessings are the result of Christ’s work moving God to be pleased with us. Do a word search in the New Testament using the words bless, blessing and blessings. You will not find that an obedient act that you do will bring God’s blessing. Only the work of Christ caused the blessings of God to come upon us.

Ephesians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: (4) According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

If we are already blessed with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places, what other blessings can there be? By being in Christ we have it all! Thus, we are complete in Him!
Are there things that we can do to earn God’s pleasure?

Isaiah 53:10-11 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. (11) He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

By Christ having borne our sins and iniquities, God was made to look on us and be satisfied that we were reconciled to Him. It’s not though anything that we can do that accomplishes this. Our only means of pleasing God is through Christ’s work of taking our sins upon Himself and dying for them. We do not read that God looks at a good deed that we perform and is satisfied. He shall see of the travail of Christ’s soul and shall be satisfied.

Am I missing something?
I would say that, human nature being what is, your presentation will most likely be misconstrued to result in an application you would oppose. So perhaps a different, more precise, way of explaining these things might be less fraught with misinterpretation?

The last thing this generation needs to hear is anything they can twist into a "stop doing and trying" outlook. It might be more timely for them to hear things like "Here's how we know that we know Him: when we keep His commandments."

As for blessings, a blessing is anything positive, anything that adds value, any kind of benefit. All blessings are in Christ, but who is in Christ? Not those who just claim to be in Him, but those who actually are in Him. And that is demonstrated or evidenced by obedience, among other things.

I do believe there are "blessings" that result from certain actions we take. The farmer who doesn't till and sow doesn't get blessed with a crop, Christian or not.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-28-2019, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
One could say that's under law. I'm talking about New Covenant blessings. in light of Eph 1:3. Does grace make a difference? Or does God bless us for things we do for Him? It seems if we're blessed with all spiritual blessings already, what else could he bless us for? That's where I am coming from.

I am blessed because God’s Word said I am blessed. For example, I don’t have to ask God to bless my finances because He already said, “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again” (Luke 6:38).

So I never ask, I just thank/praise God for honoring His Word in blessing my finances because I honor His Word in obeying it. When I hearken diligently unto His Word He blesses my going out and coming in… He blesses my storehouse. I don’t pay my tithes, I return unto the Lord a tithe because it is His due, and because I have seen the benefit of God opening the windows of heaven.

God’s blessings follow my obedience because God cannot go back on His Word. They follow me. They overtake me. It is not a works based give and take... you do for me and I do for you. Rather it is love based. Because I love the Lord, I obey His Word. and because He loves me, He honors His Word, and I am blessed.

And in this, I consider Deuteronomy 28 to be as applicable to my life as much as any NT rendering… just my opinion, Elder…
Old 11-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
I am blessed because God’s Word said I am blessed. For example, I don’t have to ask God to bless my finances because He already said, “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again” (Luke 6:38).

So I never ask, I just thank/praise God for honoring His Word in blessing my finances because I honor His Word in obeying it. When I hearken diligently unto His Word He blesses my going out and coming in… He blesses my storehouse. I don’t pay my tithes, I return unto the Lord a tithe because it is His due, and because I have seen the benefit of God opening the windows of heaven.

God’s blessings follow my obedience because God cannot go back on His Word. They follow me. They overtake me. It is not a works based give and take... you do for me and I do for you. Rather it is love based. Because I love the Lord, I obey His Word. and because He loves me, He honors His Word, and I am blessed.

And in this, I consider Deuteronomy 28 to be as applicable to my life as much as any NT rendering… just my opinion, Elder…
That's what I'm after.. opinions.

I do nto beleve that what we do affords blessings in the new covenant. Eph 1:3-4 seems to say that we already have all we can get by being in Christ, which is what Col 2 seems to say when it reads we are compelte in him.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:24 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
That's what I'm after.. opinions.

I do nto beleve that what we do affords blessings in the new covenant. Eph 1:3-4 seems to say that we already have all we can get by being in Christ, which is what Col 2 seems to say when it reads we are compelte in him.
All my money is in the bank.

But I still got to write and sign the checks.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf