Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground > The Shopping Mall
Facebook

Notices

The Shopping Mall Find a great deal online? Share it here... Also the place to find links for consumer help sites, etc ...

Old 04-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Re: Holiness Swim Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
It is very impractical, but again, they're trying to have fun and still obey rules or abide by their own convictions. Either way, I'm appreciative when people get their families out of the house and try to have a nice time. I know way too many Apostolics who answer the problem by being couch potatoes and staying at home all the time. That's way worse, IMO.

That said, there are some things you simply can't do modestly or safely in a skirt. ESPECIALLY ski!
I hear ya. If one really follows the rules there isn't much to do besides sit at home staring at the place there WOULD be a television if they were permitted, or playing a board game (with a spinner -NO dice allowed), sitting at church 3-30 times a week, or standing inline at the local Old Country Buffet.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I hear ya. If one really follows the rules there isn't much to do besides sit at home staring at the place there WOULD be a television if they were permitted, or playing a board game (with a spinner -NO dice allowed), sitting at church 3-30 times a week, or standing inline at the local Old Country Buffet.

I honestly feel like it lately. My music dept. sabbatical is over, and I'm back in with both feet. Goodness! Sunday church (early for choir), Monday nights 1-2x/mth - Burmese-English class, Tuesdays are now going to be music practice 2-3x/mth, Wednesday night bible classes (I teach), Thursday night ACTS class 1-2/month. Plus homeschool & kids activities plugged in wherever possible.

If I didn't have a day-timer, I'd be very, VERY frazzled. That thing keeps me sane.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road

Last edited by MissBrattified; 04-30-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I have seen Muslim women wear a very similar bathing suit to Pensacola Beach to swim at night. We went out to the board walk all the time for hot dogs and there they were in full array with head coverings and all.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Wink Re: Holiness Swim Wear

Thank you Mrs. B. I meant no harm
Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

I was raised all of my life swimming in clothes. Jean skirts, jeans (on the males), etc. Our whole church would go to the lake and go swimming in full denim garb. It never bothered me at all.

My husband, who wasn't raised in church, was embarrassed by it. He felt completely stupid. But, I was just having fun and didn't care who didn't like it. Neither of us was wrong, we just felt differently about it.

BUT.... people around us probably did think we were completely crazy, and THEY weren't wrong either! Their opinion was completely valid. It IS very odd to go swimming in denim. It's unusual to go swimming in your everyday clothes. So, there would be no point in us being offended that they thought we were strange. They had a valid opinion.

But, they didn't come over with a gun and tell us we couldn't do it, so all was good. We were exercising our freedom, and they were exercising their freedom of opinion.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Wink Re: Holiness Swim Wear

Quiteplace,
We did the same thing. We used to go canoeing all the time in denium. I would say that
it didn't bother me...............but it did a little.

We rolled our pants up to our knees..........knee shorts would have been so much better.

We can call it conviction all we want, but everybody around me wanted to have on a
pair of shorts!!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERUP View Post
Quiteplace,
We did the same thing. We used to go canoeing all the time in denium. I would say that
it didn't bother me...............but it did a little.

We rolled our pants up to our knees..........knee shorts would have been so much better.

We can call it conviction all we want, but everybody around me wanted to have on a
pair of shorts!!
The people I was with.... it bothered some, and not others. I heard some talking about how the girls coming out of the water pulling their clinging clothes from their bodies was more distracting than if they'd just been wearing normal swim clothes.

Of course, a lot of churches solved that problem by not allowing males and females to swim in the same area.

Last edited by *AQuietPlace*; 04-30-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I'm skeered to say anything!!!! Lady Rev. putting a whipping on me this morning!!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERUP View Post
I'm skeered to say anything!!!!
LOL!!! I'm sorry, POWERUP. It was not my intent to make you feel that you couldn't express your opinion.

I think the words "stupid" and "ignorant" were the ones that ticked me off. If you could just avoid those, we'd all be a little happier.

I don't even let me kids use the "s" word.

I do understand that conservative pentecostals stand out from the crowd under normal circumstances, and when they take on certain environments or activities, they can stick out like a sore thumb. I know I have certainly stood out from the crowd before. It wasn't on purpose--it just happened because I dress differently from other people on a regular basis, and that's more visible under certain circumstances.

I don't think it makes people stupid or ignorant to follow their convictions. They may LOOK weird or stupid to other people, but that doesn't mean it's the case. As Christians, we should try not to mock our brothers and sisters for abiding by their convictions. Remember what Paul said about brothers and meat and weaknesses? He didn't mock his brothers for stumbling over eating meat. He made room for it.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Mrs. B.,

Really I am sorry for saying those words. Honestly.

It was stupid of me, and me sound ignorant!!!

But I wasn't saying the person was stupid or ignorant. Just the situation.

Hope ya have a great weekend.